Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:33 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times

Advertisements

CA hasn't executed anyone in a very long time and they never will again, even though we have the DP. The only real benefit to an offer is that the criminals don't have to live out the rest of their lives on death row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:39 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
CA hasn't executed anyone in a very long time and they never will again, even though we have the DP. The only real benefit to an offer is that the criminals don't have to live out the rest of their lives on death row.
Since when is four years "a very long time"?? And why do you think the state will never execute a condemned inmate again? Since 1992 when the DP was reinstated in Cal, there's been just about 1 every year. The break in executions since January 2006 was due to Constitutional challenges of execution procedures nationwide, not just in Cal. I think it's fair to say executions will resume, probably this year. There's not basis for saying they never will.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Wasn't it in tall reeds where they had to cut them away before they found the grave?
You're right. I got confused......

Old 03-10-2010, 11:38 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Just my opinion. Even if the DP gets reinstated there are about 680 death row inmates in CA right now, so even at one a year, that's alot of catching up to do. Anyone who gets the DP knows they are going to sit on death row for a very long time so my point was that using that as a bargaining tool really means that they will not have to live under death row conditions.

Gardner probably has a better chance of getting killed inside the prison in the general population than sitting on death row.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Gardner probably has a better chance of getting killed inside the prison in the general population than sitting on death row.

I agree, and they'll probably put him in solitary confinement to keep him away from the other inmates.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:21 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Just my opinion. Even if the DP gets reinstated there are about 680 death row inmates in CA right now, so even at one a year, that's alot of catching up to do. Anyone who gets the DP knows they are going to sit on death row for a very long time so my point was that using that as a bargaining tool really means that they will not have to live under death row conditions.

He has a better chance of dying of natural causes than from execution, I'll give you that. Death Row inmates have very little (most often none) direct contact with the general population or even other Death Row inmates.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:29 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
The Death Penalty is deeply flawed. "The Night Stalker" is still alive and kicking some 20 yrs after he was convicted. It costs far more to keep someone on Death Row than it does in the general prison population. I know its important to make sure the right person is going to be executed, but its gotten ridiculous. There needs to be a limit both in number of appeals and years -- otherwise just scrap it all together.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:03 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
I suspect "The Freak" cut a deal. Show us where Amber is and we'll forget about frying you.
The death penalty in ca is a joke. Executions have been suspended. Only in ca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego