Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 07:58 PM

88 posts, read 206,415 times

Advertisements

I've been living here for a few years now but never really fully explored what is really San Diego. I live downtown and for the past few years, have only been working, or else going to hang with friends in the LA area.

Recently, I was laid off from my job and would love to take the time to explore what really is San Diego. I have never been on trolley system (bad, I know). I drive everywhere I go. I have been to the basic touristy areas like Balboa Park, zoo, Sea World, Embarcadero, Torrey Pines, Coronado (love to walk on the beaches out there, seen bits of OB and PB and Carlsbad.

Would you ever just go out your door and hop on the trolley and go exploring? I did that when I went and visited San Francisco, hopped on the cable cars and explored around and then took the BART around. That was fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 08:17 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Get a car
Drive around

Old 03-14-2010, 08:27 PM

I already have a car and have driven around.

Just wonder if it is fun to take the trolley around as a way to explore? and where else to explore besides the places I listed above.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times
The trolley goes to a limited number of places.

Do you want to explore Volunteers of America? Do you want to explore George Bailey or Donovan jail/prison respectively? Then have fun on the trolley.

Other than that go to the Wild Animal Park, Palomar Observatory, Cleveland National Park, Oceanside Pier, Los Penasquitos Preserve, Mission Trails......there are so many places...

Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
trolley is mostly irrelevant to the "real" San Diego.

It's not a big place, you can see most of the major and many of the minor attractions in a couple of weeks. It's mostly about the lifestyle here.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 PM

thanx for the suggestions.

Sassberto, when you say it is "mostly about the lifestyle here" what do you mean by that?

Just curious. I have been living here for about 4 years and to me, San Diegans seem to be laid back. I don't have a lot of friends down here and not too much of a social life. My main things for entertainment are shopping, going out to eat, and going walking on the beach.

Been thinking about taking kayaking lessons though.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapiggie101 View Post

Sassberto, when you say it is "mostly about the lifestyle here" what do you mean by that?
Sorry let me clarify...

If you're not into the party scene... and/or have been here a long time... life revolves around the low-key lifestyle and enjoying the outdoors. It's not a place where everyone is packing up to go to attractions (although plenty of tourists are doing that)

It's about backyard BBQ's with family and friends, going to the beach. Trips to the park or playground. Running or kayaking or surfing or whatever athletic activity floats your boat. Shopping, maybe an occasional night out for dinner or a movie. If you have family you go the zoo, playgrounds, etc.

My life is mostly focused on my family. We stay pretty close to home and in our immediate area. We run in the neighborhood. We go to Balboa Park a few times a week. My wife goes to different playgrounds, libraries and activities as part of her playgroups. We have friends over for dinner or meet them at a local restaurant. Nieces and nephews play in the backyard. We also have been here a long time w/family (wife is born and raised here) and a few longtime friends.... everyone for the most part has a house of their own now. It's a pretty laid-back lifestyle and we do enjoy it. We're not investing much energy in meeting new people anymore.

San Diego is not the type of place where there are a few major attractions or districts where everyone goes and there's always something going on. There is always something to do but it's spread out and there might not be a critical mass of people interested in any specific thing. I found this to be especially true with arts and culture activities.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Sorry let me clarify...

If you're not into the party scene... and/or have been here a long time... life revolves around the low-key lifestyle and enjoying the outdoors. It's not a place where everyone is packing up to go to attractions (although plenty of tourists are doing that)

It's about backyard BBQ's with family and friends, going to the beach. Trips to the park or playground. Running or kayaking or surfing or whatever athletic activity floats your boat. Shopping, maybe an occasional night out for dinner or a movie. If you have family you go the zoo, playgrounds, etc.

My life is mostly focused on my family. We stay pretty close to home and in our immediate area. We run in the neighborhood. We go to Balboa Park a few times a week. My wife goes to different playgrounds, libraries and activities as part of her playgroups. We have friends over for dinner or meet them at a local restaurant. Nieces and nephews play in the backyard. We also have been here a long time w/family (wife is born and raised here) and a few longtime friends.... everyone for the most part has a house of their own now. It's a pretty laid-back lifestyle and we do enjoy it. We're not investing much energy in meeting new people anymore.

San Diego is not the type of place where there are a few major attractions or districts where everyone goes and there's always something going on. There is always something to do but it's spread out and there might not be a critical mass of people interested in any specific thing. I found this to be especially true with arts and culture activities.
If the schools were up to par for you (and you already own a home and have a career tract), would you still move to achieve something more in lifestyle that another place offers?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
If the schools were up to par for you (and you already own a home and have a career tract), would you still move to achieve something more in lifestyle that another place offers?
Yes. I would like to have a larger home, with more property, and not have to earn 150k to afford it. We are a single income family, I'd like to be able to stay that way indefinitely. I would trade off San Diego for that. If I made 250k and could afford a 900k+ home in Mission Hills or Point Loma I would stay forever.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:17 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Sorry let me clarify...

Perfectly said. Except some of us are still expanding our social circle-but it's true, many don't, if they have family in town, have lived here for a long time, and have children---you get into your niche-which is true in almost any part of the country,in my experience.

I have a few ideas for places to visit, for the OP.
(I lived in SD from 96-98, left for 5 yrs, and have been back in SD for 8 yrs now...I have lived here as a single college student, and as a married (to a SD native) with children wife/mom...

Right now, I would drive to Anza Borrego desert (90 min.) SD county, not the city, i know. But the spring wildflowers in the desert this year are rumored to be amazing, with the rain they have had. Check out the wildflower report on line...you will also usually see mountain goats grazing, etc. It's a fantastic area, and you can do it in a day if you get up early, and get there before it gets to hot. I think you will not regret it.

Continuing on the outdoor trend, there's a free local xeriscape botanical gardens at Cuyamaca college-it's a pretty little area, and worth a morning trip. Also, the Encinitas Botanical Gardens are gorgeous. And Encinitas is always a fun time. You can also add on the free gardens at Self Realization Fellowship,which is right on the water/101 in Encinitas. Look it up-kind of a legendary place in SD history. And just down the street, you can stop at Swami's cafe/restaurant-also been around for years, and a fixture in the local surf/encinitas scene. These are not really touristy places, per se, (ie,off the beaten track tourism, more so),and they do give a taste of day to day san diego life,IMO.

Hotel Del Coronado is also a great piece of history,a nd you could do this in the same day at the museum naval ship downtown area. hotel Del has walls of photos of celebs of yesteryear, and it's a great place to have a drink and enjoy.

The museums at Balboa Park rotate free days; each tuesday of the month there are several that are free to SD residents. Look up the list online. The Japanese gardens are very cool, IMO. But all the museums have current exhibits nad something to offer. The free botanical gardens in Balboa park is also worth a walk around. Basic, but interesting, assuming you enjoy flowers, plants, etc.

If you have not been, Normal Heights/Adams Ave, and Kensington, all the way down to Park Blvd in Univ. Heights, are great hoods to walk around in, and spend a day or part of a day. There are a couple of old record shops, lots of antique shops, the historic Ken cinema, and the Parkhouse restaurant on Park Blvd., among other places (used to have alot of independent bookstores, but they've since closed). The closest you could take the trolley would be mission valley, and then you'd have to walk or bus up texas street and find your way to Adams, a couple of blocks over. This area is not really touristy, but it is historic, and it's also a slice of 'the real san diego', so to speak. In fact, Adams ave has the now well- used 'trolley barn park'-it's now a park with play structure/free concerts in the summer, etc. but it used to literally be the trolley barn-my spouse lived in the area when it still had the shed that housed trolleys-as the area used to host streetcars for transportation, back in the day.

Another interesting experience is walking down el cajon blvd. lol.
seriously, around the 35th block-45th block, it's safe enough during the day, and there are taco and tamale trucks, vietnamese pho joints, fresh fruit juice stands, etc. along with a colorful array of characters. I've done it with my child, and we had a good time. Or, simply drive down El Cajon, heading WAY out, and you will see an amazing array of restaurants, including ethiopian, vietnamese, etc. That way, you can choose where you stop, if at all. We've eaten in the area in the early evening, but it is definitely iffy at best at night. Daytime keep your wits about you, and you should be perfectly fine. I actually almost feel like I am either in an urban african city [where i have lived-the vibe is similar]or a small mexican city,etc when driving through parts of ECB. It's like a vacation w/o leaving town,er, sort of.

And, pretty cool homemade chocolate shop that has incredible truffles; owner dude was a sculptor who went into chocolate. It's called Eclipse chocolate, and it's near the El Cajon/Park blvd intersection.

Nearby North Park: good walkable hood-go to Cafe Calabria on 30th and University-hands down the best cappucino or latte in SD. They roast their own beans, and in fact train other cafe staff in town. Good tea and homemade italian style pannini type sandwiches, as well. But the reason I mention them, is that they are great people-and you should just ask them for their tips/ideas on seeing the real san diego. It's also a beautiful spot to chill, check out the regulars, and ask around. Across the street is Rancho's mexican restaurant-also a fixture in the SD landscape for many years.

Anyway,just some thoughts on places that might be fun/local for jaunts. It's true, after a couple of weeks, you will probably be back to eating out and walking on the beach.(:

Speaking of beach-Il Fornaio in Del Mar has great food and great views of the ocean from it's second floor restaurant. Sure, Del Mar has lots of tourists, but lots of regulars, too.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-15-2010 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego