Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 08:57 PM

20 posts, read 52,833 times

Advertisements

Moving to San Diego, can anyone tell me about safe areas for two mid 20 year old guys, one with a wife and brand new baby. Are there any weekly rentals or apartments that would be suitable and not too expensive? Can you give me some idea of who to contact as far as landlords, etc.

With a brand new baby, sure don't want a drug infested, gang type area just a decent, clean neighborhood.

Are there some construction companies, truss yards, labor jobs around? Any contact information you can give me for them?

I appreciate any information that you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 09:15 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
You need to provide us with more details. Most labor jobs are taken by Hispanics, and there are lots of day laborers that are waiting at selected locations, and hoping for a day (or more of work). How much money do you have saved up? Coming here without a job at this time isn't a good idea.

What do you consider not too expensive?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 PM

Don't have much saved up, but looking to spend about 650-700 a month. I can run equipment, do all forms of construction, can build a house/cabin from the footers to the finish work, build trusses etc. My brother is an auto mechanic, not certified but worked in a shop for a few years. Just want a safe place for the new baby. Willing to work hard for a decent place to live.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 PM

You won't find any rentals in that price range here. If you do, it would probably be in a drug and gang infested neighborhood. The type of jobs that you're referring to in construction, are mostly taken by Hispanics. Your brother would need to be certified to get a job as an auto mechanic, and that's not a guarantee. Jobs are hard to come by here these days.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 AM

38 posts, read 70,631 times
I'm not going to lie, many times I read these threads and moved always posts the exact same thing when people ask about jobs. Sometimes it seems overly negative, but this time moved is more than correct.

You're situation sounds like a bad idea in many places, not just expensive places like San Diego. For your sake and the sake of that young baby, you might want to consider another area to relocate too.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks, I appreciate your honesty.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbruce View Post
I'm not going to lie, many times I read these threads and moved always posts the exact same thing when people ask about jobs. Sometimes it seems overly negative, but this time moved is more than correct.

You're situation sounds like a bad idea in many places, not just expensive places like San Diego. For your sake and the sake of that young baby, you might want to consider another area to relocate too.

I don't post the same answer any more than anyone else. I'm not the only one that tells people not to come here without a job at this time. If someone really wants to move here without a job at this time, they need at least a six month cushion of savings (and not $1000) to hold them.

I lost my job in January of 2009, and I'm on my second year of unemployment. I'm just now starting to interviewed and referred out to vacant positions by the Army and Navy (I have reinstatement eligibility). While I'm waiting for that to happen, I have one full time security job, and a part-time security job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: