Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Oh in general YES it is. I'm reminded of how much I hate their incompetence every time I hit a pothole, which is quite often.
Nope, never did I once say that in this thread and in another thread I expressed my reservations for it since I am latino. I am not 100% against it but don't really support it either. It isn't a law that really stops illegal immigration either. I just think these boycotts by SF and LA and now SD's resolution are pointless and could easily backfire. It's so arrogant to think CA can control what other states do like this. the ego's of some of our politicians is disgusting.
Here's where I disagree with you. The city council of Los Angeles numbers 15 and San Diego has 7 city council members, I think. Don't know how many sit on the San Francisco city council. These are all elected representatives of each respective city. What I find "disgusting" is the knee-jerk response to call all of our mayors, city councils, governor, etc. as "egos" just because you do not agree with the majority of your city's elected officials! As others have pointed out, people seem to view all politicians as bums but continue to vote them into office at every election.

The people of California are speaking to Arizona. We have nothing to fear from any backlash over a state that even wouldn't recognize Martin Luther King until they lost the Super Bowl because of their racism. They are not the kind of people who are in control of California. Arizona is on the receiving end. They do not call the shots for California. If California had not reacted as is has and continues to do, the backlash would be against us.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:23 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
. What I find "disgusting" is the knee-jerk response to call all of our mayors, city councils, governor, etc. as "egos" just because you do not agree with the majority of your city's elected officials!
well it's not really a knee jerk response b/c I've felt this way about some of these politicians for awhile.
Quote:
As others have pointed out, people seem to view all politicians as bums but continue to vote them into office at every election.
Ah the beauty of gerrymandering at work there! Also have you seen our usual choices for candidates? haha
Quote:
The people of California are speaking to Arizona.
No they aren't, politicians and activists are.
Quote:
They are not the kind of people who are in control of California. Arizona is on the receiving end. They do not call the shots for California.
No kidding, they're a different state, why would they? Maybe CA ought to realize that too.
Quote:
If California had not reacted as is has and continues to do, the backlash would be against us.
Backlash for what?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
sav858 I just think these boycotts by SF and LA and now SD's resolution are pointless and could easily backfire.
You are the one that mentioned how things "could easily backfire." So what did you mean? My point is that the people of California expect our elected representatives to speak for us and act in a way that reflects the will of most Californians. The cities have spoken. On Jay Leno's show our governor called the whole situation in Arizona a "mess" and "first of all, let me just say that I, as governor here, I would never do that in California." The state legislature is working on a bill to boycott Arizona [no conferences or state business & encourage nationwide action against Arizona]. These statements and measures are meant to influence Arizona to reconsider & rewrite the law.

I cannot see any backlash against California and as I mentioned before, if our government officials had stayed quiet there would have been violent demonstrations over the weekend. On Sunday, the International Workers march against anti-immigrants in Santa Cruz turned violent http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_14998618

Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
You are the one that mentioned how things "could easily backfire." So what did you mean?
CA could experiance a loss of business b/c of it's actions. It's already viewed as an illegal immigrant haven by many.
Quote:
My point is that the people of California expect our elected representatives to speak for us and act in a way that reflects the will of most Californians.
Of course, that is what all people essentially expect of their politicians, doesn't mean that is how it always works though.
Quote:
The cities have spoken.
Maybe these cities ought to worry about fixing their multitude of problems before delving into national immigration policy and trying to tell other states what to do.
Quote:
On Jay Leno's show our governor called the whole situation in Arizona a "mess" and "first of all, let me just say that I, as governor here, I would never do that in California." The state legislature is working on a bill to boycott Arizona [no conferences or state business & encourage nationwide action against Arizona]. These statements and measures are meant to influence Arizona to reconsider & rewrite the law.
Ok, so what is your point? I don't agree with these politicians trying to meddle in the business of AZ and have already stated that.
Quote:
I cannot see any backlash against California and as I mentioned before, if our government officials had stayed quiet there would have been violent demonstrations over the weekend. On Sunday, the International Workers march against anti-immigrants in Santa Cruz turned violent Riot breaks out in downtown Santa Cruz; windows broken on dozens of businesses, porch of cafe set on fire - Santa Cruz Sentinel
It's Santa Cruz, who cares? Just a bunch of angry hippies anyways.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 AM

353 posts, read 656,178 times
Quote:
You are the one that mentioned how things "could easily backfire." So what did you mean? My point is that the people of California expect our elected representatives to speak for us and act in a way that reflects the will of most Californians. The cities have spoken. On Jay Leno's show our governor called the whole situation in Arizona a "mess" and "first of all, let me just say that I, as governor here, I would never do that in California." The state legislature is working on a bill to boycott Arizona [no conferences or state business & encourage nationwide action against Arizona]. These statements and measures are meant to influence Arizona to reconsider & rewrite the law.

I cannot see any backlash against California and as I mentioned before, if our government officials had stayed quiet there would have been violent demonstrations over the weekend. On Sunday, the International Workers march against anti-immigrants in Santa Cruz turned violent Riot breaks out in downtown Santa Cruz; windows broken on dozens of businesses, porch of cafe set on fire - Santa Cruz Sentinel
As an AZ resident I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone right now. We have become a national pariah and a laughingstock. Even if the law is well intentioned it is poorly written and open to interpretation. It saddens me to think how we are thought of right now but if I were on the outside looking in I might feel the same way. AZ in reality is an open tolerant place with a strong Latino identity. I truly believe that most of the people that support the law believe it precludes racial profiling although I disagree. I think most people nationally are reading into it that 65-70 percent of Arizonans are OK with racial profiling. Nothing could be further from the truth. We are shooting ourselves in the foot with one thing we do really well which is poor legislation. My family is from SoCal and they love visiting here in Scottsdale but some are concerned about this law, so I care a great deal about our image. I don't understand the bunker mentality many have here. They say they don't care about boycotts. Well, where I live tourism is essential to the economy so I care a great deal. Something needs to be done to overturn or completely overhaul this bad piece of legislation which was signed by our unelected governor. The amendment signed by her earlier still leaves more questions than answers. The image we are giving ourselves as a bunch of intolerant backwater racists is tearing me apart because it just isn't us. We need to address the immigration issue but this just isn't going to help.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Duh! It's the other way around. Californians are planning to boycott Arizona [a state the fraction the size & revenue of California].
you are certainly missing the point as you sometimes do; Ca boycotting will result in AZ doing the same thing to California..Many living in AZ do like to hop over to the beach areas especially in the summer months..that is the point many of us are trying to make to you.

Nita

Old 05-04-2010, 12:37 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are certainly missing the point as you sometimes do; Ca boycotting will result in AZ doing the same thing to California..Many living in AZ do like to hop over to the beach areas especially in the summer months..that is the point many of us are trying to make to you.

Nita
Actually, I think we all got your point about Cali a long time ago!

Apparently you don't get that California is still the most populous state in the United States (while AZ ranks number 15). So in any of these sorts of "numbers battles", the math (even in AR) always winds up the same....

Old 05-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
As an AZ resident I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone right now. We have become a national pariah and a laughingstock. Even if the law is well intentioned it is poorly written and open to interpretation. It saddens me to think how we are thought of right now but if I were on the outside looking in I might feel the same way. AZ in reality is an open tolerant place with a strong Latino identity. I truly believe that most of the people that support the law believe it precludes racial profiling although I disagree. I think most people nationally are reading into it that 65-70 percent of Arizonans are OK with racial profiling. Nothing could be further from the truth. We are shooting ourselves in the foot with one thing we do really well which is poor legislation. My family is from SoCal and they love visiting here in Scottsdale but some are concerned about this law, so I care a great deal about our image. I don't understand the bunker mentality many have here. They say they don't care about boycotts. Well, where I live tourism is essential to the economy so I care a great deal. Something needs to be done to overturn or completely overhaul this bad piece of legislation which was signed by our unelected governor. The amendment signed by her earlier still leaves more questions than answers. The image we are giving ourselves as a bunch of intolerant backwater racists is tearing me apart because it just isn't us. We need to address the immigration issue but this just isn't going to help.
Well stated, LAX-PHX and I think the people of Arizona will agree with you as soon as revenue is effectively crippled by a boycott. There are very few states who have been boycotted [I can only remember South Carolina flying the Confederate flag atop the capitol & that boycott also hurt Black businesses]. Arizona will suffer during a time when all states are hurting fiscally. To be honest, the typical Californian will likely keep vacation plans to the Grand Canyon\ Petrified Forest\ Sedona. And if people have relatives in Arizona, I'm sure these visits will continue. But Phoexnix, in particular is a favorite convention locale during winter\ spring. Boycotts of sport's team will also create significant headaches for Arizona as well as the NBA\ MLB including moving training facilities out of state.

Hopefully these things won't happen but the stigma is very negative esp w/ Latino people like myself.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
1. It is astounding how many people have no problem trashing the constitution to solve a particular problem.
2. According to Arizona law, every person will have to carry proof that they are in this country legally.

3. This has never been required of any American aside from free negros prior to 1865.

4. This makes it a clear violation of the fourth amendment.

5. Solving the illegal immigration problem is certainly worthwhile, but not at the expense of our Constitutional protections.

6. The issue with the AZ law is not the enforcement of anti illegal laws, but it is with the burden of proof now required of every legal resident.

7. Guilty until proven innocent, is forbidden by our legal system.

I find it astounding that those who loudly and vocally support our Constitution are willing to trash it to achieve a political goal.

It reminds me of HL Mencken's observation that "Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel".
Well said Clarks, well said

Old 05-04-2010, 02:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Actually, I think we all got your point about Cali a long time ago!

Apparently you don't get that California is still the most populous state in the United States (while AZ ranks number 15). So in any of these sorts of "numbers battles", the math (even in AR) always winds up the same....
I am very much aware of where these states rank in population. I am also aware of the pros and cons of most states. If you just read by appraisal of Ca after I visited last a few weeks ago, you might be able to open your eyes to where I am coming from, but either you choose to ignore what I said or you didn't bother to read it..I really don't give a darn either way.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego