Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 03:29 PM

20 posts, read 41,467 times

Advertisements

I've been following this board for a little bit and I notice that again and again people say "you need to have a job before you come here!" Which is excellent advice...however, to my knowledge most places rarely even consider out-of-staters when going through resumes. So how exactly does one go about getting that ever-elusive job? I'm assuming one must be prepared to fly out (at least once, but chances are multiple times) for interviews too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 03:35 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I just met a woman who moved here 3 weeks ago. She applied online to work as a fitness trainer at a chain of womans gym's and was interviewed, and hired over the phone. Now, it's just a part time, low paying thing but her husband was transfered here with a much better paying and full time position and she just wanted something to do right off the bat.

I'm going to assume most of the "get a job before you move here" advice is geared towards those who need something a little more professional in order to support themselves. Flying out for interviews is common in those cases. The alternative is to have some savings that you can live on while job hunting.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:05 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
You need to have a very substantial savings to come here without a job.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombe View Post
I've been following this board for a little bit and I notice that again and again people say "you need to have a job before you come here!" Which is excellent advice...however, to my knowledge most places rarely even consider out-of-staters when going through resumes. So how exactly does one go about getting that ever-elusive job? I'm assuming one must be prepared to fly out (at least once, but chances are multiple times) for interviews too?
In better times a decent savings and a true understanding of an area were enough to make the move without the job, or, keep trying until you get one, which didn't used to be too hard. In todays market there is really no discussion on the issue: either have a job or stay pu!!!

Nita

Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombe View Post
I moved out here without a job but got lucky and it a different environment now. I also came with about $10k in savings, which really was barely enough in hindsight.

Only move out here without a job if you have about a minimum of $15k in savings and don't mind burning through it in 6 months if you can't find a job. Or if you know someone out here you can stay with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego