Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:50 PM

12 posts, read 78,289 times

Advertisements

I will be in SD this weekend to check out my future employer and to scope out neighborhoods.
Any suggestions of stuff to do and see while I am there. I will be staying DT, from Thurs-Sun. 31 year old single female.
Also what neighborhoods should I check out as a potential place to live. I currently live in Kitsilano in Vancouver, which is an expensive hippy beach type community. I love living close to the beach, and will be moving alone so somewhere safe, friendly, and with some nightlife to meet people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 03:57 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times
Hippy Beach in San Diego means Ocean Beach. However, getting out of Ocean beach and onto the freeways can sometimes be a chore.

Beach with nightlife means Pacific Beach. However, given that you are in your 30s, you would want to live in north Pacific Beach and may not actually like the nightlife in Pacific Beach as it skews younger.

But before running off to move to these locations,

Where is your employer located?
What else besides the beach and nightlife interests you?
What is your budget?
What amenities do you want in your building?
What other attributes do you want in your neighborhood?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:20 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,577,764 times
You'd probably like Crown Point in Pacific Beach. Here's a sample rental in that area:
Pacific Beach House (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/1676093684.html - broken link)

Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 AM

12 posts, read 78,289 times
Default A little more info

I will be working downtown and have a car, but would like no more than a half hour commute.
I also have 2 dogs(large) so I know that will be a bit of an issue but not impossible from what I can see.
I would like to pay no more that $1200 a month, for a decent 1 bedroom.
I love the outdoors, beach, parks, hiking but will also want to get out and meet people. Would love coffee shops, pubs and stores within walking distance.

I also noticed that there is no regulations on deposits. In Vancouver a landlord can only charge half a months rent for a damage deposit and half a months rent for a pet deposit. Is there a website that has all the rental rules and regulations on SD?

Will it be possible for me to get to some of these neighborhood via transit from downtown this weekend?
Ocean Beach
Pacific beach
La Jolla
Hillcrest

Old 04-06-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysmilee View Post
I will be working downtown and have a car, but would like no more than a half hour commute.
I also have 2 dogs(large) so I know that will be a bit of an issue but not impossible from what I can see.
I would like to pay no more that $1200 a month, for a decent 1 bedroom.
I love the outdoors, beach, parks, hiking but will also want to get out and meet people. Would love coffee shops, pubs and stores within walking distance.

I also noticed that there is no regulations on deposits. In Vancouver a landlord can only charge half a months rent for a damage deposit and half a months rent for a pet deposit. Is there a website that has all the rental rules and regulations on SD?

Will it be possible for me to get to some of these neighborhood via transit from downtown this weekend?
Ocean Beach
Pacific beach
La Jolla
Hillcrest
1. $1200 won't get you anything decent by the beach.

2. I believe the local deposit rules are as follows:
- up to 2mos rent for unfurnished
- up to 3mos rent for furnished
- pet deposits are purely negotiable
You'll find everthing you need in here: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf

3. You'll need a rental car to see all your desired neighborhoods in a weekend.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:31 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
1. $1200 won't get you anything decent by the beach.
Yes it will, easily. $1200 or less for a decent 1 br in the beach communities is pretty on par and standard.

Hillcrest is a short bus ride away from Downtown on Route 3.

Ocean Beach is about a 15-20 min bus ride from the Old Town Trolley Station on Route 35.

Pacific Beach and La Jolla are both reached by Route 30 that you can either catch in downtown or Old Town. PB is about a 25 minute bus ride from Old Town, La Jolla about 45 min.

Transit.511sd.com :: Maps & Timetables

You could easily do 2 neighborhoods one day and two the next day on the bus.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:04 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
the SD beach areas mentioned - PB and OB - will be like slums compared to Kitsilano. You will need to look at North County - Solana Beach, Del Mar, etc. to get something comparable

Old 04-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes it will, easily. $1200 or less for a decent 1 br in the beach communities is pretty on par and standard.

Hillcrest is a short bus ride away from Downtown on Route 3.

Ocean Beach is about a 15-20 min bus ride from the Old Town Trolley Station on Route 35.

Pacific Beach and La Jolla are both reached by Route 30 that you can either catch in downtown or Old Town. PB is about a 25 minute bus ride from Old Town, La Jolla about 45 min.

Transit.511sd.com :: Maps & Timetables

You could easily do 2 neighborhoods one day and two the next day on the bus.
Guess you're right on the $1200. You can even get a nice studio in La Jolla for that money: AVAILABLE April 15th No Showing until April 10th. Walk 2 the Beach!! (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/1677264870.html - broken link)

Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,742,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysmilee View Post
I will be in SD this weekend to check out my future employer and to scope out neighborhoods.
Any suggestions of stuff to do and see while I am there. I will be staying DT, from Thurs-Sun. 31 year old single female.
Also what neighborhoods should I check out as a potential place to live. I currently live in Kitsilano in Vancouver, which is an expensive hippy beach type community. I love living close to the beach, and will be moving alone so somewhere safe, friendly, and with some nightlife to meet people.
"Kits" is my favorite area of Vancouver! As already mentioned, Ocean Beach is probably most comparable to where you live now, but it's not nearly as nice. I think Vancouver has a similar vibe as San Diego, and you'll notice it right by looking at our skyline. Lots of Vancouver influence.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:04 AM

111 posts, read 461,109 times
Pacific Beach might be more your age group with that hip feel but it is not as affluent as Kits in Vancouver. La Jolla might be similar to Kits in terms of shops and people walking around but then La Jolla might be a bit more upscale than Kits. Get an idea of what these locations are like here:
San Diego Travel: Attractions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego