Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:57 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanz View Post
just saying it sucks knowing its friday and im gonna spend the whole weekend again at home..
Look at the bright side, you won't be getting into trouble with the law or spending money on $10 drinks. Two things that I know about 1st hand, which is why I don't go out on the weekends anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 06:07 PM

315 posts, read 820,996 times
lol i dont mind the $10 drinks and i wont get in trouble since i can just walk back home or take a taxi.. it would be ok to stay home this weekend but its the 3rd in a row.. i havent been out all april.. sucks.. used to be out 10x a week in panama.. what a big change.lol

Old 04-16-2010, 06:19 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
We all know how tough it is to pick up and move someplace where you don't know anyone. A friend who moved to Manhattan (one of the most exciting cities in the world) said she was lonely for the entire first year she lived there. Of course, things got better, but it's tough.

That said, I'm gonna have to agree that people in SD (SoCal, in general), are a flaky bunch. They don't mean to be, but they just are. Non-commital, super friendly in the beginning, fun at parties, etc. Problem is you gotta get invited to the parties, in the first place. Even harder for you is that you don't have to work or go to school.

That said, try joining a gym. And since you are young, check out FIT in East Village. Nice facility and it might be a good place to meet new people. According to some reviews, it's a nightclub with weights...lol Might be alot of douchebaggery, but you can weed them out.

Check out the reviews here - Fit - Downtown - San Diego, CA

If you are out wandering downtown, head over to Basic, East Village Tavern and Bowl or Funky Garcia's to see what's going on.

Either way, don't give up yet. You just got here!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:36 PM

problem is its weird going to bars, pubs, etc all alone.. i need a buddy

Old 04-16-2010, 06:59 PM

88 posts, read 206,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanz View Post
problem is its weird going to bars, pubs, etc all alone.. i need a buddy
like the other poster said, join a gym like "Fit". Then you can work out and keep fit and probably meet cute women there too.

I recently joined a gym to take swim lessons and work out. Hopefully, I'll meet people there too.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,634 times
Hang in there. It's early days yet. Do take a class--having your degree doesn't mean you can't audit something interesting. Join the gym and look for a small group activity. Book club at the library? Start a new hobby--painting class, golf, anything where beginners are because they tend to bond from the sheer ""being out of the comfort zone" anxiety. Bking club, bowling,---

Old 04-16-2010, 07:25 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Welcome to San Diego! We've been here for almost 2 years now and have found people to be very flaky here. Easy to meet them, hard to maintain those relationships. Most refuse to step out of their social circles!
I feel the same way here & i have been here for over 11 yrs. I know very few people. Im not really a people person.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:21 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Just about everyone I've ever made friends with in my entire life I met at either work or school (grade school through law school). To the OP, since you work from home running your own company and you've graduated from college, it's gonna be a tough road making true lasting friends, but I do wish you luck. It can be done.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:48 PM

yup i know its tough.. i didnt grow up here and i have no coworkers.. its def very very tough.. oh well... funny there is i know a guy in san diego before i even moved here.. ive done some work with him online, etc.. he told me to come down to san diego and he'll show me around...he is <1mile from me.. 3 weeks later im still yet to even meet him.. he disappeared.. people here are flaky

Old 04-16-2010, 08:50 PM

329 posts, read 1,047,316 times
no dude it's you.
i had no problem making great friends.
it's not the location, it's you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego