Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times

Advertisements

surviving as a professional in San Diego will test your patience and intestinal fortitude as you navigate the hordes of small-time players, entrepreneurs, and marginal public corporations. If you have the stomach to cope with semi-annual layoffs and can say no to lowball offers, you can make it here. But if I had to do it all over again, and really wanted to live in Southern California, I would have moved to LA / OC instead. The pay is better, the market is richer, and everyone is operating at a higher level. Denver is really the same as San Diego but with a much lower cost of housing, that takes a bit of the pressure off your income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 10:01 AM

38 posts, read 70,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
surviving as a professional in San Diego will test your patience and intestinal fortitude as you navigate the hordes of small-time players, entrepreneurs, and marginal public corporations. If you have the stomach to cope with semi-annual layoffs and can say no to lowball offers, you can make it here. But if I had to do it all over again, and really wanted to live in Southern California, I would have moved to LA / OC instead. The pay is better, the market is richer, and everyone is operating at a higher level. Denver is really the same as San Diego but with a much lower cost of housing, that takes a bit of the pressure off your income.
The lowball offers in San Diego can be crazy, that's something I noticed early on. In IT they will try and hire people with 5 years experience, 12 different programming language skills, support, development, yadda yadda and then offer 13 dollars an hour.

If you wait the jobs that are for real come along just like anywhere else, but I've never seen a town where more companies try to hire people for peanuts, just because they know people just want to move to SD. I'm sure these are the same companies doing semi-annual layoffs, because they are run so poorly.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbruce View Post
The lowball offers in San Diego can be crazy, that's something I noticed early on. In IT they will try and hire people with 5 years experience, 12 different programming language skills, support, development, yadda yadda and then offer 13 dollars an hour.

If you wait the jobs that are for real come along just like anywhere else, but I've never seen a town where more companies try to hire people for peanuts, just because they know people just want to move to SD. I'm sure these are the same companies doing semi-annual layoffs, because they are run so poorly.
Churn and burn baby... several local corps (even some fairly large ones) are notorious for this.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:09 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,616 times
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but as I recall, in your other post, you mentioned your age and I can't emphasize enough that you really need to factor that in. Age discrimination is alive and well everywhere, including San Diego. This area is loaded with young people. So is Denver. If you are 50+, it is rough going out there unless you have connections to a company. I've been through it...I had to make a decision similar to yours a few years ago and the reality was that I would have a tough time finding work because of my age, even with a pay cut. I had a tough time even being considered for a transfer within my own company...that's one of the reasons I stayed where I am.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
Regarding Denver and snow ...

Two of my sibs live in greater Denver area. San Diego is a bit right-wing for my political tastes, so I am considering retiring to the Denver area. I asked my sister about the snow, and she said that typically there are a couple of really harsh weeks during winter. Otherwise it's quite livable in winter.

Keep in mind that review is based on our childhood in Chicago ... lotsa' snow, serious winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego