Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:28 AM

10 posts, read 29,143 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20-something female relocating to the San Diego area for work. My job will be based in Carlsbad but I understand that the COL there is pretty steep compared to FL (I pay $1,080 for a 2 bdrm.) I know that commuting is pretty rough as well so where would be an affordable place to live?

Three things I would love to find if possible:
1. I would love to live somewhere that is centralized to activity. Able to walk to nearby shops, grocery stores and restaurants.
2. Rent around or less than $1,600 would love a 2 bdrm but I'm feeling like I will have to downsize.
3. Less than 25 minute commute (max 30 mins)

Help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
You should be able to find a 2BR apartment in Carlsbad for 1600/mo or a bit above.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:34 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
I lived in FL and live in CA now. If you tell me which area of FL you live in, I can explain to you the differences.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:46 AM

10 posts, read 29,143 times
I've lived all over Fl so I'm prepared for anything! Started in Miami, then to Boca, then Tampa currently Orlando. I loved Miami for all it had to offer but hated the people (well the people in most of FL pretty much suck unless they are transplants.) Orlando has been the worst.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Really? I hated Miami and liked Orlando alot. Anywho, housing will be double in Carlsbad compared to most of Orlando...maybe more. The weather will be cooler and of course not humid. A 25 minute commute anywhere in SoCal equals alot more rent.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:29 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
If you are working in Carlsbad, you could definitely find apartments in Carlsbad too, which is a big plus commute-wise obviously. Carlsbad has a nice "village" with coffee shops, etc. But most likely you'd still have to drive to get there. Everybody in CA drives everywhere, even if it's two blocks away.

The other areas close to Carlsbad would be Encinitas, La Costa, Poinsettia exit area. There are plenty of apartments around there and I think you could find a 2 bedroom for $1600. You'll also be close to the ocean which is a big plus and the weather is very temperate.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:35 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
You won't have a problem finding a place in Carlsbad, La Costa, or a bit further south in Encinitas. You could find an older apartment walking distance to the beach within your budget or a newer unit in a place like La Costa.

I've had the best luck in the past contacting property management companies in Carlsbad for rentals. They often handle condos and townhomes so you're surrounded by people that own most of the units around you. Sometimes the rents are just as cheap as the mega apartment complexes. Myself and other people that I know have had good luck with places like Doors Real Estate Management and Golden Key Properties, but there are a ton of companies in the area.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:48 PM

88 posts, read 206,400 times
Carlsbad is nice to live in. The village "downtown" has a lot of nice, laid-back coffee and food places and the beach is nice out in that part of town.

Otherwise, you could find a place in downtown San Diego. With $1600 as your limit for rent, you could find a nice one-bedroom, close to all the action. Drive time would be about 1/2 hour

Old 03-25-2010, 06:12 PM

20 posts, read 86,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2next View Post
I'm a 20-something female relocating to the San Diego area for work. My job will be based in Carlsbad but I understand that the COL there is pretty steep compared to FL (I pay $1,080 for a 2 bdrm.) I know that commuting is pretty rough as well so where would be an affordable place to live?

Three things I would love to find if possible:
1. I would love to live somewhere that is centralized to activity. Able to walk to nearby shops, grocery stores and restaurants.
2. Rent around or less than $1,600 would love a 2 bdrm but I'm feeling like I will have to downsize.
3. Less than 25 minute commute (max 30 mins)

Help would be much appreciated!
You found the best place to live, in Carlsbad... Perfect..... Maybe a little more in rent, like 1600.00 for a decent place... 1400-1600.00

Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
If you are working in Carlsbad, you could definitely find apartments in Carlsbad too, which is a big plus commute-wise obviously. Carlsbad has a nice "village" with coffee shops, etc. But most likely you'd still have to drive to get there. Everybody in CA drives everywhere, even if it's two blocks away.

The other areas close to Carlsbad would be Encinitas, La Costa, Poinsettia exit area. There are plenty of apartments around there and I think you could find a 2 bedroom for $1600. You'll also be close to the ocean which is a big plus and the weather is very temperate.
I live in carmel valley, and we walk everywhere-parks, library, rec center, food stores, movie theate,r etc. (:
Not everyone drives everywhere, though your point is valid.
Anyway, Carmel Valley is an option for around 1600 for a two bedroom. We have a 2/2, w/d in unit and we pay 1460, with the usual pool, tennis court, etc. and walking distance to all.

The OP can definitely stay close by work, and live in Carlsbad, so I don't know that this is useful info-but if you want to look at a couple of options, Carmel Valley can be added, in addition to Carlsbad itself. CV would be about 20 min. drive, and it's a reverse commute, for the most part, so traffic should never be particularly rough. [someone can correct me if I am wrong on this-as I don't drive this route often!]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego