Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 02:04 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times

Advertisements

______________ (fill in whatever you want) are the worst drivers. Blah, blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Default Driving as analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Haha, that's so true.

I'm just used the the particular flavor of bad driving here, so unless somone's pulling some SERIOUSLY egregious sh*** I don't really notice too much. When I go elsewhere I notice people's bad driving habits so much more- probably both because I'm more alert when it's not my "turf" and because (at least I've noticed) driving patterns vary from region to region.

Point is, it's not so much different here than there, it's just what you're used to

Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
If this same scenario happened in certain sections of New York City or Chicago or Los Angeles, etc., you probably would have been shot or stabbed. Be glad the hippies in Leucadia just made you feel like outsiders.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I'm a San Diego native - and in fact am a fifth generation native - and I've never had a problem making friends here.

So the people in San Diego tend to be a little more aggressive than you're used to? Every place has a different vibe - and if you want to be friends with the natives, you need to jump in and start swimming. If you sit on the sidelines, and fret about all the ways "it's different than you're used to" - well then you'll most likely be lonely for a long time.

As for the title of this thread, you had one relatively minor negative experience two years ago, and that's the story you chose to tell to illustrate your feelings about your new city? I think that's sad. Haven't you had any good experiences? Why the old story? Let it go, because you can meet rude people anywhere - even in your old hometown - so why let one rather minor run-in, two years ago, continue to color your view of your new home?
Yes I agree with your post; I think your point is key, too...
SD natives....the operative phrase here...
I have found natives to be very different than folks who recently moved here.

Obviously, this is just a generalization-but i've seen it enough to stand by my experience.
My spouse, his family, multiple friends...all who've grown up in SD, f or at least this one generation, simply are more down to earth, and more polite.

I do believe SD is growing so much that it is taking on some of the characteristics of larger metro areas, and with a distinict so cal way of doing so....the combination can be unpleasant at times.

I agree, though, title of the thread is a little silly.

As for driving, as someone mentioned, we just drove in rome, and other parts of italy, and reputation aside, boston and nyc are far worse...and sd is hands down the mellowest. However, SD is changing, like I said, and that includes drivers, unfortunately. sigh. I could stand for drivers to be MUCH kinder and more courteous towards pedestrians at intersections, including when one is w/children!!!! and I'm seeing a re-rise the great SUV phase...unfortunately. They are everywhere again-and I DO find SUV drivers far more agressive, oblivious and downright rude, than other drivers.
It makes me sad, frankly, when SD used to be far mellower and different than other places.

Speaking of....do people realize how ludicris they look, driving a car that was meant for a WY ranch, but in so cal on a freeway?
We don't even have WINTER here.
Insane. Ends rant.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:09 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Yea, except there's NO WAY you could put SD in that blank...seriously...
SD is so mellow compared to LA, NY, BOSTON [which is really in it's own category,and yes, I am from boston originally...], SFO, and that's not covering rome, paris, etc.

The worst driving in SD is when or right after it rains. No clue how to drive in any kind of weather here....

Old 06-07-2010, 09:23 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
haha, San Diego is a funny place sometimes. People complain on here how people are too slow, too laid back, too tame/soft then others complain how they are too aggressive, too rude, etc.. I think part of the problem is too many out of state transplants that are too stuck on their old lifestyle and what they think a place should be like according to where they came from. Also I'm not sure I'd lend too much credibility to someone whose only has one post and hasn't logged in since it was first posted and probably won't anymore.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
The worst driving in SD is when or right after it rains. No clue how to drive in any kind of weather here....
That's my only complaint as well. There have been times when my drive from Spring Valley to Linda Vista has doubled just because of rain. I don't care if there was a freak snowstorm - - it should never take an hour to drive between those two points!

Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 PM

231 posts, read 640,106 times
I hear both sides, I think it's hard to summarize 3+ million people in the metro area (not including thousands of tourists at any given moment).

Old 06-07-2010, 10:07 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
That's my only complaint as well. There have been times when my drive from Spring Valley to Linda Vista has doubled just because of rain. I don't care if there was a freak snowstorm - - it should never take an hour to drive between those two points!
I've said it before, but I believe the reason people drive slow in the rain here is because it doesn't rain often. It's not that people don't know how to drive in the rain. When it does rain, the roads are slippery as hell from all the oil that comes up to the surface.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:38 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Try North Park to Escondido for a rainy day commute. Yeesh. Actually the other way around- it's almost never bad in the morning no matter what the weather, barring accidents, but I've had it take almost 2 hours to get home in the afternoon when it's slick and dark and stormy.

The only other time my Southbound commute sucked like that was when there was a Padre game and a Charger game starting at the same time in the afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego