Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:37 AM

15 posts, read 56,834 times

Advertisements

People moving from weather-restricting areas where you have to be indoors a lot, don't realize that since we don't spend a lot of time indoors, we don't need as much indoor space. You get less square footage for your money here in San Diego, yes, but you don't need as much. I sell real estate. When I show property to people coming from areas where they can afford a lot bigger homes, I know the learning curve will be greater. Once they can wrap their minds around a much better and healthier, outdoor lifestyle, they can give up thinking they need so much in terms of real estate and then have no problem getting something smaller but comfortable where they want to live. If you are making upwards of $100,000, you can definitely afford to live here if you want to. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 09:35 AM

25 posts, read 119,751 times
For the same reasons I'm trying to move to Cali... The great weather, the ocean, the green, and to get away from the crap you probably grew up in and don't like anymore!

Old 07-27-2007, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,225 times
What Can I say I always look for another place to live other than whre I am at.
I think is the grass is greener in the other side syndrome.
At 27 yeras you have a long life ahead of you I think is good to look at other places. Just remeber, from the wise the perception of a better opportunity is a desire to look outward for answers. Sometimes the answers come from with in. But at your ages it really does not matter as you can afford to leran from any mistakes you might make.
You might want to be very sepcific as to what you are looking for that you don't have.
Is it that the job has gotten old an dyou want to change places experiance the sense of newness in your life?
If that is it take a vacation first to San |Diego and check out the scene from up close than return to your home and study the situation; Does it trully meet some of your expectations?

Old 07-27-2007, 04:02 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,372,758 times
The weather is MUCH better than Boise. It is more "with it" and "current" than Boise. If you like to surf, obviously it will be an improvement. It is true you don't need as much indoor space. I don't really get the huge home thing unless you live in a crummy weather area where you need indoor space for your kids during the winter. Otherwise it is just a big place you go to sleep. Personally I try to get out of my house on the weekends.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:44 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,936,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
But it seems as if people are fleeing the area to come to Boise. (and other areas)
I would say people across the board are moving from areas with high population densities to areas that are less populated. Square footage is expensive. Americans think big: They want the big house, fancy ride, SUV, boat, picket fence, 2.5 kids, dog & cat. Less population = less demand = more square footage = more money for their material wants = living their dream.

Americans think big, want to live big and do not consider a $350K 2br condo affordable because in South Dakota you can buy a small size manner for $300K. Got to start small, build equity and move up. I see that the peolpe who do have equity are hesitant to move closer to the city center as they got less house.

Cities offer amenities: Culture, a variety of great restraurants and food, musuems, theatres, orchestras, airports, bus stations, train stations, mass transit, convenience (i love walking to work and will never spend 3 hours a day sitting in rush hour again), infrastructure, jobs, opportunity, diversity, boutiques, galleries, architecture, conventions, sport teams, and various city sponsored events. You pay a premium for these things.

Additionally, San Diego has: a great climate, little rain, no mosquitoes, the beach, the mountains, the bay, marinas, fishing, crabbing, kayaking, surfing, sailing, water sports, and is the gateway to Mexico, the Baja and the American SouthWest. You're paying for that too.

It's all about preferences. Peas or carrots, brah, peas or carrots. Some like the peas and some like the carrots. Me? Love this city and am on my way...

Old 07-31-2007, 08:35 AM

640 posts, read 3,067,088 times
Why not rent your house in Boise for a year or two while you rent in SD? A lot of people discover they change their minds after a big move when the novelty wears off. If you do like SD and decide to stay, you'll be able to take your time in finding the best town to buy down the road and if the market in Boise is hot you'll still continue to grow that investment and sell it quickly when you're ready. Find a good management company to take care of your property in Boise if you do decide to do that.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:15 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,471,067 times
The weather here is awesome, at least where I live.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:11 PM

74 posts, read 369,906 times
It is expensive here, it will take both you and your wife working full time to really make it here that is being able to afford a house. You most likely will start in a condo or town house. Right now the housing market is in a slump and it probably will take several years for any housing you buy to apreciate. So if you do move here and buy a house and decide you don't liIke San Diego well you're gonna be stuck for about 5 years I moved here when I was in my 20's and really enjoyed it. Its great place for beach sports, hiking, mountain biking and the weather is pretty ideal. Now in my 50's its time to think about going. someplace cheaper.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:09 AM

4 posts, read 13,750 times
I've been to Boise, and it's a beautiful place. We have friends in Twin Falls, and my ex's cousins live in Caldwell.

If you're planning on moving to the San Diego area, I agree with everyone who says it's going to cost an arm and a leg to buy a home. $550,000 will get you a very small 3 bdr, 2 bath home with a tiny yard in a relatively low-crime area and so-so schools. Crime levels and school quality vary a lot by neighborhood.

If you like mild winters and warm, dry summers you'll love it here. But don't expect the stereotypical "you can go swimming every day" that most people believe when they think of California. Winter averages are in the high 60's and we do have hot weather, mostly in September. We're in the middle of a drought and water is expensive. So are energy costs.

You will not find many places (if any) with a small-town atmosphere. Gas stations and fast food are on every corner. Once you become a resident, community colleges are very inexpensive. There's lots to do- the beach, the desert and mountains are all close by. San Diego has theater, etc.

MSN.com used to have this really sweet page for comparing salaries in different cities- if you make xxx in City A, what would have to make in City B to have the same lifestyle? I think they took it down because I haven't seen it for at least a year, but it was a great tool to find out if you can afford to live here.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 20,479 times
Just a note: We moved from Santa Barbara in summer 2005 to North Carolina and we are now ... guess what... looking at moving back to CA (coastal, anywhere)
Yes it is true that we owned just a 1400 sq ft 3bd/2.5ba house with a small lot and that now we own a 2700sqft 4bd/2.5ba on 0.7 acres.
However, in CA, you can use the outside as another room - almost. Well, that's what we used to do with coverings during the winter rainy days.
Here, it is okay in terms of weather but I would change:
- the hot and humid
- the trees/landscape. I miss the greater variety of trees in CA and mostly the nice oak trees in those golden hills in the summer. You endup loving that yellow/golden grass because your brain will register that with summer and sun and no rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego