Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitup View Post
Not that it matters, but just out of curiosity ...

If you surveyed 100 random "rich" people, and they had to choose between the cities mentioned, do you really disagree that more people would choose SD vs. the other cities?
Given that your "survey" is essentially a fantasy contrivance designed to support your personal bias, I would say it's a dead lock they would pick San Diego.

Generally speaking, most people who are happy living where they live... are happy living there. Since only a few million people actually live in San Diego I'm going to go out on a limb and venture to guess that the majority of people not living in San Diego actually are happy where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 PM

76 posts, read 314,886 times
Quote:
go out on a limb and venture to guess that the majority of people not living in San Diego actually are happy where they are
That's definitely on a limb all right. Just because someone lives somewhere doesn't mean they love it there. I lived in Texas for awhile and I can't tell you how many people I met that wished they had the ability to move somewhere else. Texas has the highest influx of new residents and it's not because people think it's the best place to live I can tell you that much. Most people move there because the cost of living is so low, and they accept it's shortcomings because they have no choice.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
That's definitely on a limb all right. Just because someone lives somewhere doesn't mean they love it there. I lived in Texas for awhile and I can't tell you how many people I met that wished they had the ability to move somewhere else. Texas has the highest influx of new residents and it's not because people think it's the best place to live (money aside) I can tell you that much.
Given that there are several hundred million people in this country, it's impressive to see that you can speak so succinctly for so many of them.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 PM

76 posts, read 314,886 times
The title of this thread is SD vs. Denver. I simply stated my opinion that given a choice, and ignoring the cost of living, most people would prefer to live in SD over Denver for reasons mentioned in this thread. That is my opinion. If all you're going to do is post one liners that say nothing, this is pointless.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
The title of this thread is SD vs. Denver. I simply stated my opinion that given a choice, and ignoring the cost of living, most people would prefer to live in SD over Denver for reasons mentioned in this thread. That is my opinion. If all you're going to do is post one liners that say nothing, this is pointless.
Since almost no one can ignore the cost of living, you are right about it being pointless. Re-read the OP (he says he loves Denver) and ask if your posts are really offering anything to this discussion.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:56 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Well, its obvious different people will have different opinions and tastes for whats best. And thats perfectly normal and natural.

Getting back to the original poster who is in his 20s and not feeling like Denver is the city for him long term I say go out and explore! I mean regardless of what I think, Sass, Limitup, etc... why not give it a go. Now is the best time to see for yourself. Bottom line is there is no one right answer.

You are on an SD forum so there will be a bias toward SD. And there is nothing wrong with that. If anything I have found that most San Diegans pride themselves with all their city has to offer. Its not usually until they move out that they complain about it.

My wife is from San Diego and we have family in both places SD & Denver. Her sister moved from SD to Denver and loves it there. But thats her and her family. We moved to Colorado Springs and eventually moved back to CA. We did think of moving to Denver to be closer to Rocky Mountain National Park because we love the outdoors and that park. But ultimately there were too many things that weighed in California's favor for us to stay in CO long term.

The things we liked about living in CO:
* Affordable living - thats one of the biggest pluses
* Solid economy - at least for what I do in high tech
* Rocky Mountains - of course they are gorgeous and we love the outdoors, hiking, skiing, photography, etc..
* Fall Colors - they are beautiful

Things we disliked:
* Living a mile+ high - the sun is much more intense and unbearable at times
* Lack of moisture in the air - dry and cracking skin is very common, dry, red, irritated eyes made worse by the overly intense sun. Day after day it wears on you.
* Long snow season and cold - I don't care what ppl say it gets cold in Denver and CS. I mean really cold. And even when the sun comes out it can be way below freezing and windy! I had never experienced 5 degrees and sunny until moving there. For us this was the biggest Myth, that the weather is basically mild with some snow here and there. That BS, the weather is extreme. From killer lighting storms in the Spring and Summer to Blizzards in the Winter. And high in the Rockies where I enjoy going the most its much more severe than the mile high city.
* During the long drawn out snow season you can do very little in the mountains because of the deep, deep snow besides skiing. And even then it is very cold. And snow season can start as early as Sept and last until May. If you want to go hiking forget about it. The trails and lakes are buried. So many ppl hibernate for the extended Winter. Go to work, the store, the gym, then home. Forget going mtn, biking, jogging, hiking, etc... It too darn cold and icey. Even if Denver warms to the 50s some days the Rockies are much colder.
* Shoveling snow
* Brown, dry, barren ground for most of the year. Lack of green.
* Land Locked - in the middle of nowhere with very limited cultural experiences such as the food. No access to large international cities.
* No access to the coast whatsoever - the killer for me. I love the sea and I felt trapped in the middle of the country by land.
* Homogeneity - no real cultural experiences like CA. If you have 1 or 2 asian, black or hispanic ppl working with you it will be the exception.
* Big box USA - very little individual creativity and much more middle Americana.
* Driving to work wearing gloves and seeing one's breath for many, many days during snow/cold season. Driving through ice, snow, hail, lighting storms. Cracked windshields extemely common. Watching cars spin out all around you on the black ice. Scraping the windshield.

Here was a nice little family hike we took in mid September that turned into miserable time for all parties invloved including Grandma who came out to visit CO in the Fall. As a nature photographer I was the only one enjoying this bittery cold, wet hike in RMNP. But I'm a glutten for punshment. I would shoot mid Winter when it got down to 0 and I could no longer feel my hands and feet. Kids on the other hand tend to have a natural aversion to pain. LOL

That was our experience. Everyone will see it a little differently. So why not experience life a little more yourself while still young? If not you may wonder later what it would have been like when its harder to explore. The only caveat is to remember California is a huge state. So takes some trips out and explore different parts. There is a lot of variety and just about every kind of landscape you could imagine including high mountain peaks like CO.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-26-2010 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 10:26 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
I could do San Diego or Denver...anyday of the week....Both of the cities beat Charlotte, NC hands down...

Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 AM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
Quote:
I agree somewhat with Limitup and think you are being too hard on him.

I think a better way of saying what he is trying to say, is, if Denver was just as expensive as San Diego, and money was no option, a majority of people would prefer to live in San Diego than Denver. And that the main benefit of Denver over San Diego is that you can get by on less.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
And that the main benefit of Denver over San Diego is that you can get by on less.
That's the main benefit that (insert a city) has over San Diego. In many ways I've found natives and new full fledged San Diegans to be alot like people from NYC. Full of blind pride, the world ends just after the city limits, although NYC has more to offer than San Diego and is overall much more appealing and probably has a justification for their attitude.

We'll be easy on limitup god forbid someone pick a city for other reasons than the beach and weather.
Count me as one of the people that would pick Denver over San Diego and more bang for your buck is down on the bottom for list of reasons.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
To me, when dealing with two nice but very different cities, the choice is largely economic and family oriented. Which one provides a better economic opportunity FOR YOU and which one is closer to friends/family FOR YOU. I love San Diego and my job is here as are members of my extended family. So for me, San Diego is far preferable to Denver. If my family and a job were in Denver, I'd choose it even though I prefer San Diego's location/weather. It's not as if Denver is Detroit/Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego