Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:57 PM

814 posts, read 670,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
Why even bother anymore with the troll, it's boring now and is the same garbage over and over. It does not care about facts. Moving on.

In relationship to SF, Oakland may be similar to Brooklyn, but I don't think they are THAT much alike aside from the perception of both cities. Being that Brooklyn is the size of SF and Oakland Combined population wise it's just a different overall feel . Brooklyn is way more dense and feels more alive than Oakland. More of a nightlife etc as well which is due to the size of the city.

I think restaurant wise, Oakland has BK beat though. I think Brooklyn and Oakland Rent Prices are fairly similar and you do have a fairly large art scene there probably dwarfs Oakland's.

I can't say for sure but from what I remember there seems to be a ton of artists moving into Bed Stuy etc just like they are moving into west oakland and prices are pretty close. I think west oakland may be a little more expensive than the Bed Stuy area. As for the jazz clubs they have Oakland destroyed in this department.
Thanks for the feedback, Brooklyn sounds like it would be a good place to check out. I've been cruising the streets with google earth (insane technology) the last few weeks and it seems it's much more dense and historic.

Would like to still know the parking situation over there!

Mr. Fantastic stop diluting my thread with your spiteful ego driven posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 04:08 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Im not gonna do entire boroughs but neighborhoods based on my experience living in both areas-also many of these areas don't look alike but they are similar in the kind of people who live there.

Williamsburg=Mission/ Valencia
Park Slope=Rockridge/ Temescal or Noe Valley
Upper West Side=Marina District
Upper East Side=Pacific Heights
Greenwich Village=Hayes Valley/Duboce Triangle
SoHo=Union Square
Tribeca=Telegraph Hill/Russian Hill
Little Italy=North Beach
Chinatown NY=Chinatown SF
Chinatown Flushing=Chinatown Oakland(obviously on a smaller scale-LOL)
Bayside(Queens)=Cleveland Heights/Merritt/Ivy Hill/ Clinton
Jamaica Estates(Queens)=Lakeshore/Grand
Forest Hills(Queens)=Lake Merced(area around SF State)
Downtown Brooklyn=Downtown Oakland(wish DT Oak were as vibrant tho)
Bayridge(Brooklyn)=Sunset
Flatbush(Brooklyn)=Maxwell Park/ Frick/Seminary/Eastmont Hills

Keep in mind this is off the top of my head and obviously there is room for debate.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:26 PM

814 posts, read 670,235 times
thank you for the list! looks like Google earth will be on fire tonight haha...thanks

Old 06-14-2010, 04:37 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
thank you for the list! looks like Google earth will be on fire tonight haha...thanks
ur more than welcome. Just keep in mind as I said in my post that many of these areas might not physically look alike-but the demographics are similar in my experience.

Well, good luck.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:50 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, Brooklyn sounds like it would be a good place to check out. I've been cruising the streets with google earth (insane technology) the last few weeks and it seems it's much more dense and historic.

Seriously, just do this:

Today 02:07 PM Mr. Fantastic This user is on your Ignore List.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:55 PM

282 posts, read 382,344 times
Quote:

Definitelya place you must check out. Parking I can be bad from what I've seen depending on where you go, but since I never drove when I was NY I can't give you a definite answer lol

Old 06-14-2010, 05:31 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
mr fantastic i don't believe that a graduate student not living in the worst parts of oakland and not involved in gangs or criminal activity would see the amount of violent felonies you claim to have seen.

your obsession with oakland is bizarre and disturbing.i don't know if you were butt raped by someone from oakland or some other problem but you appear to have psychiatric issues and should seek therapy.
A lot of graduate students live in Oakland and commute to Berkeley, many of whom I was friends with. I witnessed a lot of crimes in Oakland, some very violent.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:32 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
Well, in the spirit of cherry-picking stories, I was driving in Berkeley one time and saw a gunshot murder victim lying in the middle of the road on Telegraph.
That's a rare occurrence in Berkeley. Berkeley is usually in the single digits year after year in terms of murders.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Led

145 posts, read 423,310 times
Maybe Queens on a good day.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:57 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
mr fantastic -you always mention oaklands homicides numbers to try to argue that unless you are wealthy you are at risk in oakland.

this is not true.the homicides in oakland are highly localized to specific parts of the city.in addition the homicide victims in oakland are largely young african american and hispanic males standing on street corners in the worst parts of oakland between 8:00pm and 3:00am. most are involved gang drug or criminal activity as 40% of the victims are on parole or probation.

your response to these facts is usually to accuse the poster of racism .this is an obvious attempt at a red herring to deflect attention from the fact that most oakland residents do not fit the demographics of a likely homicide victim and are not at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland