Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 08:50 PM

169 posts, read 698,478 times

Advertisements

My husband may take a job there and I would like to know the nice/safe areas with great schools. We hope not to pay more than $800K for 4bedrooms house. Any recommendation? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 01:06 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
My husband may take a job there and I would like to know the nice/safe areas with great schools. We hope not to pay more than $800K for 4bedrooms house. Any recommendation? Thank you.
Carmel Valley,for sure. People move to the area for the schools. It's a couple of exits up from UCSD;will take you around 15 min. or so. Traffic is not a huge issue,for the most part. CV is just off the 56 or Del Mar Heights Rd.

I would also look at parts of UTC and Clairemont [esp. the part next to Bay Park,just off the 5/Clairemont Drive,by Tecolote Canyon;you will definitely find something in your price range,and probably for 600k,there. CV will be 800k on the low end. Clairemont schools,however,are not as reputed;they are hit or miss. But in SD,you can open-enroll,and can enroll your kids in La Jolla-ie,the elementary school that serves UCSD area-it's on a beautiful campus right across from the YMCA-I am forgetting the name,off hand. It's just a couple of miles if that from UCSD,though.]
Good luck.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Carmel Valley,for sure. People move to the area for the schools. It's a couple of exits up from UCSD;will take you around 15 min. or so. Traffic is not a huge issue,for the most part. CV is just off the 56 or Del Mar Heights Rd.

I would also look at parts of UTC and Clairemont [esp. the part next to Bay Park,just off the 5/Clairemont Drive,by Tecolote Canyon;you will definitely find something in your price range,and probably for 600k,there. CV will be 800k on the low end. Clairemont schools,however,are not as reputed;they are hit or miss. But in SD,you can open-enroll,and can enroll your kids in La Jolla-ie,the elementary school that serves UCSD area-it's on a beautiful campus right across from the YMCA-I am forgetting the name,off hand. It's just a couple of miles if that from UCSD,though.]
Good luck.
Are there any good private schools you can recommend in the area? How far and commute(normal/rush) is Poway from/to UCSD? Thanks.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:38 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
Are there any good private schools you can recommend in the area? How far and commute(normal/rush) is Poway from/to UCSD? Thanks.
Poway to UCSD would be a bit of a drive-if you took the 56 west to 5 north,map it out on google,but i'd say 30 min. is a good estimate. The exit to UCSD may have some traffic-depends if you are going during normal rush hour times.

Carmel Valley is much closer-half the distance. And public schools in carmel valley are quite highly regarded. Torrey Pines HS is reknowned,actually. The district has a demographic that includes asian-india,korea,japan,china-who work at scripps or ucsd or biotech/it fields-and move into this district for the schools. Education is taken very seriously by the CV community.

I have a friend who teaches in poway and her children go to school in CV where she lives. She said the curriculum is more demanding in CV. The bar is set higher,but in a good way. I will also say: CV still has an innocent quality among the kids-who regularly walk to school-and the kids 'seem their age',which is rare now adays,esp. in a city. Older kids play outside alone or scoot/ride bikes to parks.

Poway is also recommended for it's schools-I just don't know very much about the area,in terms of specifics,though. Carmel Valley is a small enclave of SD [san diego address],while poway is an actually small city,so the population is larger and more school locations/diverse environments than CV.

As for private schools,I am not familiar with Poway-but there are the usual montessori and christian based,as well as jewish schools. Same with carmel valley. La Jolla provides more options for private;just google them. ie,Bishop's,la jolla country day,the children's school,all come to mind. There are others. Del Mar also has a couple of private schools,just next to CV. Scripp's Ranch is next to Poway,and you might check private schools there, as well.

Personally,I would choose CV over poway. I have children and prefer CV for a number of reasons,including atmosphere,proxmity to beaches and other areas of SD [CV gives you access to 56/5 /805 freeways,poway gives you the 15 which is nearly always with traffic issues and no other choice to get in and out.],proximity to beaches-3 miles from CV,no freeways necessary,access to health stores and all other amenities,movies,etc. w/in walking distance of much of carmel valley,not as hot in the summer in CV....

Sorry,wish i had more private school info.
Check greatschools dot net and search the areas for reviews and scores,etc.
btw,if you want to look up public schools,search poway unified school district. for CV,search solana beach school district for elementary and middle school,and for high school,it's in the 'san dieguito school district'-although they are all w/in walking distance of each other in CV. the district boundaries in this area are interesting-carmel valley is part of solana beach,while much of torrey highlands area is in del mar school district. kinda confusing,but these communities are newer-in the last 30 years or less...so they added on.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-02-2010 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
University City or Carmel Valley.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 PM

9 posts, read 14,982 times
I also concur with the University City.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:22 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,254 times
1. university city has pretty decent schools and is way more affordable
2. Carmel valley- very expensive. the most expensive place to live in San Diego county is within the boundaries of Torrey Pines, La Costa Canyon,La Jolla, and Westview high schools. [correct me if im forgetting any...] CV has a lot of new developments however.
- i would suggest westview over TP, but thats just a personal preference.
3. la jolla- like i said..expensive, but great schools.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Depends on what you want.

Carmel Valley will have highly rated schools, newer housing, but heavy congestion, overbuilt commercial districts, and high-density housing. It is also very expensive w/ single family homes ranging on postage stamp lots in the 700-800k+ range

University City will have excellent elementaries but lower-rated secondary schools (still pretty good), with less congestion, older homes, and more reasonable housing costs, with single-family homes on larger lots in the 600k+ range.

Poway, you will get the best bang for the buck on the home, best schools, but the farthest away from amenities and activities, it has more of a bedroom community feel than either of the other options.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 03-03-2010 at 10:30 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post

Good luck.
May I know the zip codes of Carmel Valley? thank you.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
These are the Elementary schools in Carmel Valley:
  • Ashley Falls (Del Mar Union School District)
  • Carmel Creek (Solana Beach School District)
  • Carmel Del Mar (Del Mar Union School District)
  • Del Mar Pines (private, nonsectarian)
  • Ocean Air (Del Mar Union School District)
  • Sage Canyon (Del Mar Union School District)
  • Solana Highlands (Solana Beach School District)
  • Solana Pacific (Solana Beach School District)
  • Sycamore Ridge (Del Mar Union School District); actually in Pacific Highlands Ranch
  • Torrey Hills (Del Mar Union School District); actually in Torrey Hills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego