Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:36 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,733,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
No. No, it really happened.

Hmm. Let me re-read my posting.

No, I don't find that I said "all" smokers in SD are rude. I provided a post in rebuttal to the San Diego thread a while ago where smokers united to disclaim the notion that smokers in general have rude tendencies. "all" is a bit reaching, since my post did not say that. Then again, as I like to say, selective reading is vintage CD.

• Given that I'm in a place where there are open windows for the cashiers, I would expect people to have courtesy enough not to blow smoke directly into the window. In fact, I would expect that cigarettes would be extinguished in such a place.
  • Given that it's an open street and we have laws against littering, I would expect lit cigarette butts not to be thrown in the drive thru. Because of course, unlike what Eddie Kang Jr. might say, the world is NOT your ashtray.
  • Given that not everyone around a person would care for such a habit, it stands to reason that one would be courteous enough not to practice said habit around them for understanding that it might set off asthma (potentially fatal, mind), stinks up clothes, smells horrible, and not conducive to fresh air.
  • Given that common courtesy is defined in the dictionary, one would not expect another person to literally blow smoke in the cashier's face repeatedly.
That's what I expect. It amazes me how tolerant people really are of this behavior yet if it happened to them they'd be throwing torches.
I'm really not trying to dismiss your story, revelated. I just found it amusing that you had to tell us of this isolated incident (not that it couldn't happened anywhere else or again, for that matter). Trust me, cigarette smoke makes me sick and what happened to you would tick me off, too. It's just that the title of your thread is so generalizing that I had to respond. I know a few people who smoke and they are very respectful of others. The kicker is that they all know it's a disgusting habit, but keep doing it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 03:05 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
I have been pushing for a deposit on cigarette butts, a dollar each should be right. That will clean up all the butts in front of my house. Worked back in the 60's with pop bottles, biggest memory of mine of the 60's is broken glass on the streets and sidewalks.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:14 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,733,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I have been pushing for a deposit on cigarette butts, a dollar each should be right. That will clean up all the butts in front of my house. Worked back in the 60's with pop bottles, biggest memory of mine of the 60's is broken glass on the streets and sidewalks.
What a great idea! A dollar each, though? Heck, I'd quit my job for that...LOL Can cigarette butts be recycled? Are they made of paper? I'm not a smoker, so I don't know.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:44 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,987,964 times
Not to take away the steam from your story of inconsiderate smokers revelated, but last week I was walking around my condo complex and a smoker who was hanging out on his second floor balcony hocked a yellow, juicy, phlegm filled loogey as I was walking underneath his porch. Missed me by about a foot...I felt the mist.

Point is, there are plenty of inconsiderate people no matter where you go, no matter where you live.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:24 AM

231 posts, read 639,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I love sweeping generalizations.
LOL, seriously!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:29 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
I wouldn't let one person get to you this much, crap like this happens every now and then. Also it's a bit unreasonable to generalize a region of 3+ million people based on the actions of one person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
It amazes me how tolerant people really are of this behavior yet if it happened to them they'd be throwing torches.
I honestly feel this is a problem in CA in general and especially San Diego. People are a little too tolerant, nice and laid back and don't like confrontation here it seems so even though someone might do something that is rude, a lot of people won't say anything and will move on. I respect and admire that somewhat how people here don't let things bug them as much as elsewhere but at the same time some rude people get away with crap here too much. I don't put up with people's BS as much as others here so I've found myself getting into shouting matches with inconsiderate, rude people on occasion. For me, it feels great to give a-holes a piece of my mind.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:28 AM

11 posts, read 30,153 times
I’d like to thank the OP for bringing this to everyone’s notice. We all notice disgusting behavior all the time but usually forget about it as it doesn’t concern us. Posts like these are bound to affect at least someone, who might think twice next time.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:31 AM

108 posts, read 198,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I love sweeping generalizations.
me too. Makes me just want to tar everyone with the same brush.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:44 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,146 times
There's inconsiderate, rude people everywhere. San Diego is in my experience better than the other places I've lived in that matter, to be honest. But in short...I don't think it's anything to do with people here being "better" or "worse" than elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: