U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 13,426 times

Advertisements

Hello!

So we are a couple in our late 20's looking to move in June. We are having trouble looking for apartments because it is too soon, we are looking at buildings though. My boyfriend has decent credit, but mine is not the greatest is that a huge deal in San Diego?

We both have degrees and experience, how is the job market? I am looking into telecommunications, are there a lot of telecom companies? Are there a lot of opportunities for sales jobs?

I have a cat? Has anyone ever shipped their pet via air cargo? We plan on driving, I was going to have someone send my pet when we find an apartment, anyone done this?

Also, we have 1 car, I was planning on trying to get one if needed later, how is the public transportation? If I need to rely heavily on this is there an area that is best to look at apartments in? We want to live close to downtown and the beach. Our budget is under $1200 per month.

Can anyone give us any tips on areas to look for reasonable apartments, flying a pet, job market and transportation?? Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:36 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,616,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeluca View Post
I have a cat? Has anyone ever shipped their pet via air cargo? We plan on driving, I was going to have someone send my pet when we find an apartment, anyone done this?
Sending any pet by cargo can be very stressful. Many people do it successfully, but there are also many documented tragic stories of pets who die, get loose when being transferred etc. By having a friend or stranger send your pet in cargo you are relying on airline employees to care for your pet the entire way. I would not do this, especially if I were not traveling with the cat myself. If you travel with the cat you could at least ask the employees to check on it from time to time. Has your cat ever traveled this way?

Traveling by car is not ideal, but I have done it from Chicago to San Francisco, California. I have also flow with three cats in cabin from California to North Carolina. It wasn't a perfect experience but much less stressful, I think, than sending them in cargo.

If you are traveling in June, you have to consider whether the cargo hold will be cooled or not. If you drive, you absolutely must not leave your cat alone in the car for any amount of time. This is awkward but with two of you it's not too difficult to deal with.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 AM

14,707 posts, read 29,311,516 times
Search for threads entitled "moving/move to San Diego. They shouold answer all if not most of your questions. The job market here isn't good, and if you don't have a job lined up, or a lot of savings, stay where you are. We answer there questions every day.

You won't have a problem renting a place right away, nor will you have a problem with you cat? How much you have saved for a cushion?

If you only have one car, then you'll want to stay within the city on the bus line. Those neighborhoods are North Park, South Park, Normal Heights, University Heights, and Mission Hills.

And I WOULD NOT ship your cat. I drove cross country with three, and had no problems. Your cat will be fine as long as he/she has adequate water. If you want more opinions on this, post the question on the CATS forum.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:19 AM

We will have around 7k saved for the move.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:49 AM

455 posts, read 1,050,819 times
When I moved from NC to CA, I used PetAirways to fly my pets out and completely recomend them.

They remove all seats from the plane and replace them with modular crates/pins for various sized dogs and cats (separated). There is always an attendant during the flight and pet breaks when travelling long distances.

Only problem is that they only fly to/from specific cities.

They have a gret reputation and I read about them on a magazine, then saw them on a morning or news show.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 AM

14,707 posts, read 29,311,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeluca View Post
We will have around 7k saved for the move.
That will be enough for a little while. After you get a place to live, and get your car registered in CA, that's going to take a bite out of it, and a monthly bus pass is $72.00. That covers the bus and trolley.

Just be prepared for the fact that it could take you quite a while to get a job. You're going to have a lot of competition from people that already live here that are still job searching.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 AM

3,323 posts, read 2,268,859 times
[quote=adeluca;13203840]Hello!

So we are a couple in our late 20's looking to move in June. We are having trouble looking for apartments because it is too soon, we are looking at buildings though. My boyfriend has decent credit, but mine is not the greatest is that a huge deal in San Diego?

We both have degrees and experience, how is the job market? I am looking into telecommunications, are there a lot of telecom companies? Are there a lot of opportunities for sales jobs?

quote]

Credit will matter of course- an easy way around that is putting one name on the lease or getting a co-signor.

If you are looking for telecommunications jobs- Denver may be a better option- they have two giants there with Qwest and Level 3 Communications.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 PM

7,205 posts, read 5,018,918 times
Job market is not good here across the board but not impossible. San Diego has tons of apartments and many accept pets but charge extra. As far as your cat there is a thread in the Moving forum about people relocating cross country driving successfully with cats in tow.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 PM

1,794 posts, read 3,625,981 times
One car, $1200 a month for rent, no jobs lined up, not familiar with the area. This sounds like a recipe for disaster. 35% of San Diego's population 25 years old or higher has a Bachelor's Degree (//www.city-data.com/city/San-Diego-California.html), myself included. I am going back to school because it is so hard to find a decent job in San Diego right now.

You want to live by the beach or downtown, but are only willing to spend $1200 a month max? Looks like Imperial Beach may be the closest thing you'll find for $1200.

As many other threads have stated, your best bet is to have a job secured before you actually move out here.

As far as pubic transportation, good luck. San Diego is a sprawling, suburban environment. It's not like SF or NYC. You need a car to get around here. If anything, you'll probably need a car to get to the closest bus stop or trolley station.

You guys are young. You really need to evaluate your decision. San Diego is an extremely tough place to start out as an adult entering the workforce.

Edit: If you have family/relatives here that you can fall back on, then it may be a lot easier to transition here.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:22 AM

Thanks everyone, I will check into the cat situation. The thing I am starting to get the most worried about is finding a job, I wasn't before but I am now. I figured that the field experience I have in telcommunications should help me narrow down my field, not many people are in this field. I do have serving/bartending experience, so if it comes down to it I can find a job doing something! Of course I would prefer to utilize my college degree but hey- I'm gonna have to do something to start. Neither of us are right out of college, I have been working in the field for 3 years and my boyfriend has been for 8 years.
[As far as pubic transportation, good luck. San Diego is a sprawling, suburban environment. It's not like SF or NYC. You need a car to get around here. If anything, you'll probably need a car to get to the closest bus stop or trolley station. ]

Is the public transportation situation that bad? What if we look into living downtown? I have found a few places on craigslist close or in downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego