Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:11 AM

4 posts, read 15,731 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting stationed at miramar and we are very excited!! We are looking into rancho bernardo, poway and scripps ranch area so far... Any information on these areas would be great... Sd is soo big so its hard to narrow it down. Heres what were looking for...

Good schools
safe
rent around 18000-2000
close commute to miramar marine base
close to hospital (im a nurse) or medical center

any information would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 13,365 times
Small world! We too are headed to Miramar in July. A friend of ours lives in Rancho Bernardo, great place to live he says. That is where we are looking to rent. I have also heard good things about Scripps Ranch & Poway. All are suppose to have decent commute times to the air station. Poway Unified School District is supposed to be awesome. Good Luck on your move!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:24 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo84 View Post
My husband is getting stationed at miramar and we are very excited!! We are looking into rancho bernardo, poway and scripps ranch area so far... Any information on these areas would be great... Sd is soo big so its hard to narrow it down. Heres what were looking for...

Good schools
safe
rent around 18000-2000
close commute to miramar marine base
close to hospital (im a nurse) or medical center

any information would be great!!
If it weren't for the hospital/medical center, I'd say Monarch at Scripps Ranch. It's not ~too~ far, but it's not really close, either. Straight shot down the 15 to get to Miramar, from there maybe a 5-15 minute drive in good traffic conditions.

Just as a question, have you considered the military housing instead?

Old 04-16-2010, 05:27 PM

I have looked into base housing... but they said they are not sure if there will be any homes available at that time. So I am just trying to have a back up plan. Also, there are no schools on the base... so I figured I would look into living off base. The problem is... we have a rottweiller WHO is the sweetest dog in the world... and many apts have breed restrictions. What to do what to do AND... we too have to be there in July!!!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,323 times
Good luck with that one. You've got two choices: Settle for a not-so-nice apartment quite a bit away from Miramar that has no breed restrictions, or...make alternate arrangements for your pet during his tour of duty.

Neither are great options, but it is what it is. I don't know of any apartments up in the middle class-and-higher areas that don't have breed restrictions because of pits and rotts attacking people, generally. Apartments in areas like Pacific Beach and El Cajon are more forgiving, but of course, you're not dealing with the same standard of living as with up here. I would suggest just browsing ForRent.com and seeing what you come up with.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:51 AM

Ya I have figured thar out! Base housing doesn't have restrictions so I guess I will cross my fingers!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:47 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times
You also might want to check Craigslist while you're waiting. You never know what you'll find.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 12,934 times
Default Rental available

We are also military and have a home available minutes from MCAS Miramar - the rent is 1900 and it is a month to month because we do have it up for sale - of course tenant would get 30 day notice if it sells. It would be perfect if you want to get to know the areas prior to setting in down in a long term lease. If you want more info email me at [EMAIL="mreese0969@yahoo.com"]mreese0969@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] - it is available 7/1/10 and dogs are ok. The yard is large and the house is mostly tile and hardwood flooring, all appliances including a washer and dryer are included.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:25 AM

5 posts, read 12,934 times
We are military and have a 3/2 home available for month to month rental in Mira Mesa. The home is $1900 a month with $1500 deposit (less for military) - large yard, fruit trees, family neighborhood. 1300 sq ft, all appliances including washer and dryer. Available 7/1/10. The house is on market but tenant would be given 30 day notice if sale were to occur. Contact me at [EMAIL="mreese0969@yahoo.com"]mreese0969@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] if your interested.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,862 times
Default still not greatest area in CA

we were stationed at the naval base down near San Diego back in 1981, it was expensive then and it still is. The biggest problem is you are so close to the boarder (no offense meant to anyone about this), so you have a high population of that ethnic group. Stay away from Daly city, Freemont and many of the places surrounding that. I would look for complexes where there are a lot of other military families living there. That is what we did and everyone kind of whatches out for everyone else when husbands are away etc. Plus it's great to have other military wives around as a good support structure, regardless of what branch they are in, many get deployed or sent TDY at some point and there you are alone or alone with the kids. I would stronly suggest, for those that have not, to go to college and get a career. I know it is hard when you are moving around so much, but my mom worked Civil Service for the Air force and could always find a job on the base where my father was going to be stationed at, so that is one idea. Another is getting into a health field as those jobs are always needed everywhere. Or if you already have a degree try and get on with a company that has many sister companies around the states and overseas as sometimes you can get transferred but stay with the same company. All areas have there good and bad parts, my suggestion is to try and go for a couple of days and look at some complexes and then go look at them at different time of the day and night. We moved into one that looked so nice during the day and the first night we lived there, there was a stabbing in the parking area just below our apartment. So looks can be deceiving and the rental agents are not that forthcoming with you about crime as they just want to get the units filled. Even though the commute might be a bit far, sometimes it is worth it if you want a safer place to live especially if you have children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego