Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:51 PM

6 posts, read 15,827 times

Advertisements

From $900 for 1 bedroom. Just about anywhere. Rentals are cheaper this year than last.
2 Bedrooms can be found for $1100. San Diego is spread out. The most expensive will be downtown, beaches, and yeah, happy hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,700 times
I'm just gonna throw this out: If you guys are bangin' hot w/ good builds, you can get work within a few days as event / drink promoters, ( Cap. Morgan, Efin Vodka etc.) making pretty good money evenings/ weekends. They will have you roam around Downtown, PB, North Park and go into the clubs and such. If you are pudgy/ average looking, um no.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:58 PM

129 posts, read 473,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartxbeattt View Post
My 2 friends and i are 20 and we are planning on moving to San Diego next year from Nebraska. We are planning to gain residency and after the year go to school there. We have our dreams but not very much money and we were wondering where to move to in San Diego. Any suggestions?

A friend of mine just bought a mobile home for only 16K.

Her rent is about 475 not including utilities.

Look into mobile homes as a cheaper living situation.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:50 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Gone are the days of moving here first, and finding odd jobs to pay the bills. There are few odd jobs anymore.
Well, we did just that in 2008. Didn't know a soul, just saved some money, packed up a few belongings and headed West. Of course this was not without some careful planning ahead of time. With two people working together you should be able to do it.

My suggestion is to save up a minimum of 3 months living expenses and line up temporary housing, preferably a place with a month to month lease. Even if that means you have to start out by sharing a studio or room, you will be glad to know you have some security.

Once you get on your feet I would say you should be able to find a 2 or 3 bedroom for $1200-$1500 in some areas, you just have to search around like anything else. That may seem steep compared to rent in Nebraska, but keep in mind that you usually pay less in utilities here, which helps offset the cost a little. All the best to you!

Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 PM

216 posts, read 668,217 times
Agree with the last post. Plan your move. As she said, have at least 3 months of savings; preferably more. You obviously know that your cost of living will be higher, but wages overall, will be too.

Expect to live in a much smaller space and to possibly commute much further to work.

Start researching companies that have operations in and around San Diego. Keep in mind that the weather is better and you'll spend less time indoors. You don't need as much indoor space there.

Make sure that your car(s) are working well and as the previous poster said, try to not commit to a lengthy lease initially. Once you arrive, drive around and research areas. Look at the areas and find a place that you'd like to live in and that you can afford.

I believe that with good planning and frugality, you can do this.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:39 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegogolfer View Post
A friend of mine just bought a mobile home for only 16K.

Her rent is about 475 not including utilities.

Look into mobile homes as a cheaper living situation.
Mobile homes are normally not rented out, due to park management rules. I've seen them as low as $29K, but not $16K, and never with space rent of $475. I've only seen space rent as low as $700 per month. The mobile homes that I see that are cheap are in the Bayview Heights Mobile Home Park. I think it's in City Heights, since the zip is 92105

Old 05-03-2010, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 20,803 times
Hey!
No need to loose hope. You can always make it. Brace yourself for any standard of living. The key in your case is the type of education you get. Aim very high but be very specific about the school you are going to and what is needed to get in. For example if you are going for med school you may want to prepare for MCAT now. If you haven't finished college yet I suggest you finish your college first. It would be very easy for you to survive if you are in some profession. Being 20 is no guarantee that you would make it. Being fully committed (as you in some respect are right now) is.. Seek your advice from successful self made people. I wish you best of luck!

Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 16,117 times
Thank you to everyone who tried to help i appreciate it. What i forgot to mention is my friends and i are moving no matter what. I was only trying to find the cheapest living around. Also one of my friends and i are going to school up in Moorpark after we live in San Diego for a year to gain residency. The schooling there is only $2500 + books and everything which i know will be a lot, but im planning on saving the school money before we move.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Just find yourself a cheap studio in City Heights, and all three of you can live in it. That way you won't have to make much money, if you can even find a job.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:58 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
You can camp in the wooded areas with the illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego