Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 05:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,413,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I wonder how strong the earthquake felt in San Diego, as compared to Mexicalli?

If it registered as 7.2 at the epicenter, what would the reading be here in San Diego?

Obviously the San Diego number would be much lower.
To me, if it were a local SD event I would have called it somewhere between a 4 or 4.5 based on my experience with them in the Bay Area. trust me, they can feel a lot worse than that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,038,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
To me, if it were a local SD event I would have called it somewhere between a 4 or 4.5 based on my experience with them in the Bay Area. trust me, they can feel a lot worse than that one.
I was thinking like a 5... It's the strongest one I've felt, though, so I don't have anything further up the scale to compare it with.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:01 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,402,438 times
It's interesting that even a 4 magnitude earthquake can be frightening if you happen to live near the epicenter. Several weeks ago a magnitude 4 hit around Pico Rivera\ Montebello area. People felt it all over the LA basin but went back to sleep [it hit around 4AM] yet the people living near the epicenter were interviewed on TV & some were still crying in fear.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 PM

4,544 posts, read 12,416,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I was thinking like a 5... It's the strongest one I've felt, though, so I don't have anything further up the scale to compare it with.
I was here for the 1986, 5.4 earthquake that was centered 35 miles off the coast. By the time it reached San Diego it probably felt more like a high 4. This one felt bigger than that one, so I'm agreeing with Jenkay, this felt like a local 5 magnitude by the time it traveled to San Diego from Mexicali.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Maybe you're right because everyone keeps saying it felt like that to them. Felt like a 4 to mid 4 to me but I could be wrong.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It's interesting that even a 4 magnitude earthquake can be frightening if you happen to live near the epicenter. Several weeks ago a magnitude 4 hit around Pico Rivera\ Montebello area. People felt it all over the LA basin but went back to sleep [it hit around 4AM] yet the people living near the epicenter were interviewed on TV & some were still crying in fear.
Almost any quake will get your attention when you're near the epicenter. I remember a 2.8 one in Oakland that jolted me and I thought it was much larger than it was. Turns out, I was two blocks from the epicenter.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:53 PM

91 posts, read 270,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
When the BIG one comes you can count on some women who will be raped. There will be weak men who will fall prey to strong men or men with weapons. Gangs will stick together, as any brotherhood should. Cops, a gang in their own right, are not as strong a brotherhood. Some cops will be on the fence. Some cops will do the right thing while other cops will either bolt for the hills or turn against the law they swore to uphold by preying on the weak. So you think you have an advantage because you go to 24 Hour Fitness six or seven times a week? Being able to bench press 225lbs seventeen times or having a name like Chuck Liddel won't matter one bit. Have a camera at times like this because you'll get photo ops the type that comes around only once in a million years. Through it all the best prepared man and woman for the BIG one will be the beaten down local homeless person you see out on the street every day. The homeless will have a leg up on us in a natural disaster. We'll be comedians providing entertainment for them while they point fingers at us and laugh their ass off at us as we try to cope with hell on earth. Have guns, cameras and knives at the ready. Join a gang or a motorcycle club ASAP for safetys sake. If Kartrina didn't teach you any of this then you're a natural idiot. I see idiots like you every day. Some of you are teachers, others are administrators, while others are court judges.

When it hit I yelled loud, towards the end I yelled out at the top of my lungs as if I had one the lotto. In part due to fear while another part of me felt exhiliarated, the same exact feeling a child gets when they ride a roller coaster or when an adult with a parachute strapped to their back steps out of a plane and plunges to the ground. Towards the middle of the quake I lapsed into a psychotic-like state, something I'm prone to do during a quake. I was sure that someone or something mechanical was pushing my apartment building around from side to side, I had no doubt about that. But why? I grew up in the Bay Area, so I've experienced quakes plenty of times before (Loma Prieta, 1989) but I always lapse into the same uncontrollable mindset whenever they unfurl: in the first few seconds I immediately acknowledge that it's an earthquake, of course, what else can it be? Halfway through it I then shelve that idea and substitute it with an idea that's totally different. I begin to wonder in earnest who's pissed off, what agitated person is pushing the walls around like silly putty and just how are they able to accomplish such a neat trick? At this point it's not an earthquake as much as it is a silly prank or an annoyance of some type. I then wonder what large mechanical object (say like a large crane with a big boom on the end) is messing around with the structure I'm in and what on earth for don't they know this building is occupied and do they have the proper permits? I don't know why I'm programmed to think these things whenever an earthquake strikes. It appears to be in my DNA. San Diego dodged a bullit yesterday...or a nuclear warhead. When I stepped out onto my patio balcony I saw my neighbor standing in the street and with wide eyes I exclaimed with all sincerity that it was good to see that he was still alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
gentoo=p.o.s
Wow, you can definitely tell a crazy person by hijacking a thread and starting out on a rambling, insane, embarassingly ridiculous post by saying "When the BIG one comes you can count on some women who will be raped"

LOL
HotOrNot, for your crazy rambling and then insulting forum members baselessly, you have just won Internet FAIL of The Day!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:37 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,605,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Maybe you're right because everyone keeps saying it felt like that to them. Felt like a 4 to mid 4 to me but I could be wrong.
I was next town over to the 4.9 Whittier Narrows quake. I was in Northridge for their 5.1 aftershock. The 7.2 near Mexicali felt more like a 4 to me in Poway. I wonder if the people who thought it felt more like a 5 were somewhere closer to Mexicali than Poway is ...

Old 04-08-2010, 10:54 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,748,596 times
Anyone else feel that one a few minutes ago? Quick jolt that shook my building. Just checked and it looks like a 5.5 in the Mexicali area once again.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I was next town over to the 4.9 Whittier Narrows quake. I was in Northridge for their 5.1 aftershock. The 7.2 near Mexicali felt more like a 4 to me in Poway. I wonder if the people who thought it felt more like a 5 were somewhere closer to Mexicali than Poway is ...
ok see I grew up near the Hayward Fault with earthquakes in the 4's and 5's and this one just felt 4ish to me.

Speaking of quakes, anyone feel the mild one just now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego