Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:04 PM

69 posts, read 226,495 times

Advertisements

If you had a choice between these places, which one would you pick for a SFH? Pros and Cons? Are there other neighborhoods that you would pick over these for a comparable price range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 03:08 PM

20 posts, read 48,492 times
Hi aheadoffthecurve,
PQ is adjacent to Scripps Ranch. I don't think Clairemont is in same page as the other. I live in PQ and is the best for our family. Our kids go to Poway School district, great schools, great test scores. Plenty of activities, rec/club team sports. 15 minutes from Torrey Pine State Park/beach. Detached home prices starts @ five hund. thousand and up. Home prices are a little high but less than Carmel Valley area. Lets put it this way, it is a family oriented one. If you are single, this may not be what you are looking for unless you are planning to start a family. If you have a family then this is a safe place for you. As For Scripps, newer homes have higher prices and it is not much diff. than PQ. Same kinna family where moms/dads drive their kids from one sport to the next! Yah, lots of soccer moms here!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:27 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Depends on your taste, really. I say Scripps, but that's an expensive choice to be sure.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:44 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
I really like Scripps Ranch (newer homes), have lived in Penasquitos (good home prices & schools), but bought a home in Clairemont (Bay Ho area). My wife wanted to be closer to the coast with easier access to downtown and the airport. Clairemont is hard to beat for its central location. Schools are another story. My neighbors send their kids to University City, La Jolla, and private schools.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:26 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Scripps Ranch is the most upscale, expensive, some very exclusive homes
Rancho Penasquitos is a bit behind with more of tract feel but still upper-middle class
Clairemont is well behind both with a mix of middle class and run-down.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,731 times
Default hi

hi my name is neo am a loving,caring And God fearing man am single am looking for a long lasting relationship to talk better add me on your yahoomenssager mine is : [email]endersonleo@yahoo.com[/email] i will be hoping to hear from you

Old 05-08-2010, 11:09 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
I live in PQ and have lived in Clairemont (Bay Ho). I loved Clairemont, but there are a lot of run down areas. It's nice because it is literally 15 minutes to get anywhere from Clairemont. There are tons of restaurants and shopping in the area as well. It's pretty diverse there as well.

PQ is a lot more family oriented and a lot quieter. If you're single and like to go out, PQ may not be a good choice. There are a few small shopping centers/restaurants in the area, but the closest "real" shopping center is either the large one in Carmel Mountain or a little south in Mira Mesa. OneStep is right in that there are a lot of soccer moms, baseball dads. I think I read somewhere (maybe on C-D)that PQ may have at one time had one of the largest little leagues in the country. Also, PQ isn't as diverse IMO, it's mostly white and Filipino, with the occasional Mexican sprinkled in.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:37 PM

69 posts, read 226,495 times
Thanks for the responses....I noticed that the suburban area right above Clairemont before the mall, right above the 52 (University City?), looks significantly better, but, of course, is more expensive. It sure is a trade off between quiet suburbia with newer houses vs slightly less quiet suburbia that is centrally located near everything. I'm on the young side so its a decision that I'll have to mull over. Those views near scripps/poway sure are nice, but the weather probably cant be beat near Clairemont/UTC.

Seems like these 3 neighborhoods are the main ones that fall in this price range -- starting circa 500k.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:04 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
University City (north of 52) is not considered part of Clairemont. It's decidedly more upscale with larger homes and better schools. In the 500k range you won't get much in that area or Scripps Ranch.

500k in Clairemont will go farther than in RP, although the home in RP will be larger it will likely not be updated and the older Clairemont homes often age better than the 70's and 80's era RP homes.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:39 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
500k in Clairemont will go farther than in RP
Actually, it will not. Median $/sf of all active listings on Redfin is currently 307 in PQ and 326 in Clairemont. At the present time, houses in Clairemont are definitely more expensive than comparable houses in PQ, despite the abysmal high school rating. (My guess is, many Clairemont buyers either don't care about school ratings, or rate short commute above good schools.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: