Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,468,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
The whole thing was funny and some people just have massive chips on their shoulders and, unfortunately the professional race baiters and reverse racists have now jumped into this act. Frats throw red neck and white trash parties, toga parties, and all sorts of themed parties and yet the race baiters and professional racists are only jumping on this one largely because they need to create drama out of nothing. Screw them and their politics of hate and let the kids keep having parties.
Classic example of the bigotry and "it doesn't affect me so I don't give a sh-t" attitude that exists in SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:24 PM

457 posts, read 1,342,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Lighten up?A noose was hung.
I had no problems with any of the events that happened at UCSD until that happened.
You shouldn't be "lightening up" when something that symbolic is done
And it seems like the Administration up there just doesn't know how or doesn't care or how to handle these events

I had lots of respect for UCSD but after all this,I'm starting to look at USD as a "better" school.(I'm a big SDSU fan,and I hate USD but I hate racist people more)
suicide was the first thing i thought of when i heard about that, not that some student apparently has a problem with black students.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:43 AM

18,965 posts, read 32,484,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The people who think that Blacks should "lighten up" regarding these types of incidents would never say the same thing if someone were tormenting their mother, sister, brother, children, etc.

If a bunch of college kids (frat boys or whatever) had used a threatening symbol that meant that they were going to rape your daughter on campous, you would absolutely have a problem. The same type of hostility is being directed towards the small Black population on the UCSD campus with the noose and the Compton Cookout party. These symbols/actions are direct threats with a specific purpose to intimidate.

I experienced my own bouts with racism in college, none of which rose to this level but it was damaging all the same. When you realize that these same "kids" will one day be able to decide who to hire, whether or not a business gets a loan, setting public policy, etc. - you realize that these sentiments are not "isolated" incidents but will color how they treat Black people in their professional lives.
"A bunch of college" kids? It was one dumb female and two friends who did that. I don't get why a whole college gets stereotypes b/c of the actions of a few people.

So the Compton Cookout was a " direct threats with a specific purpose to intimidate"?? It was a tasteless party that got media attention, nothing more. The party itself was not that big of a deal at all.

These recent activists think they're speaking for all minorities or blacks, they aren't. Many minorities were not offended by the party itself at all and don't agree with the reaction of these protesters. And some of the outrageous "demands" they made probably hurt their cause and lead to somewhat of a backlash. It's like they want the college and whole world to bend over backwards for them b/c of what one frat and a few idiots did. And in the process they label people and institutions as racist that are anything but that.
Quote:
Classic example of the bigotry and "it doesn't affect me so I don't give a sh-t" attitude that exists in SD.
Actually this attitude exists everywhere, go read the comments on the story posted on SFGate.com, the SF Chronicles website, same as the U-T. People all over the place don't feel this was some racist party meant to intimidate black people, especially considering it was a black person that threw it. And they aren't going to let themselves be labeled as racists either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego