Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:51 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times

Advertisements

I was curious why so many people move out here from Boston? This is something I've often pondered. At first, I thought it was my imagination, and I had some sort of aural disposition to only pay attention to those transplants who said that they were from Boston. But then, after joining this wonderful forum, it seems like maybe 10% of the people who are moving out here or who moved out here say they are from Boston. Now I know that weather has got to be a major factor. But could there possibly be more to it? I mean, I just don't see a lot of posts on here where people state that they are coming from Des Moines or Fargo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:40 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I mean, I just don't see a lot of posts on here where people state that they are coming from Des Moines or Fargo.
The days of people moving here from the Midwest are long gone. Our cost of living is way too high for most of them. In the last few years, I've noticed that most of those moving here (especially here on City-Data), are coming from other expensive cities like NYC, Boston, DC, SF, etc, which probably explains why our percentage of college graduates, median household income and variety of nightlife/restaurant options have all gotten better over the last decade.

Last edited by sdurbanite; 02-13-2010 at 07:50 PM..

Old 02-13-2010, 08:30 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Boston is a college town, science town, and a second-tier city like San Diego. It attracts a lot of people who go to college from elsewhere in the northeast and stick around for a few years before moving on. The northeastern job market favors the hyper-competitive and the highly-degreed; those who cant or won't compete often view San Diego as an escape route from both the cold winters and the northeastern lifestyle and the accompanying expecations from family and friends.

I would call San Diego an analog to Boston, i.e. Boston is a party town, the place where a lot of people go to college, but few settle in for the long term. The truly career-driven go to NYC, the degreed non-academics go to DC, those who stay are often either scientists, academics, or drunkards. Our relationship to LA, SF, is similar.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 02-13-2010 at 09:33 PM..

Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
As one, Sass is right on target.
As the a former good President once said, "It's the economy, stupid" and weather.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:40 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
I was wondering the exact same thing DJ. It's like every other post on the SD forum is someone from Boston asking a bunch of questions about everything San Diego.

The only problem I see with a lot of North Easterners moving here, is that they wind up making housing more expensive for the rest of us San Diegan's. It's great that these people that come to SD have an education and are very smart people that contribute to our city, but it comes to a point when they start purchasing property like crazy, raising the value of homes because they are the only ones able to afford it, since SD is expensive just like Boston and they are already used to that. Honestly the only people living the California dream in San Diego are the ones with some sort of degree or other forms of higher education, because the blue collar workforce is suffering financially compared to people that make over $100,000 a year locally, and can barely survive.

I bet over half of the people that own businesses downtown in or around the Gaslamp Quarter, are not even from San Diego. Which is fine, because as long as we have cool unique businesses popping up, it's better for all of us San Diegan's.

I just hope that downtown quits building so many damn luxury condo's, there is enough of them already, what downtown needs more of is commercial property to house more clubs, more bars, shops, and restaurants that takes people out of the Gaslamp for once.

It's funny how this post popped up, because about 3 days ago, I was at Henrys shopping, and I over heard this girl talking to this guy about living here, and that she was from Boston! and he was from Philly!! I put that on. 2 complete strangers randomly started talking in the vitamin section to find out that they are both originally from the East Coast. That was really weird.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
The only problem I see with a lot of North Easterners moving here, is that they wind up making housing more expensive for the rest of us San Diegan's.
You can blame the largely homegrown cadre of local real estate speculators and developers for that.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:14 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Since apt. rentals in SD are comparable (even a bit cheaper?) to Boston rental prices, I'd consider SD for a change of pace. Seems I can buy a cheap 1Br condo ($65k-$110k) on Craigslist within 5-40 miles of downtown Boston (but have bad credit) vs. few 1br condos under 150k in SD. As long as I need to rent, maybe SD is an option.

Boston winters are not that cold or snowy...it's true most years...just WINDY!! No full snow cover in Boston now. Our ave. Winter high is 38 degrees; we rarely go under 15-20 degrees at night. It's not Minneapolis cold! Hardly ever single digits or zero! But it's the WIND! I wonder if the 4 seasons are a bit overrated? Spring and fall are so sweet, but short. Boston winters and summers can drag on, and drag one down, imo. Bostonians tend to think our weather is so cold and snowy. Hah. Not true so much. As if other parts of U.S. don't get frigid!

Maybe consistent weather, most of the year like in SD, is therapeutic? That's why I'd consider SD, if moving. LA's size and urban blight in some areas scare me. SD seems like a large town? I visited in Oct. 1988 for a couple days, and realized it's changed much.

But I'd miss not have live hockey games to attend. Seems that you lost the Gulls a couple yrs. ago, even though it was only a lower level pro hockey.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Since apt. rentals in SD are comparable (even a bit cheaper?) to Boston rental prices, I'd consider SD for a change of pace. Seems I can buy a cheap 1Br condo ($65k-$110k) on Craigslist within 5-40 miles of downtown Boston (but have bad credit) vs. few 1br condos under 150k in SD. As long as I need to rent, maybe SD is an option.

Boston winters are not that cold or snowy...it's true most years...just WINDY!! No full snow cover in Boston now. Our ave. Winter high is 38 degrees; we rarely go under 15-20 degrees at night. It's not Minneapolis cold! Hardly ever single digits or zero! But it's the WIND! I wonder if the 4 seasons are a bit overrated? Spring and fall are so sweet, but short. Boston winters and summers can drag on, and drag one down, imo. Bostonians tend to think our weather is so cold and snowy. Hah. Not true so much. As if other parts of U.S. don't get frigid!

Maybe consistent weather, most of the year like in SD, is therapeutic? That's why I'd consider SD, if moving. LA's size and urban blight in some areas scare me. SD seems like a large town? I visited in Oct. 1988 for a couple days, and realized it's changed much.

But I'd miss not have live hockey games to attend. Seems that you lost the Gulls a couple yrs. ago, even though it was only a lower level pro hockey.
The Anaheim Ducks are about 2 hours north of downtown SD for your NHL fix.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Aside from metro DC and NYC most of the Northeast is going to be more affordable than California. Once you get out of central Boston's historic areas the pricing drops down considerably; you can get more house with more property and better schools in Boston than you can in CA.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,633 times
Hey there

I am a single mom from Boston who is on her way to moving to the San Diego area. All the forum comments above are relevant and interesting...but we all have our individual motivations for a move west. My attraction is that my boys are living in San Diego and one is playing division one soccer at University...and I want to share that excitement as well. So....my obvious question is what would you all suggest as good areas to live in? I am looking for a community feel and although I might be considered an antique in California....I can still walk and chew gum and am looking forward to an outside lifestyle and creating new and lasting friendships. I have been researching for a while and am getting a better feel for communities....but would love some positive feedback from the group. Thanks in advance for allowing one more wind-blown Boson soul to come your way.

Best.

Alison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego