Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:16 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is a chance for a bigger earthquake now along that fault line or along the san andreas fault that could cause a lot more damage to San Diego?

If that had been closer to SD I imagine we'd all be screwed so now I'm worried a bigger one will happen closer soon. Some guy on the news just said it was going to happen soon on San Andreas fault.

Anyone know what the risk is a large one anytime soon (like next few weeks)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
They've been saying the big one will hit cali for as long as I can remember. And yes, one day it will. Don't fall into the flawed logic of thinking that since one happened today, the big one is going to happen sooner.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
They've been saying the big one will hit cali for as long as I can remember. And yes, one day it will. Don't fall into the flawed logic of thinking that since one happened today, the big one is going to happen sooner.
News on Chanel 7 just stated that those in the know stated we can expect to get at least a 6.0 in the next weeks to come here in So.California? because of the Mexicali quake.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Cali is so big though. I guess I'm talking specifically about San Diego.

I thought it was fairly immune from a major earthquake.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Within the next 30 yrs the state of CA will be an island in Asia, and its residents will become prolific in producing offspring that look and talk exactly like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:50 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
If we get a big earthquake it won't be from the San Andreas fault since that runs through Imperial Valley. It will be from one of the local onshore fault lines or from a couple that are closeby offshore.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
If we get a big earthquake it won't be from the San Andreas fault since that runs through Imperial Valley. It will be from one of the local onshore fault lines or from a couple that are closeby offshore.

But one along san andreas fault could be big enough to cause a lot of damage in SD, no?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Cali is so big though. I guess I'm talking specifically about San Diego.

I thought it was fairly immune from a major earthquake.
No place in California is immune to earthquakes. Some places are just more prone than others. These are primarily:

Los Angeles Basin
San Francisco Bay Area
Imperial/Cochella Valley
Owens Valley

As far as one possibly triggering another, it's now begining to be accepted that they can. Remember the Big Bear and Landers quakes in 1992? It's suggested that one may have triggered the other (I forget which came first, they were 3 hours apart).

It also depends in the nature of the fault. It's been shown that earthquake pattern do occur along at least one fault; the Greater Anatolian Fault but that's not for us to worry about as that fault is in Turkey. They've also suggested that a quake on one can make another fault more unstable. This I don't know about but for those of us in San Diego, Orange and parts of LA county we should consider the Newport/Inglewood-Rose Canyon fault zone.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
But one along san andreas fault could be big enough to cause a lot of damage in SD, no?
In theory yes. The 1989 Loma Prieta quake was about 70 to 80 miles south of SF and Oakland and was a 7.1. If a quake about an 8 occurs say in El Centro, just 30 miles further by comparison that would be a real problem for SD as an 8 is about 1000 times more powerful than a 7.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
News on Chanel 7 just stated that those in the know stated we can expect to get at least a 6.0 in the next weeks to come here in So.California? because of the Mexicali quake.
They mean a 6.0 aftershock in the same area as the main quake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego