Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times

Advertisements

So I see people coming on here all the time, looking to move to SD and their main requirement is to be within walking/biking distance to the beach. How many people truly live within walking distance to the beach? We are a 10 minute drive to Coronado, our closest beach, and have never lived close enough to walk or even bike while in SD. I'm just curious if a lot of people actually do or if it's just part of that California dreaming thing they see on tv! The funniest thing to me is, we are from North Jersey. We lived 1.5 hours from the closest beach, yet went down the shore every single weekend in the summer. Now, we complain that La Jolla, which is about 15 minutes from us, is too far away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
People who live close to the beach aren't posting on this forum. They're too busy making money to afford their beachfront lifestyle.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
People who live close to the beach aren't posting on this forum. They're too busy making money to afford their beachfront lifestyle.
Or are too stoned to operate the computer in their shack.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
So I guess it's not really a beachfront lifestyle if you work 18 hr days, is it? Sure, you have the beachfront house, but never get to use it!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
I live ~2 miles away. Practically, a less than 30 minute drive to any beach from Cornonado up to Encinitas. Not bad.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:03 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Or are too stoned to operate the computer in their shack.
That's only on weekends for me. But it is a shack with thick, plaster walls at least.

I live 8 blocks from the ocean about 5 blocks north of Garnett Ave. If I didn't live here it would be somewhere in SD's urban core; downtown, North Park, Little Italy, etc... but I love living by the beach. Being able to hop on my bike and be at the ocean in 5 or so minutes is great, it's about a 15 minute walk. But during summer I usually drive to Windansea anyways, it's my favorite beach. The only time I really drive on weekends is when I leave PB, usually just walk or bike most places here.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:09 AM

15 posts, read 23,766 times
SAV858 - are you renting or owning? (Is that too personal?) If renting that close - how much is it?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 AM

renting, $1400 for a 2 bedroom. My friend has a 2 bedroom for $1100 a 1/2 block away and it's not any worse than my place but located on a busy street, but his complex has ridiculously low rent. Most tenants have been there 5+ years each. You can find ones for around $1200. They aren't nice of course, old but not that bad. No rats, no plumbing problems, stuff works, and the property is well maintained. $1200-1500 for a livable/decent 2 br I feel is on par in my area, prices gradually increases as you get closer to the water of course.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:17 AM

15 posts, read 23,766 times
I'm 37 - I don't want to be considered the old man on the block at that age.....are we talking a younger crown or varied in that area? Also, can you recommend the names of any complexes to look into? Thanks...

Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 AM

PB is generally younger overall, but Crown Point has some nice buildings that have plenty of older people your age. You won't be the oldest on your block imo, depending on what block though. Blocks with cheaper, dumpy apartments will attract younger crowds. Complexes right on the Bay tend to attract older ones. I don't hang out in Crown Point too much but there are some nice residential streets with nice single family homes with older people and families.

It's a mix though. I've had friends that have lived in Bay Point, this huge sprawling apt complex on Ingraham. It was a mix there. I would go play tennis at their courts and there are plenty of older people playing tennis there but also younger people hanging out at the pool. Avalon across the street is more upscale so they might have an older demographic. You won't be completely out of place in that area, plenty of people your age but also plenty of younger people too. There aren't too many big complexes in PB, those two would be some of the biggest and most well known. The other bigger ones tend to be in east PB, which is probably not where you want to choose. Farther from the ocean and more downscale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego