Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2010, 06:59 AM
 
4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Reputation: 2785

Advertisements

ok well at least it was a 6 cause people said it felt like a 3 or 4. It didn't feel that small at all.

I think this video is the best video of the 7.2!


YouTube - earthquake on easter in el centro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2010, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Reputation: 1802
More bad news. According to an article in the LA Times the Easter day earthquake has put more pressure on nearby fault-lines especially the Elsinore and the San Jacinto faults that run through San Diego and San Bernardino counties.

"Scientists say earthquakes now are more likely on those two faults, but because so little is known about them, it's hard to calculate the risks.

On Thursday, NASA flew a specially equipped Gulfstream III jet over the quake zone, looking for signs of Earth rupture that could help experts understand how the various faults are connected.

There are several key clues scientists were looking for during the nearly six-hour research flight, which covered such seismically active areas as the Salton Sea and U.S.-Mexico border as well as the San Diego coast. If data show slipping along the northern edges of the Mexican fault that triggered the 7.2 quake, that would suggest that pressure is being placed on faults in Southern California".


Earthquakes: Scientists seek clues in Mexicali earthquake - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 10:45 AM
 
Location: El Centro
16 posts, read 24,171 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
I know this thread is old, but I am really curious as to the magnitude of this one when it hit San Diego county because it did not feel like a 4 or 5 like people here said, it felt like may a 6.1 or 6.2.


In SnD it may have felt like a 4 or 5 if one had struck right underneath at a 4 or 5 magnitude. But usually the big rolling quakes that last very long means there was more likely a major quake that occurred some place several hundred miles away or a good distance of more than 30 to or more 40 miles beneath the earth's surface. The last good sized ones here , right before they hit there is a lot of vibration, kinda like the old vibrating beds when you put a quarter in, only more intense. I've noticed that when those instances happen, they are usually followed by a huge jolt or quake so if that happens in San Diego, you guys better get under something and hold the hell on. Pray to God that San Diego doesnt get one off shore and hope it is not a subduction type, like in Chile cause you're talking some major shaking if that happens. Even we Imperial Valleyites would get hit hard too. If more quakes occur in our area due to the Laguna and Elsinore faults, since they seem to travel upwards or N NW, a majority of the waves will be going towards San Diego and more of Northern Cal. Sucks to be you guys over there. I have, however noticed an increase in activity northward, specially in the Anza Borrego areas and small ones towards San Diego. I wonder if the Elsinore Fault is just making some elbow room after being shoved and cramped by the Laguna Sulada Fualt. I do remmeber back in 2007 or 2008 when we had the 5. that was centered just East of the 7.2 in Baja Cal, that set off all kinds of activity, aftershocks like every minute. Then the area of the Sulada fault started to show a lot of activity before it decided to bust, I am concerned and nervous about the Yuha Wells fault and that are where more aftershocks have been occurring lately right underneath Ocotillo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 11:52 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
ok well at least it was a 6 cause people said it felt like a 3 or 4. It didn't feel that small at all.

I think this video is the best video of the 7.2!


YouTube - earthquake on easter in el centro
Oh no, I meant it didn't feel like a 6 here. I'm sure it felt like that in El Centro. Growing up in the Bay Area, we had quakes almost every day at one point when I was younger. I know what a 5 feels like and it didn't feel like a 5 to me here in SD. A good 4 for sure though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 11:57 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
In SnD it may have felt like a 4 or 5 if one had struck right underneath at a 4 or 5 magnitude. But usually the big rolling quakes that last very long means there was more likely a major quake that occurred some place several hundred miles away or a good distance of more than 30 to or more 40 miles beneath the earth's surface. The last good sized ones here , right before they hit there is a lot of vibration, kinda like the old vibrating beds when you put a quarter in, only more intense. I've noticed that when those instances happen, they are usually followed by a huge jolt or quake so if that happens in San Diego, you guys better get under something and hold the hell on.
uh-huh! This is exactly what they are like when you're close to them. You feel what are called the primary waves (P waves) first. Those are the higher frequency waves that cause that initial jolt or vibration. Then the stronger secondary waves (S waves) come and those are the ones that do the damage. They feel very different when you're close to them. I'm sure Cal. sur can attest to that fact as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
uh-huh! This is exactly what they are like when you're close to them. You feel what are called the primary waves (P waves) first. Those are the higher frequency waves that cause that initial jolt or vibration. Then the stronger secondary waves (S waves) come and those are the ones that do the damage. They feel very different when you're close to them. I'm sure Cal. sur can attest to that fact as well.
You are correct. The first shake starts off relatively gentle followed immediately by heavy jolts. But the Northridge earthquake hit like a hammer from the start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:54 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You are correct. The first shake starts off relatively gentle followed immediately by heavy jolts. But the Northridge earthquake hit like a hammer from the start.
I thought the damn Northridge quake was here in SD. Of all the quakes I've felt here, that was the most intense, more so than the Easter quake. Remember Big Bear and Landers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Tijuana Exurbs
4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Reputation: 6280
Fortunately, San Diego is not near any subduction faults so we don't have to worry about the truly massive 9+ earthquakes that occur in Chile, Indonesia, or Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Fortunately, San Diego is not near any subduction faults so we don't have to worry about the truly massive 9+ earthquakes that occur in Chile, Indonesia, or Alaska.
Yeah, San Diego is historically safer than both the Bay Area and Los Angeles. A very powerful earthquake on the southern San Andreas could easily be damaging for San Diego also. But science has discovered so many fault lines under the LA metro area that it has to be one of the highest risk areas on the West Coast. Seismologists didn't even know the previously-undiscovered fault line that cause the Northridge even existed until it hit. I've read that Seattle is considered one of the most earthquake prone cities in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Yeah, San Diego is historically safer than both the Bay Area and Los Angeles. A very powerful earthquake on the southern San Andreas could easily be damaging for San Diego also. But science has discovered so many fault lines under the LA metro area that it has to be one of the highest risk areas on the West Coast. Seismologists didn't even know the previously-undiscovered fault line that cause the Northridge even existed until it hit. I've read that Seattle is considered one of the most earthquake prone cities in the nation.
The only part of California that is in a subduction zone is Humboldt and Del Norte counties.

You're right about Seattle. Actually it's in the same subduction zone I mentioned above, not to mention there are other faults in that area. The 2001 Nisqually quake was not on the subduction zone. Seattle is in fact more prone to quakes than San Diego.


YouTube - Seattle Quake

Now San Diego was smart when it built most stretches of most freeways. Most are on the ground or in man-made canyons designed for them. Compared to other cities, there aren't as many elevated ones. The most at risk is 805 when it crosses Mission Valley. They finished retrofitting that in the mid 90's however. By comparison, SD is really not in too bad of shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top