Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,029 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be going to Mills College in Oakland. She is not familar with the area but has heard that Lake Merritt and Temescal are close to the school and safe. Are these areas safe? What specific areas in lake Merritt and Temescal are considerd safe? Any problems getting from Mills to these areas? Thanks, john
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 11:01 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,556 times
Oakland is a hodge-podge of extremely violent areas, and somewhat okay areas. Overall, the city is the most dangerous large city in the state, so keep that in mind. Some areas of Lake Merritt are okay. The area near West Grand and Lee Street are okay, I would still tell your daughter to stay in at night.

Temescal has been turning around in the past 10 years but I would still check the crime report online:
Oakland Crimespotting

I do remember Temescal having a lot of auto theft when I used to live in the area.

If you see a lot of violent crime near any area, just avoid it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Oakland is a hodge-podge of extremely violent areas, and somewhat okay areas. Overall, the city is the most dangerous large city in the state, so keep that in mind. Some areas of Lake Merritt are okay. The area near West Grand and Lee Street are okay, I would still tell your daughter to stay in at night.

Temescal has been turning around in the past 10 years but I would still check the crime report online:
Oakland Crimespotting

I do remember Temescal having a lot of auto theft when I used to live in the area.

If you see a lot of violent crime near any area, just avoid it. Better to be safe than sorry.

So now you lived in the area? rofl... you lived in Berkeley.

Anyway, Lake Meritt is not particularly close to Mills College. Mills is next to Seminary Ave in Deep East Oakland. If she's not familiar with that type of area, then as a rule of thumb she should avoid anywhere past High St. Laurel is a fairly safe neighborhood that's a lot closer to Mills than Lake Meritt, and also a lot cheaper. It also has a robust strip on MacArthur Blvd.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
So now you lived in the area? rofl... you lived in Berkeley.

First off, Berkeley and Temescal are only 3 miles apart.

Secondly, I know it's hard for you, but try not to troll this thread just because you want to follow me around. The OP needs information on where to house his DAUGHTER.

I know you haven't gotten to the point in your life where you can raise kids, so trust me when I say, this is very important for the OP.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
First off, Berkeley and Temescal are only 3 miles apart.

Secondly, I know it's hard for you, but try not to troll this thread just because you want to follow me around. The OP needs information on where to house his DAUGHTER.

I know you haven't gotten to the point in your life where you can raise kids, so trust me when I say, this is very important for the OP.

The difference is, I actually live in Oakland right now... Oakland was a very different city even 10 years ago.

And I would advise the OP to say what her budget is... if he's hell bent on her living in the lake meritt area then he should be ready to spend upwards of $2,000 a month.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:53 AM

Umm you can find one bedroom apartments on Craigslist right now near the Lake for around $1500.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Umm you can find one bedroom apartments on Craigslist right now near the Lake for around $1500.

$1500 for a studio is rediculous. We're paying less than that for a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bathroom in Dimond.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:38 PM

There is a big difference in "desirability" between Dimon and Lake Merritt, for good reason.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:21 PM

74 posts, read 149,596 times
Temescal has a lot going on in terms of new restaurants and bars, but it's pretty far from Mills and it is pretty close to some of the worse areas of West and North Oakland; it would be okay for someone who is familiar with an urban environment and wants a lot going on. Same would be true for Uptown. Rockridge and Piedmont Ave. are also good neighborhoods with lots of post-college people around, but much more yuppified. Lake Merritt varies -- on the east side closer to 880 is more of a lower income, Asian neighborhood. As you get closer to 580, it gets to be young professional, with a stable neighborhood of nice houses just east of the apartments along the lake. On the west side, there are lots of large apartment complexes close to downtown that I'd avoid, and then it gets more residential along Grand up to 580, although I personally prefer the area above 580, which is comprised of the Grand/Lake and Lakeshore neighborhoods. That area has a great farmer's market, a Trader Joes, Arizmendi bakery, coffee shops, etc. Also very convenient to Mills.

Dimond, discussed above, has changed a lot even in the last couple years, with the opening of the Farmer Joes grocery store. I always feel safe there, but it's not as established as some of the other neighborhoods. I actually live right next to Mills in Maxwell Park, but it's a sleepy, quiet neighborhoood, not the best fit for a college student.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
I thought Jerry (moon beam) Brown fixed all that while he was mayor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland