Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:00 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li'l_Bit View Post
Might I suggest a couple of years at your local community college before attempting the university level?
That could make it easier to get in as well as really show him/her what college is really all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:38 PM

98 posts, read 122,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That could make it easier to get in as well as really show him/her what college is really all about.
I completely agree! Plus, the tuition is much less and a good counselor would make sure that courses would transfer. IMO, freshmen as a whole (while I'm sure there are a few who can handle the responsibility) are not equipped to have so much freedom and still manage a full class schedule. A transitional phase would be the way to go.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I completely agree! Plus, the tuition is much less and a good counselor would make sure that courses would transfer. IMO, freshmen as a whole (while I'm sure there are a few who can handle the responsibility) are not equipped to have so much freedom and still manage a full class schedule. A transitional phase would be the way to go.
What I would do if I were this person is to move out to San Diego and get into one of the JC's out here like Mesa. It sounds like they are used to working hard to make ends meet so a move to SD might work for them. If a certain GPA is maintained at the JC out here, most are pretty much guaranteed a transfer should they want it into SDSU.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
What I would do if I were this person is to move out to San Diego and get into one of the JC's out here like Mesa. It sounds like they are used to working hard to make ends meet so a move to SD might work for them. If a certain GPA is maintained at the JC out here, most are pretty much guaranteed a transfer should they want it into SDSU.
I would have to disagree on the "pretty much guaranteed a transfer" notion. As someone who would be going in as a transfer student with a 3.6 GPA, I was told that there were no guarantees of being accepted because of caps and budget cuts. I'm still waiting to hear one way or the other and it's maddening!*lol* Either way, I would never begrudge anyone an education, especially if he/she is serious and the drive to do well is there. However, when the initial questions regarding a university involve beach access and party atmosphere, it doesn't leave one with the impression that the person is serious.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I would have to disagree on the "pretty much guaranteed a transfer" notion. As someone who would be going in as a transfer student with a 3.6 GPA, I was told that there were no guarantees of being accepted because of caps and budget cuts. I'm still waiting to hear one way or the other and it's maddening!*lol* Either way, I would never begrudge anyone an education, especially if he/she is serious and the drive to do well is there. However, when the initial questions regarding a university involve beach access and party atmosphere, it doesn't leave one with the impression that the person is serious.
Boy how things have changed since my college years lol.

I agree that I got a wrong impression as well but we can only guess that this OP knows themselves better than we know them and give them the best advice that we can.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I, too, am an SDSU alum (Journalism 1994) so I speak from experience on how much fun one can have there
Husband graduated in Journalism as well, only 30 plus years before you. I have no problem with the reputation SDSU has and am excited about their playing in the March Madness, my concern is any kid that would ask about funnest before asking anything else..

Nita

Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A touch of tropical sky View Post
Lmao! I guess i gave people the wrong impression I said I want to go to a fun school, that doesn’t automatically reveal my motivation towards wanting to attend university at all. I grew up with nothing, were better now but I’ve work very very hard with a very high average in school and I work very hard at multiple jobs. I want to be a dentist later on, and that requires me to keep up my work ethics in university to acquire admition into dental school .Throughout My whole high school career my grades have been exceptional and my essays have gone straight to the principle because it was "above and beyond,and impressive" i've worked very hard in fear of failure, scared to end up like my parents stressed out and without a good job .I've been to two party's my whole life and I’m 19. I haven’t done any of the fun teenager stuff , and I want to incorporate that into my life when I go to university so I don’t go crazy, lol. Because if anything, I’ve learned that its important to have a balance. That’s why I wanted to pick a university that I can have a lot of wild fun too, when I’m not sitting my ass down to study for hours straight . And lil bit i can tell you right now I’ve been through more than a lot of 30 year olds have in a lifetime at 19 years old, my life has been very very very hard and dark in so many scary ways that I would wish on no one. But hey, i've gotten through everything and i’m alive( J which is truly a miracle I didn’t think I’d live to 18) and I’m stronger because of my experiences. I just want to work as hard as I can work and party as hard I can party(without compromising the grades I've worked ridiculously hard for lol)
[SIZE=3]I’m just saying its hard to judge a person based on a single paragraph they’ve written.[/SIZE]
ok, now that you have made us feel sorry for you can I ask, if you have so little money who is paying for your out of state tuition? Do you have any clue what that will be alone and how hard it is to get a job after you get to San Diego? Now, add to that, any kid who is planning on entering dental school is going to have very little time for any type of partying, but less finding a school that has a reputation as being a party school.

I find it very hard to believe someone who is heading for dental school would not have already discussed the various schools and the program with a councilor. I also find a student with a great GPA like you say you have would use the word "funnest" ? For some reason I am having a little trouble believing your story..What do your parents have to way about your idea to move to Ca for school? Have you thought about community college for the first 2 years? At 19, I would guess you are out of high school already..

Old 03-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Boy how things have changed since my college years lol.

I agree that I got a wrong impression as well but we can only guess that this OP knows themselves better than we know them and give them the best advice that we can.
This is true! In any event, I hope the OP makes an intelligent decision, rather than an emotional one.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:15 PM

126 posts, read 161,422 times
I visited some friends at SDSU a while ago. I must say they are serious with their parties, I even met "Evelyn Lin" when she was a student there. Don't know who she is. Google her, lol.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:42 PM

33 posts, read 177,240 times
And by the way mnita you honestly come across really mad,bitter and judmental personally attacking me lol I really do hope your not,because life is too short for that. Your beautiful,and i really do wish you nothing but the best because you deserve it hun Everyone who was kind thankyou!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego