Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:23 AM

9 posts, read 16,546 times

Advertisements

I am moving down to San Diego in a month and have pretty much decided on two neighborhoods: Fashion Valley or Hillcrest.

First: I assume fashion valley and mission valley are the same?

Second: Some people have told me Fashion valley floods when it rains, and a couple searches on Google show it flooding near Fashion Valley Mall. Are there any areas you recommend avoiding? I saw a couple nice apartments on Friars Road across Riverwalk Golf Club, but not sure if it will flood there or not. Also, a lot of apartments on Craigslist list new flooring and make me think they had to get new flooring because the old ones were flooded.

Third: Any good communities you can recommend? There was a similar thread to this, which I did not want to hijack, but I am looking to spend approximately $1200/month for a 1 bedroom. The one nice community I heard of was Mission Plaza, anything else?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
I remember your previous posts... you're working for Qualcomm right? Is it the Qualcomm in Sorrento Valley or somewhere else?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Yes, its the Qualcomm in Sorrento Valley.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:07 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Hillcrest

Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
If you're gay, I'd live in Hillcrest. You'll feel at home and the commute to Sorrento Valley is mostly freeway.

However, if you're a straight young guy I'd live near the beach. North PB or Bird Rock are my favorites. There's always something to do in La Jolla, PB, or Mission Bay.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:37 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Less competition if you're hetero in HC.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:50 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Mission Plaza in MV is where I lived when I first moved to SD, back about 30 years ago. I thought they were converted to condos? Anyway, it's a nice complex, but hopefully it has been renovated, it's off the main roads so pretty quiet, and close to shopping, freeway access, etc. IMO, it's really a good place to start when one first moves here and you can check out all the areas.

Mission Valley does "flood" once in a while but it's very rare and not extreme, so I wouldn't worry about it. We don't get that much serious rain here.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:08 PM

Any good communities in Hillcrest you guys can recommend? Want to spend approx $1200/month for a 1 bedroom.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:09 PM

231 posts, read 640,172 times
Hillcrest is fun with its restaurants, shops, proximity to Balboa Park and more progressive attitude. You can also find a more unique styled house or apartment instead of the cookie cutter places in Fashion Valley. If you are homophobic I would probably recommend avoiding Hillcrest.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:24 PM

8 posts, read 61,259 times
Yes, fashion valley and mission valley are the same, although we refer to it just as mission valley. I would choose Hillcrest myself. It is a cute, well-established 'hood with a lot of restaurants and stores w/in walking distance. I used to live in the area and I would walk to get a facial, and then walk to grab some Mexican food, then stop at Whole Foods on the stroll back to my apartment. I loved it. You can't do that in MV. The apartments/condos there (and maybe the homes also) are newer, bigger, and the area can get pretty congested when the Charges are playing at home. That area is too sterile for my taste; no character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: