Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:36 PM

52 posts, read 230,850 times

Advertisements

Ive been on unemployment for just a few months so Im not in a desperation mode yet but I was looking to see if anyone had any suggestions (whether it be part time,etc...). Im a single guy with little expenses...I saw someone posting about security jobs in another thread...Id be interested in hearing other locals/transplants,etc... experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I work event security part-time, but the company that I work for isn't hiring right now. They may start taking applications after April 1, that's when event season starts. But in order to work security, you have to have a guard card. That will run you about $200-$300.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 PM

52 posts, read 230,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I work event security part-time, but the company that I work for isn't hiring right now. They may start taking applications after April 1, that's when event season starts. But in order to work security, you have to have a guard card. That will run you about $200-$300.
Thanks for the info...I might send you a private message in a few months any more info for me.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:39 PM

88 posts, read 206,400 times
The job market out here is very sparse. Not many places are hiring.

Even temp agencies are saying there are more applicants (temps) than positions available.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:53 PM

52 posts, read 85,069 times
I'm scheduled to move to San Diego in august. I'm not going to move out there and not be able to find a job, am I? That's what I'm really worried about right now.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:58 PM

88 posts, read 206,400 times
I would try to look for a job out here before actually moving out here. But would you be able to survive on savings if you were to move out here BEFORE landing a job?

When I first moved out here a few years back, I did it on a whim. I didn't have a job lined up but had family and some friends out here. I was able to find a job within a month of moving, but that was a few years back when jobs were A LOT more plentiful and the economy wasn't in the crapper like it is now.

I was recently laid off and am having a hard time finding a full-time job, even as a temp.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Software development and IT jobs are almost always in demand and the field has high turnover so there are always openings.

If you are talking about non-college-degreed basic labor jobs, retail, or general office administration, I think you will have an incredibly difficult time finding something right now.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:37 PM

70 posts, read 178,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Software development and IT jobs are almost always in demand and the field has high turnover so there are always openings.

If you are talking about non-college-degreed basic labor jobs, retail, or general office administration, I think you will have an incredibly difficult time finding something right now.

How about the entry level IT jobs?..... I see a ton of software engineer jobs listed on indeed.com but they all seem to be for experienced engineers usually with at lest 4 years experience

Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker32 View Post
Ive been on unemployment for just a few months so Im not in a desperation mode yet but I was looking to see if anyone had any suggestions (whether it be part time,etc...). Im a single guy with little expenses...I saw someone posting about security jobs in another thread...Id be interested in hearing other locals/transplants,etc... experiences.
I've been on unemployment for a little over a year.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:51 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexSteel View Post
How about the entry level IT jobs?..... I see a ton of software engineer jobs listed on indeed.com but they all seem to be for experienced engineers usually with at lest 4 years experience
Extremely difficult to get into IT at the entry level, is and always has been that way. IT as a profession, demands experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: