Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:45 AM

3 posts, read 13,090 times

Advertisements

For someone who is not too familiar with El Cajon-- it means "the box" in spanish-- as it's a valley surrounded by hills. The bottom of the box is pretty rough- very working class. The edges of the box and on top of the hills are actually very nice-- Fletcher Hills to the northwest, Mt. Helix to the west, Rancho San Diego to the south, and Granite Hills to the east. Check them out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 01:55 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
El Cajon flats is apartment central. They are everywhere.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:00 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I think many San Diegans are intimidated and scared of LA.
I agree with this statement entirely.

When I lived there, I would frequent OC and LA for different activities and my neighbors thought I was nuts.

San Diego is extremely insular in that nobody ventures north for fear of LA (with the exception of the annual trips to Disneyland), south for fear of Mexico and east because there simply is not much there other than desert.

This was one of my least favorite things about San Diego, its isolation and the "why do we care about anything else because it is so nice here" mentality that comes with that train of thought. LA is basically like dozens of small cities within a major metropolis, painting the entire area with a single brush is really a shame as you deny yourself the experience of exploring all it has to offer.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:27 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
San Diego is extremely insular in that nobody ventures north for fear of LA
Exaggerate much?

Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
I'm not scared of LA, but I despise it. LA is the epitome of what's wrong with society. The freeways are a mess, I don't drive a Benz, I don't go to the tanning salon, I'm not a trust fund kid, and I don't use hair "product".

Though San Diego is a tamer version of LA, if you've ever watched Million Dollar Listing, you'll quickly realize why I hate LA.

Edit: I'm making sweeping generalizations here obviously all of LA isn't like this...

Old 05-16-2010, 09:15 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
LA is the epitome of what's wrong with society.
LA is a fast paced, huge, diverse city with a ton of cultural and employment offerings especially compared to a small city like San DIego. For example, have you looked at what Los Angeles is spending on subway and light rail systems? The 2010's will be known as the great rail building boom in the LA basin.

Anyway, I believe your "gross generalization" illustrates the point perfectly about San Diegans.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
...compared to a small city like San DIego. For example, have you looked at what Los Angeles is spending on subway and light rail systems? The 2010's will be known as the great rail building boom in the LA basin.
A small city? Per google, San Diego and county is approx. 3 million, LA county is approx. 4 million. I'd hardly call that "small".

And subway and light rail won't do isht for LA, since everything is so spread out.

If you want to see a good public transportation system go up to SF, at least they have BART.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,197 times
Quote:
A small city? Per google, San Diego and county is approx. 3 million, LA county is approx. 4 million. I'd hardly call that "small".

And subway and light rail won't do isht for LA, since everything is so spread out.

If you want to see a good public transportation system go up to SF, at least they have BART.
LA county has about 10 mill in it

Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
City of LA is 4 million. LA County has 10 million. If you include greater LA, OC, Ventura and Inland empire as a megaplex, you have almost 13 million people.

San Diego is the 7th or 8th largest city in the USA but is the 17th largest metropolitan area. It is smaller than Detroit, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Pheonix and Boston.

Like it or not LA is the template for San Diego and really most western cities, it's an important glimpse into our past, present and future. I am a huge James Ellroy fan and love reading about LA, there is something fascinating about it's size, depth, and fractiousness. San Diego, while certainly a lot nicer, is much more one-dimensional.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 05-16-2010 at 10:56 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 10:55 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,092 times
Los Angeles currently has the most ambitious rail plans in the entire country. The mayor is fast tracking many of these plans to be finished by 2018. Check out this thread, pretty incredible.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...nsion-our.html

Many parts of LA are walkable and dense all the way from Pasadena to Santa Monica; by 2018 Los Angeles will have a better transportation network than the Bay Area.

My point is Los Angeles certainly does not epitomize everything that is wrong with America. Now if you want to argue about San Diego's insular, backward local government, that is a different story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego