Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:59 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,246,232 times

Advertisements

I'm from the East coast, so this is all new to me. I'm sure there are some rules as to what to do when it comes to earthquakes. This wasn't particularly huge, but what if it was? I assume standing in the kitchen with a huge knife is probably not one of those things. I was cutting up a pineapple when it happened and had it been a stronger one, it would probably not have ended well! And given how the building shook, I'm positive a stronger earthquake would cause the structure to collapse. So are you supposed to go outside? Stand in the doorway? Something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:04 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,158,073 times
They say it's preferable to stand in a doorway. But I'm working in a building that all metal and glass, so I went outside. If I stood in a doorway here, I could have a metal rollup door fall on me!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:08 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,972,646 times
In a doorway or under a desk.

Edit: Or table, I was just having flashbacks to earthquake drills we did in Elementary School.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:10 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,582,222 times
Grab the nearest woman and enjoy the free ride.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:12 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,158,073 times
Under a desk or table.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:13 PM

4,526 posts, read 12,345,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
That is just SO WRONG!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:15 PM

16,572 posts, read 27,273,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
haha I was just about to say how appropriate that the title of this thread was by a member named "think first". Then again I like that answer.

Actually they say doorways and getting under tables really isn't such a good idea anymore. If heavy things fall on the table and the table can't support the weight and impact, guess where it's going?

If you can, get out of a building or structure. Remember, earthquakes don't kill people, the things people build kill people. Otherwise if you can't get out of a building, get in a corner. If you're on your bed, roll off. These areas create pockets when things collapse and this is where they find most survivors.

Also get away from windows.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,053,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
haha I was just about to say how appropriate that the title of this thread was by a member named "think first". Then again I like that answer.

Actually they say doorways and getting under tables really isn't such a good idea anymore. If heavy things fall on the table and the table can't support the weight and impact, guess where it's going?

If you can, get out of a building or structure. Remember, earthquakes don't kill people, the things people build kill people. Otherwise if you can't get out of a building, get in a corner. If you're on your bed, roll off. These areas create pockets when things collapse and this is where they find most survivors.

Also get away from windows.
yes, but outdoors is not always the best, either-ie, buildings and items/wires,poles, etc fall on you.
The doorway is still decent b/c theoretically the frame of a structure will still be standing, so it will not fall on you. It's a toss up-if you can find an open area outdoors, then this might work out for you.

Last edited by lrmsd; 04-04-2010 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-04-2010, 07:56 PM

989 posts, read 2,430,069 times
Ok what do you do if you are in a studio apartment on the 3rd floor so you don't really have any doorways and are on the 3rd floor??

I grabbed a pillow and lied down next to my couch. Is that my best bet??

Old 04-04-2010, 08:02 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,132,837 times
It depends.

If you're in a regular single-family house that's built more or less up to standards, the earthquake may make it non-livable in many ways, but the building is not going to suffer a total collapse aka "pancaking". The worst that can happen is that things will fall on your head. To protect against that, get under the table.

In a multistory building or some place that's not built to earthquake code (say, if you're spending time in Mexico), pancaking is a risk and you can protect from that by lying on the floor next to a bed or a table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego