Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times

Advertisements

What about accommodations? Where to spend the night? I am guessing there can't be too many choices based on the size of the area, but would be helpful to receive some input on pros and cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:50 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
The San Elijo nature center has a few short trails right near it. They're flat and mostly shady and good for kids as young as 2 or 3. The trail off Rios on the solana beach (south) side of the lagoon is great, but it's more rugged and not as good for younger kids.
Yeah, but I can see a 4-year-old digging it, if he/she is the kind of kid that's used to doing outdoorsy stuff- My parents would take me up Cowles Mountain a couple of times a week when I was that age, as well as longer hikes (sometimes up to 5 miles. They started dragging me along on 10-mile hikes by the time I was 7 or 8) in Laguna/Cuyamaca- although I know that's not the case with everyone

Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
One could imagine a lot of 4-year whining on Cowles Mtn.

Days Inn in Encinitas Blvd is inexpensive and just acceptable. Nothing special here. This time of year, a rental cottage in Cardiff may be a good deal.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:19 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
One could imagine a lot of 4-year whining on Cowles Mtn.
Did I mention it was uphill both ways?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:32 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
Definitely VJs donuts, that place has been around forever. I remember sneaking out of high school class to go down there.

Also, you gotta go to Las Olas, it's a pretty low key mexican restaurant that directly across the street from the ocean (Literally 100 ft.)

Check out La Paloma in Encinitas, they used to do the Rocky Horror Picture show there.

You'll have a better walking around experience if you go up to Old Encinitas on the 101.

Edit: It's not that VJs is all that special, but VJs is a Cardiff landmark. They've been doing business in that ragged old shop longer than probably most of us have lived in SD.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Definitely VJs donuts, that place has been around forever.
Is the name VJ or VG?

Is this their website? --> VG Donuts&Bakery

Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Is the name VJ or VG?

Is this their website? --> VG Donuts&Bakery
Yes, it's VG Donuts. I think that was just an inadvertent typo by DJxpress.
VG's is a local landmark, not because their donuts are necessarily the best, it's just the history, vibe and feel of the place. When I was a newspaper reporter covering the area, they called it the Cardiff White House because all the local movers and shakers held court every morning on the patio. You'd get the real quotes there!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:10 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
Yes VGs. I am studying anatomy right now and just went over TMJ while I was typing. Crossed up the letters.

There is/was also a pretty cool pool hall across the street. I don't know if that's still there?

Edit: I guess it is still there, thought it was gone!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Yes VGs. I am studying anatomy right now and just went over TMJ while I was typing. Crossed up the letters.

There is/was also a pretty cool pool hall across the street. I don't know if that's still there?
do you mean the Shanty? If so, yes, it's still there around the corner. The Cardiff Office is right next door and the legendary Kraken is down the hill on the coast highway.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:22 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The plan is to take the kids to Cardiff for a weekend getaway. Need some feedback from locals on what is worth seeing/visiting, restaurants, which hotels are the best value, is there a walkable downtown type area, etc. We also have a motorhome so any feedback about the campsite (San Elijo) is also welcome.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any feedback!
There's a number of restaurants right at the ocean next to the lagoon. Ki's, Beach House, etc..., you can see them on Google Maps. Here are links to two of them. South of the lagoon is Solana Beach and the Cedros Design District.

Ki's Restaurant (http://www.kisrestaurant.com/restaurant.html - broken link)
The Beach House

http://www.cedrosdesigndistrict.net/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego