Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:01 AM

5 posts, read 7,565 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum!

I was just wondering whether you guys could assist me on the subject of job hunting. I have signed up to every possible employment website involving San Diego but was wondering what the recruitment agencies are like in San Diego or whether there are any at all...

If these agencies exist then are they any good? Would I have a better chance of getting a job if I visited San Diego and approached these agencies?

Thank you in advance for your help!

*I forgot to mention that I am a British citizen currently located in Spain. My field of work is online marketing.

Last edited by Dunroe; 04-22-2010 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: Additional information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 AM

284 posts, read 1,016,743 times
Of course it really depends on your field, but we found it was much easier to move here first and then get a job. My husband started applying for jobs well before moving and got minimal response. I think it's just less hassle for employers to hire locally, as there are so many looking for jobs right now. Also, San Diego is one of the most appealing cities in the US, which means there is no shortage of people trying to move here.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Will you have a visa to work in the US?

Old 04-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Hi hanna_house, thanks for the information. I feel like I'm in the same situation, I just thought that it's a risky move without securing a job beforehand.

I suppose I can check it out for 90 days and see what happens.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:32 PM

I am in need of a sponsor (or visa of some sort) which makes me think that I need to land a job with a decent company...

Old 04-22-2010, 02:27 PM

239 posts, read 723,754 times
You have to possess very specific and in short supply skills and experience for an employer in the US to sponsor you right now. It is a costly and lengthy process, so you'd better be worth it!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:46 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunroe View Post
Hi hanna_house, thanks for the information. I feel like I'm in the same situation, I just thought that it's a risky move without securing a job beforehand.
I understand your hesitance completely. In the beginning I never would have fathomed that I would pick up and move with no prospects or place to stay. Over time I resigned to the idea because I believed that this is where I wanted to be and was willing to take the risk, even if it meant having to work crappy jobs for a while. Thankfully my husband secured a pretty decent job a month after pulling into town. I can't say everyone will have it that easy, but if you save up enough money to live on for a few months and you're aggressive in your job search, you have a much better chance of making it work. All the best to you!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:47 PM

How costly is it on average? I can see plenty of relevant positions available online but it seems that they only wish to deal with local people as hanna_house mentioned.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:16 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Looks like about $5000-$6000 dollars:
How much does a sponsorship (work visa) cost for the employing company? (USA)? - Yahoo! Answers

If you want to make yourself more marketable, I guess you could offer to help pay those fees.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:36 PM

239 posts, read 723,754 times
It's not just about the cost, but also about meeting the visa requirements, which include advertising the position for a certain length of time and not finding suitable legal US residents for it. I am not trying to discourage you, by all means do try, you'll never know unless you do, I just want you to have a realistic picture of what the odds are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: