Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:59 AM

50,429 posts, read 47,155,129 times

Advertisements

Leucadia for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,578,636 times
If you stay West of I-5, you could find a place that suits you anywhere from Carlsbad down to Solana Beach in my opinion. That includes Leucadia and Encinitas.

Edit: I forgot to mention Cardiff By the Sea. That is probably my top choice since you stated that money is no object. You're close enough to Rancho Santa Fe for the nice golf courses, but far enough away to where you don't have to deal with those people on a daily basis. They run most of their errands in Del Mar and Solana Beach.

Last edited by mark311; 03-19-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-19-2010, 04:24 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,075,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I know you said North County, but Ocean Beach would fit you perfectly. Good surf, lots of awesome vegetarian restaurants and they even have a co-op that has lots of local, healthy foods. They have a farmers market every week (I believe OB is Wed) and it's definitely an artistic kinda neighborhood.
NO! Love the co-op in ocean beach, but DO NOT recommend this at all. OB is not what it once was. And it is dangerous, alot of meth activity, crime, and urban living these days...go there to shop at People's, and live somewhere else. Seriously.

The first thought that came to mind when I read the OP, is Encinitas/Leucadia.
For sure, without a doubt.
Another choice would be, going for more urban, north/south park-ish areas.
Again, do not live in OB.(:

Old 03-19-2010, 04:35 PM

176 posts, read 635,616 times
Alright, calm down a bit. OB is not dangerous compared to the rest of the county. Please stop spreading that myth.

Violent Crimes jan09-dec09 107
Places with a higher amount

Bay Terraces
Colina Del Sol
Core-Colimbia
Corridor
East Village
Hillcrest
Logan heights
Mira Mesa
Mountain View
North Park
Otay Mesa West
Pacific Beach (278)
San Ysidro

Total Crimes jan09-dec09 487
Places with a higher amount

Bay Terraces
Carmel Valley
Clairemont Mesa East
Core-Columbia
East Village
Grantville
Hillcrest
Kearny Mesa
La Jolla
Linda Vista
Midway District
Mira Mesa
Mission Valley East
Mission Valley West
Mountain View
North Park
Oak Park
Otay Mesa West
Pacific Beach (1676)
Point Loma Height
Rancho Bernardo
San Ysidro
Serra Mesa
University City

Last edited by oBak; 03-19-2010 at 04:53 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,749,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oBak View Post
Alright, calm down a bit. OB is not dangerous compared to the rest of the county. Please stop spreading that myth.
I agree, OB isn't what I'd call dangerous, at all. The further away from Newport Ave and the beach, the better.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:04 AM

55 posts, read 185,958 times
Thanks for all of the wonderful comments. Could someone tell me about Del Mar, and would that be a place we would want to look at. It looked like a beautiful community, and it looked very safe. Would this be an option for us as well?
I checked out Leucadia, and it looks nice, but the beach looks kind of rocky. My wife and I are kind of looking for a nice sandy beach in which to live near. Would Moonlight Beach be ok to check out? Is Cardiff by the Sea considered Encinitas? Forgive me, as I'm not familar with the area.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,858,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDad View Post
Thanks for all of the wonderful comments. Could someone tell me about Del Mar, and would that be a place we would want to look at. It looked like a beautiful community, and it looked very safe. Would this be an option for us as well?
I checked out Leucadia, and it looks nice, but the beach looks kind of rocky. My wife and I are kind of looking for a nice sandy beach in which to live near. Would Moonlight Beach be ok to check out? Is Cardiff by the Sea considered Encinitas? Forgive me, as I'm not familar with the area.
The Encinitas coastline is mostly bluffs with staircases leading down to the beach. For the most part, it's not a flat, wide sandy beach like you'll see in Newport or Huntington. I wouldn't say they're rocky, but they are separated by bluffs. The same is true for most of North County (Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Del Mar). Del Mar is a nice town too. More expensive than other areas along the coast, but very small (15,000 residents) and exclusive. The beaches are the same though.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:30 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,994,487 times
From your post it sounds like you want the OB vibe with the North County location. I'd pick Cardiff over Leucadia, just because it's a little bit nicer and has less pockets of run down areas. Besides the fact that you could ride your bike to Leucadia from Cardiff in 15 minutes.

You mentioned Del Mar, but I don't think you'd really like it there if you are of the "less is more" mentality. Unless your idea of less is having the maid only come 3 days a week instead of 5.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:40 PM

176 posts, read 635,616 times
Yeah, Del Mar doesn't fit the vibe at all.
Any place near Swami's should be good for you.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,578,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDad View Post
Cardiff is just in-between Encinitas and Solana Beach.

Moonlight Beach has always been a nice beach, but it's one of the few beaches in that area that actually has a pretty good sized parking lot so it's really crowded with families. I grew up going there and on days when a lifeguard is present, there is a surfing section on one side and a "swimming" section on one side. So for surfing it can get pretty crowded depending on when you go.

The truth is, if you can handle living in Newport Beach, then Del Mar would be fine. It's probably the most upscale throughout the entire city. It still has a lot of "old money" in the area near the ocean so it's less of what you probably don't like about Newport beach. Go a bit North East of Del Mar up Via De La Valle and you hit one of the most expensive residential areas in the country (Rancho Santa Fe including Fairbanks Ranch). Del Mar is their stomping grounds since there is very little shopping actually in Rancho Santa Fe. Rancho Santa Fe has a lot of "old money" people.

I think the only downfall of living in Del Mar is crowds and traffic during the summer which you're already used to in Newport Beach. You get crowds everywhere on the coast, however, the Del Mar Fair (now called San Diego County Fair) is there for part of the summer and the horse races are there for another portion of the summer.

Del Mar 2010 Season Information

There is a little mall right on Coast Highway and some other upscale shops and restaurants. Again, this attracts a lot of tourists. I pasted a link to it below. I guess I just prefer the peacefulness of Cardiff compared to most of the other coastal areas. As others have stated, big sandy beaches aren't as common in North County San Diego which is normally a good thing for surfers.

Del Mar Plaza – Del Mar Parking, hours and directions

Del Mar is very safe as you stated, but it's also one of the least diverse places around if that's what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego