Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 06:41 AM

465 posts, read 527,594 times

Advertisements

So I'm leaving my current location, South Korea, and coming back to the states for a bit, but before I go back home to Detroit, I want to do a stop over to see a Korean friend who's doing an exchange program there.

I just wanted to know about the transportation and if there is an easy way for me to get around? My friend goes to SDSU, but she obviously has no idea.

I would rent a car, but my license expired while I was overseas, and my new one is back home in Detroit.

I just want to know is it feasible for me to try to visit with no mode of transportation.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 01:35 PM

681 posts, read 2,795,781 times
It depends on where you are going to be staying and where you are going to be visiting. The trolley system in the city is great and goes right to the SDSU campus and can get you through the city all the way to the Mexico border. You can also transfer to buses to places where the trolley does not go. $5 gets you a day pass and access to both the trolley and buses. Of course, the downside is the amount of time it takes from point A to point B.

Another quicker alternative is taking a taxi, which I have not done myself and am not familiar enough to comment on the rates and service the taxi companies in the city provide.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:09 PM

141 posts, read 286,484 times
You wont NEED TO rent a car. Public Transpo is everywhere. Once at the airport a bus can take you downtown. U can then transfer to the trolley and go to SDSU. Trolley and buses cover most of the county, you got no worries as far as that goes. They run late and start early. I think it is the number 2 bus that goes from the airport to downtown. Then you get on the Mission Valley SDSU Trolley. Don't think twice about not having a car. It should not take you more than 45 minutes to get from the Airport to SDSU on the bus and trolley. There is plenty of places to eat close to SDSU and if you want to head out with your friend the trolley runs every 15 minutes or so most of the day.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:33 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,061,488 times
My family and I took a taxi from the airport to normal heights (near hillcrest, but nto quite as far as SDSU). We are pleasantly surprised that it only cost us $20 total-far less than a shuttle for 3 would have been. And faster. Use a cab option for convenience, if you have to (assuming you've got enough in your vacation budget).

If you are not in a rush to get places, you can definitely get by w/o a car.
If you want to see alot of the beaches, and tourist areas or beach communities, it will be harder, but not impossible. Again, if you are not rushed for time, it's do-able, for sure.

SD is also a great biking town-so if your friend has a bike, or can borrow one for you, or if you happen to be bringing one back from Korea (:, that's an option for some of the time. Still biking in the city, tho'...but there are numerous biking routes in town, and I know people who live w/o a car and bike everywhere. Buses are equipped to take bikes, as well. (I figure there are others reading this thread who may find this info useful, as well, in case the OP does not.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: