Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whenitwasthenavy View Post
we were stationed at the naval base down near San Diego back in 1981, it was expensive then and it still is. The biggest problem is you are so close to the boarder (no offense meant to anyone about this), so you have a high population of that ethnic group. Stay away from Daly city, Freemont and many of the places surrounding that. I would look for complexes where there are a lot of other military families living there. That is what we did and everyone kind of whatches out for everyone else when husbands are away etc. Plus it's great to have other military wives around as a good support structure, regardless of what branch they are in, many get deployed or sent TDY at some point and there you are alone or alone with the kids. I would stronly suggest, for those that have not, to go to college and get a career. I know it is hard when you are moving around so much, but my mom worked Civil Service for the Air force and could always find a job on the base where my father was going to be stationed at, so that is one idea. Another is getting into a health field as those jobs are always needed everywhere. Or if you already have a degree try and get on with a company that has many sister companies around the states and overseas as sometimes you can get transferred but stay with the same company. All areas have there good and bad parts, my suggestion is to try and go for a couple of days and look at some complexes and then go look at them at different time of the day and night. We moved into one that looked so nice during the day and the first night we lived there, there was a stabbing in the parking area just below our apartment. So looks can be deceiving and the rental agents are not that forthcoming with you about crime as they just want to get the units filled. Even though the commute might be a bit far, sometimes it is worth it if you want a safer place to live especially if you have children.

what?????????????? Uh....wrong forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whenitwasthenavy View Post
we were stationed at the naval base down near San Diego back in 1981, it was expensive then and it still is. The biggest problem is you are so close to the boarder (no offense meant to anyone about this), so you have a high population of that ethnic group. Stay away from Daly city, Freemont and many of the places surrounding that. I would look for complexes where there are a lot of other military families living there. That is what we did and everyone kind of whatches out for everyone else when husbands are away etc. Plus it's great to have other military wives around as a good support structure, regardless of what branch they are in, many get deployed or sent TDY at some point and there you are alone or alone with the kids. I would stronly suggest, for those that have not, to go to college and get a career. I know it is hard when you are moving around so much, but my mom worked Civil Service for the Air force and could always find a job on the base where my father was going to be stationed at, so that is one idea. Another is getting into a health field as those jobs are always needed everywhere. Or if you already have a degree try and get on with a company that has many sister companies around the states and overseas as sometimes you can get transferred but stay with the same company. All areas have there good and bad parts, my suggestion is to try and go for a couple of days and look at some complexes and then go look at them at different time of the day and night. We moved into one that looked so nice during the day and the first night we lived there, there was a stabbing in the parking area just below our apartment. So looks can be deceiving and the rental agents are not that forthcoming with you about crime as they just want to get the units filled. Even though the commute might be a bit far, sometimes it is worth it if you want a safer place to live especially if you have children.

Uhh, Fremont and Daly City are suburbs in the Bay Area, not San Diego.
Some of your other points are true, especially finding folks to commiserate with during the Spouses long deployments.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,676 times
Unhappy need to rent near Miramar that will accept pets

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]My son and his wife are being transferred to Miramar Marine Base in July. They are interested in renting a home that will allow pets. They have 2 cats and an outside dog about 45 pounds. Does anyone know of available properties that will rent for about 3 years with this may animals? They would hate to give up one but if that is necessary they will consider this. We have been told the base housing has restrictions for no more than 35 pounds.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I have sent emails today to property management companies but don't expect any response for a few days. Any help would be appreciated [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego