Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:05 AM

49 posts, read 176,532 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your honest opinions. It seems as though I should probably consider other places for the time being. It just didn't make sense to me that with a city with over a million, that a lot of people wouldn't be around the same income and getting by just fine. One thing I know for sure is I don't want to take on a lot of debt. Either way, my wife and I are looking for something new. Is there any mid-large city in California that is affordable with a salary of $60,000? We want to be somewhere warm year-round without it getting terribly hot in the summer like it does in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:14 AM

70 posts, read 69,127 times
Living in SD, like living anywhere else is a matter of adjusting your priorities to achieve your goals. I came here in '76 with a duffel bag of clothes and $2000(One friend, No family, right out of the Army, 20 years old, never been here before).

I put myself through school thanks to the relatively inexpensive college tuition(As I raised 2 kids, supported them, myself, and my stay at home wife). Bought my first home for $75,000 in '88 with a mortgage payment of $700 when my bi-weekly salary was $700. Lived in that home for 8 years while my salary went up and we could save up to buy our second home. And now 34 years after coming here own both those homes outright.

Housing prices have always been expensive in SD relative to wages. If you look above you'll see in '88 I was paying half my Electrical Engineering salary in mortgage. Its not been any easier for us who've been here and bought when mortgages were lower. Our pay was lower.

Where ever you live, if you are willing to make the sacrifices needed to achieve your goals you should be able to achieve them. What I see is people not willing to do this and then whine about their situation. They buy new cars, have cell phones, live in rentals beyond their means, etc. etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:51 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwEshelman View Post
Hey all,
Looking for a little bit of advice. First, I have never been to California but after living my whole life in Ohio I am considering moving my family to San Diego. I have a wife who is finishing up her nursing degree in a year, so that would be a good time to move. Looking over the facts of city-data, I can't help but notice the mean income compared to the mean average house price. Doing a little research, it seems like as a nurse my wife won't make that much more there than she does in Ohio. So, how do you all manage? I am currently in school myself after serving in the Army and still have two more years until I graduate. My schooling is not an issue, because my degree is offered online. We have a two year old daughter and one on the way. Do more families rent? How do residents get by with the difference in income and cost of living? I don't want anything fancy, but would love to own my own house in about 5years. Will we be able to live comfortably with only one salary of $60,000? Any info is appreciated
I have lots of family and friends in Ohio. The main complaint I hear from them especially the ones with younger families- there is nothing for the kids and they are getting tired of the snow (not big problems if you ask me).

Many of them visit me here- half of them usually say "i love it here" the other half say "I could never live here" Most of them have modest careers, homes, new cars and an actual savings account that they don't touch but complain about the weather and lack of things to do mostly for their kids.

The truth about San Diego- the weather is really nice, great outdoor activities and things to keep your kids busy (parks, beach, legoland, zoo, disney just north)...but your problems (the ones pointed out by all the other posters) in SD are bigger than what you see in Ohio (if your job isn't tied to automotive industry) and other areas. The one problem area in SD that I'll add to list is education- if you plan on moving here take a peak at some of the schools.

I shake my head when grown-ups base their decision to move on weather. Its actually nice to see someone thinking with their head.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
yes, you are asking the right questions. As far as $60K goes, IMO that's barely enough for a single person out here, a family of 4 would be tough. A very high percentage of people in SD County rent, I think I read somewhere that it is around 50%, which you would never see in the midwest/midatlantic states, where most everyone owns a home (unless they are right out of school). Also, plan that 50% of your salary will go for housing.

Like others have said, alot of folks here are still in deep debt here, one job loss away from financial ruin.

If you've never been to California, I would suggest a serious visit, you may love it or you may hate it. However, it is a beautiful day here...about 75 degrees and sunny We're told we get paid in "sunshine dollars" but tell that to my landlord!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
But it seems like many people I know or have met, work for companies that are based elsewhere and allow them to live anywhere in the country. Wouldn't their salaries be the same whether they lived in Dallas or Chicago?
It's usually a 2-tier system, i.e. it's not graduated from city to city. You make the same in LA, Dallas, Chicago, NY, etc. That's tier one. You make 30% less in the smaller major metros. That's where San Diego lies. Given that there are less than 5 fortune 500 corporations in San Diego, very few people are working for a non-local company here.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:36 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,371 times
I grew up in Point Loma. I was one of the people that left CA in the 90's. The friends and relatives I have that are still live there either bought their homes many years ago or inheritied them from family members. Many have duel incomes with advanced degrees. They will never leave because they are doing very well thanks to the help of their parents.
There are more affordible areas to live in SD but 60k will not go very far. You will have to rent. Then if you have children I would be concerned about the quality of the education they will receive plus you may have to live where there is a higher crime rate.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:19 PM

Maybe consider Texas, Denver (it has winter but not as severe as Ohio) or Phoenix?

Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
There are a significant number of working people in SD and Socal who are broke just like the cities and the state here. I know of single people in their 40s living with roommates. Within our extended family we have married relatives who have to ask their parents to pay their property taxes and other incidentals because their budgets are stretched to the breaking point.

One married niece moved to Texas so she could buy a home. She could never have afforded one here even though she and her husband have full time jobs. The Golden Age of California was over a long time ago.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Sad to say, San Diego is becoming the land of the very rich and the very poor...and I think it will get worse. Lots of us middle class folks are re-thinking why we are living here.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:10 PM

70 posts, read 69,127 times
Default Omg

I have twin sons. Both make a bit under 60K. Both have kids. One just bought a house and one is looking now. I think the posters in this thread are trying to scare anyone from coming here.

Yes if you have a car payment and lots of debt you'll have trouble making it anywhere. Lets look at the numbers.

60K is 5k a month, say 3.5K take home.

Bills are:

$1800 = Rent

$180 = Utilities,phone,internet(no cableTV).

$600 = Food

I've been tracking what it costs to live here for over 20 years. That still leaves almost $1000 a month for anything else. Get real people. $60K is plenty of income to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego