Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,699 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking to buy a home for the last few months and have come across a pretty good opportunity in North Park. Specifically, we've found a nice house in the Morley Field area for about $700k. I've walked through the neighborhood many times at day and night and it seems fairly safe. Would anyone disagree with this?
Something else I've noticed is that there are a fair amount of older (>50yrs old) people living around the immediate area. Is there something about this neighborhood that tends to attract and older population, or are younger couples (like my wife and I) not attracted to this area? Or, am I totally wrong about this observation?
We want to live somewhere central that has character, is safe, and has a younger vibrant neighborhood feel. We do not want to live in a condo downtown, nor in PB or OB however. Does anybody have any other neighborhood suggestions that would fit these criteria? Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 02:52 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRoots View Post
My wife and I have been looking to buy a home for the last few months and have come across a pretty good opportunity in North Park. Specifically, we've found a nice house in the Morley Field area for about $700k. I've walked through the neighborhood many times at day and night and it seems fairly safe. Would anyone disagree with this?
Something else I've noticed is that there are a fair amount of older (>50yrs old) people living around the immediate area. Is there something about this neighborhood that tends to attract and older population, or are younger couples (like my wife and I) not attracted to this area? Or, am I totally wrong about this observation?
We want to live somewhere central that has character, is safe, and has a younger vibrant neighborhood feel. We do not want to live in a condo downtown, nor in PB or OB however. Does anybody have any other neighborhood suggestions that would fit these criteria? Thanks,
I rented on 29th and Dwight for a while which is at the edge of the Morley Field area. Hands down it is among my favorite neighborhoods in San Diego. The houses on Pershing are some of the finest examples of Craftsman architecture in San Diego (I believe one or two of the houses are Stickleys). Try to buy in the interior of the neighborhood as much as possible, it is quieter the farther away you are from El Cajon Blvd or 30th street.

As for safety, I think the neighborhood is safe, there are some crime issues on El Cajon Boulevard at night but they rarely are problems in the interior of the neighborhood. We had some noise issues and some "wandering zombies" due to our closeness to 30th, but no serious problems.

Similar neighborhoods would be South Park / Burlingame (east of 30th, south of Kalmia / Switzer Canyon) or Normal Heights, north of Adams.

The older people you are noticing are the longtime established residents of the neighborhood.... that is a huge plus and indicates stability. Most young couples can't afford 700k houses (which is why I had to buy in the College Area) but there are lots of younger gay couples in the neighborhood. Young couples are buying houses in Temecula and condos in Rancho Bernardo where everything is brand new, schools are top notch, and blandness abounds

Old 06-01-2007, 03:30 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
In addition to the one's Sassberto mentioned, other nice urban neighborhoods that are smidge further away from Balboa Park that will have character, architecture, walkability, and yet still maintain a residential quality are Mission Hills, University Heights, and Kensington.

Mission Hills will be even more expensive than Morley Field, so that's probably off your list.

University Heights is nice once you get onto Maryland Avenue (north of Washington) and onto the streets and cul de sacs to the west. It's safe in the areas closer to Park Blvd and Washington, but that's an area of apartments. There also are intersting areas north of Adams on either side of the Trolley Barn Park.

Kensington, north of Adams and at the terminus of Adams is Great! South of Adams and north of Monroe is good. Between Monroe and ECB, with 700k don't bother. You can do better.

Also there's a nice area north of Adams and west of 30th street near Our Lady of Peace Academy.

And of course check out the areas Sassberto mentioned too.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 11,699 times
Default Buying in North Park

Thank you both for the informative replies! One more question. If pressed, would you rather live in Normal Heights, north of Adams (Mountain View Drive) or North Park (Morley Field) and why? My wife and I are in a little disagreement about this. Thanks again.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:23 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
I would choose Normal Heights at MVD, but that's only because I've lived in Normal Heights in the past so I would know exactly what I was getting. I've never actually lived in North Park, so I would have this big unknown hanging over my decision. Unfortunately, this isn't a very helpful answer for you.

The only other thing I might add is that with Normal Heights north of Adams I would have security in depth. There would be more blocks between me and the areas I didn't like. I'm not sure how many blocks would separate me from unpleasantness from your Morley field location.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:00 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRoots View Post
Thank you both for the informative replies! One more question. If pressed, would you rather live in Normal Heights, north of Adams (Mountain View Drive) or North Park (Morley Field) and why? My wife and I are in a little disagreement about this. Thanks again.
I wouldn't live on Mountain View Drive directly for any reason. No double-yellow lines allowed. But between the two it would really depend on the house and the block. Morley field was an enclave for the wealthy early on - NH has always been more middle-class. There are more grand and large houses (spanish and craftsman) in Morley Field than in NH. Morley Field is generally better kept than NH.

I don't perceive a big safety gap inbetween the two, and in general I see North Park gentrifying at a faster rate than NH. 30th and University is only marginally more sketchy than 35th and Adams at 2AM.

Specific blocks in NH: at least north of collier, there are thick apartment blocks 1-2 blocks north of adams.

In Morley Field some of the quietest blocks are actually south of Upas to Switzer canyon, there are some mansions back there and some dead-end streets.

Either neighborhood is a good choice. I would also second Kettle and check out Mission Hills and Kensington, but I think entry into those areas is more like 900 and 800k respectively. Talmadge has some historic homes too but I am not sure I would pay 700k for a house in that neighborhood.

Definitely check out South Park and the neighborhoods south of Switzer Canyon and east of 30th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego