Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:16 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,748 times

Advertisements

Even though it would be unusual for this to happen let's think about it. What if there was an earthquake large enough to produce a Tsunami? Everyone is warned all over the California coast and San Diego coastal areas. How far inland would it go? Are we prepared for an earthquake/tsunami of large magnitude? Would there be chaos all over the streets of people trying to get to higher ground? How much damage? Share your thoughts please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:58 PM

204 posts, read 641,734 times
I believe there was a tsunami here in the 1850's. We probably aren't very prepared for one like the places that have an emergency system where they use an alarm. They mostly hit the bays for some reason. I'm just recalling information from when I researched it a few years back. I was living on the beach in Pacific Beach with only a four feet wall, my deck and my sliding glass doors between me and the water. I was constantly having tsunami nightmares so I researched what to do in the even of one.

One time a few years back, Pb was issued a tsunami warning so I had my emergency plan in place: grab dog and put cat under arm like a football, grab jewelry, grab the photo album and OUT in 5 mins or less to head to high ground. My plan was awesome and well executed but I guess I shook the cat too much and he puked all over my belongings.
Moral of the pointless story: You need 6 mins to take the cat gently to the car unshaken.

All kidding aside, a tsunami could happen here, so get to high ground quickly.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:23 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,158,957 times
Keep some food, water, tent, sleeping bag, and a crowbar or wrecking bar (to help move debris off the road) in the car.

Keep some food, water, toilet paper, tent, sleeping bag, a little cash, and a flashlight in a daypack along with your jewelry, important papers or copies thereof, and hard copy of important contacts in a large daypack or small backpack right by your door. It's best for the flashlight to be an LED headlamp, which leaves your hands free.

The food should be ready to eat, whether junk food that won't melt in hot weather, MREs, or Coast Guard type rations: Survivor Industries - Mainstay 2400 pack - Emergency Food Rations

These are basic prepardness tips that work for any of the possible disasters in So Cal, whether tsunamis or earthquake or wildfire.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:49 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Even though it would be unusual for this to happen let's think about it. What if there was an earthquake large enough to produce a Tsunami? Everyone is warned all over the California coast and San Diego coastal areas. How far inland would it go? Are we prepared for an earthquake/tsunami of large magnitude? Would there be chaos all over the streets of people trying to get to higher ground? How much damage? Share your thoughts please.
I know that the one place that I wouldn't want to be during a Tsunami situation in the SD area is in Coronado. The Village and the Silver Strand are completely flat. The entire Village and Strand would be swallowed whole by the Sea.

Plus, before the waves hit, it would be impossible to get off the peninsula do to backed up traffic from everyone trying to leave at once through the only two ways in and out of Coronado.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:01 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
One thing So Cal has going for it is the lack of offshore plate boundaries. This eliminates the possibility of what happened in the Indian Ocean at Banda Aceh, which was almost immediately inundated by the megathrust earthquake offshore, with coastal Thailand following a shortly thereafter.

Coastal So Cal should have plenty of warning to GTFO of Dodge.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
I'll be higher up in the hills--Poway. Thinking that should be safer....

Old 06-04-2010, 01:01 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
goodbye seaworld?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
goodbye seaworld?
The options would increase dramatically with all of the new water-filled locations.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:26 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
The options would increase dramatically with all of the new water-filled locations.
goodbye San diego Zoo plus animals, Balboa park, Little Italy, Lindbergh field, San Diego Trolley, Coaster, Del Mar Fairgrounds, etc

Old 06-05-2010, 07:37 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,860 times
This is an uplifting thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego