Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 AM

38 posts, read 70,631 times

Advertisements

I have been a lurker on the forums for over a year and have been preparing to move to San Diego from the Mid-West for nearly 5 years. I have read all the posts about why to move or not to move, the cost of living, the weather, etc.

I have visited San Diego many times and I have quite a few friends who live there; in general I feel like I know the city pretty well (not as well as those who live there of course).

I began my job hunt from 2000 miles away about a year ago and have received 4 job offers, 2 of which I have currently and will be selecting 1 of them for my new job. I work in IT, but have average qualifications. I do interview well and it certainly hasn't been easy, but this brings me to the point of this post:

Have the vast majority of posters on this forum from San Diego become unemployed with a very negative outlook on life? It seems like everything I read is how it is impossible to find work in San Diego and you might as well give it up and forget moving to SD. Could it be this negative attitude that precludes some people from employment?

I'm not trying to judge or kick people when they are down. But certain posters seem to spend their days saying "Read the other posts, don't move here without 8 years of savings and 4 jobs" (hyperbole of course).

I just want to say to people, to be measured and practical, but you must also take risks. San Diego is a gorgeous, laid-back city that does have opportunities to succeed. Buying housing may be a hurdle and if that's your goal, you may want to look elsewhere. But if you simply wish to enjoy life in a beautiful place and especially if you live relatively meager as is.....don't give up.

When I am in SD with my wife, we are happy and we know it is the city for us on many different levels. I apologize for the long winded post, but please stay positive on these forums. Practicality is important, but so is living life.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,578,581 times
Welcome to sunny San Diego Bobbruce. And congrats on the new job.

For local employers to pay your long-distance interview expenses and pay your relocation expenses, you must have some fairly unique skills.

So on to the next phase... in what part of San Diego is your new job and where are going to live?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:32 AM

364 posts, read 611,436 times
From what I see lots of folks with IT backgrounds are trying desperately to get jobs flipping hamburgers nowadays. I would err on the side of caution before leaving for the golden state. Be sure to have employment locked up before moving. CA is not a cheap place to live. And it can be a miserable place to be unemployed.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:42 AM

The job is in the Kearney Mesa area and I plan to rent in North PB. My wife and I are in our late 20's, but we really like the laid-back atmosphere and yet, the noise of Garnet doesn't bother us. I have quite a few friends there as well, walking to everything we need and walking to all our friends is a great lifestyle.

The job I will likely be accepting is actually for a company a good friend works for...so networking helped me considerably landing that opportunity. That being said, it wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible. All of my friends in San Diego are gainfully employed and not everyone with a degree is "flippin' burgers" in SD.

I wish all of the unemployed good luck in your job hunt, but if you can't find employment I would spend your days reading and certifying yourself in new and attractive skills. Being proactive like that is certainly attractive to employers...

Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 AM

84 posts, read 440,870 times
Hi Bobbruce. I'm fairly new to the forums and SD in general, but I've seen many of the posts that you are talking about and can understand why forumers here react the way they do. Before I even knew about this forum, I came to SD for school with a lot of savings (I would never consider moving anywhere far without a good amount of emergency funds) and was able to secure an internship in a couple of months, so I am happy with my current situation in SD.

However, there are many new posters who come onto this board and start posting about how they'd love to move here without reading many of the other threads covering the same topic. And like those other posters, many of them don't have very well thought out plans on what they will do here. People on this forum are usually pretty knowledgeable and helpful, but they get tired of hand-holding just like anyone else.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:00 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Bobbruce...

Congrats on the job! I have recently completed an SD job search as well (also in IT) and will share my experiences in a few days.

A couple of comments on the tone you are seeing on the forum.

We get a lot of people posting on these forums with limited job skills and limited income potential, looking to move here and find a subsistence job. Personally I agree with the posters who say that those people should think twice about coming here.

However we do have some posters that are long-term unemployed, or underemployed, and perhaps are projecting their own situation and job prospects on everyone else. It's hard for them to see it from the perspective of an IT pro, a field that enjoys fairly strong demand even in terrible markets. You'll have to do your best to filter out that advice as in my opinion, it's not applicable.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 AM

Well Sassberto, having read these forums for so long, I certainly value your opinion and have enjoyed your insight on the SD area.

Also, I understand the feedback from regular forum members on the "I'm 20 years old, I have no savings, no car, no education and I want a place at the beach. Where should I go?" crowd. Without a plan or useful skills, you chance is meager at best.

I am more referring to professionals who simply need a change of pace...warning them of the situation is certainly warranted, but it's not all fire and brimstone if they choose to take a chance with a reasonable plan.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbruce View Post

I am more referring to professionals who simply need a change of pace...warning them of the situation is certainly warranted, but it's not all fire and brimstone if they choose to take a chance with a reasonable plan.
Thanks for the kind words. And I agree with you, I guess I wish we saw more posts from relocating professionals and fewer posts from people looking to get a job at McDonalds in Paradise :-)

Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
Yes, it's nice to hear from someone who will actually bring something to SD and gainfully contribute to our city, rather than just somebody who just hates the cold. The unemployment rate is now 11% (and it's really higher than that) so that has to be taken into consideration by anyone who is considering a move. You're very lucky to have gotten a job, and you admit yourself it was through a friend.

I think generally people receive alot of good advice here on various communities, schools, etc.

Some of us just try to bring folks down to earth about California these days. I've lived here 33 years and blessed to have been emplyed all those years for two great companies.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Yes, you did your job the right way. You job hunted and planned in advance, plus you have savings. Most of the posters that want to move here, think that they're just going to get here and get a job. But it's not that easy here these days.

Congratulations on your job and move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego