Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Durant Manor is another diamond in the rough. I like this neighborhood because its pretty quiet and they keep their homes nice. Located in the Deep East, DM borders San Leandro.

Durant Manor has seen many newer housing units come online in recent years-and that's interesting. Much of it just behind Durant Square.
Yes it is rough.

Durant Manor has had three violent assaults in the past week alone.
Durant Manor, Oakland, CA Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

It's also precariously close to some of the more shady areas of the East Bay.

If you think I'm belaboring the point too much, then think again. I'm trying to show you that it's unconscionable that you are recommending these neighborhoods to people without doing any research about the crime in the area.

I'm simply here to provide the other side of the page that you're hiding from potential buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 10:55 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
The neighborhood has had almost a dozen robberies and thefts this month alone, and June isn't even over. Add the assaults, and the rampant vandalism, and you have a neighborhood that would be an absolute headache to live in.
Maxwell Park is a nice neighborhood that continues to attract middle class and upper middle class families.

Crime stats notwithstanding-Maxwell Park is diverse, is centrally located, has very nice, well kept homes, has striking views of the bay and hills, and its very quiet.

You are not from Oakland, have no experience with the place and have an opinion that is based on racist attitudes and prejudices.

We know how you feel about us colored folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic
For instance, I routinely serve less food at the restaurant I work at to Hispanics. They are none the wiser.

//www.city-data.com/forum/13447406-post62.html

Old 06-18-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Yes it is rough.

Durant Manor has had three violent assaults in the past week alone.
Durant Manor, Oakland, CA Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

It's also precariously close to some of the more shady areas of the East Bay.

If you think I'm belaboring the point too much, then think again. I'm trying to show you that it's unconscionable that you are recommending these neighborhoods to people without doing any research about the crime in the area.

I'm simply here to provide the other side of the page that you're hiding from potential buyers.
Durant Manor is a diamond in the rough. Its not a bad area imo. There are issues with some neighborhoods around DM, but DM itself is quite livable and quiet.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
I think the discussion is interesting, because (most) everyone has valid points. I live in Millsmont, and it's a mixed bag--probably 2/3 of the folks are lower-to solidly middle class in the area (probably earning between $80-160K with 0-2 kids), and then we have the other apx. 1/3 of the folks who are in government-assisted housing or legacy homes/apartments who are likely low income and some with substance/criminal issues.
Excellent.

Millsmont is another area that is a very promising prospect for middle class to upper middle class families. It runs the gamut from really nicer parts to shadier parts down by Mac/Foothill. Very interesting actually.

(my aunt and uncle(we're Tongan) live on Mokelumne btw)

Millsmont Average Household Income: $50,999

3bd/1bth for $400,000-not bad at all.

2bd/1bth fixer for $199,000

3bd/2bth for $290,000

Quote:
As most things in Oakland, the biggest challenges we all face as middle-class families in our area are--quality of life crime traditionally that is morphing into occasionally a higher priority crime issue (based on what I see on our neighborhood email group, not what I've experienced personally) most of the problems stemming from renters and those living in "legacy homes"; education (so far we either have pre-school kids or gotten our kids into decent elementary schools (we are no longer served by a nearby elementary school), but middle school and high school will be a challenge no matter how you slice it). We also suffer from "small home syndrome". Many of us are in 2bd/1ba homes. While it's great in a way because we really pare down to essentials and don't overload our homes with extra crap, we'd also like an extra bathroom and usually an extra bedroom and a family room, since most of us have more than one kid. So at some point, some of us will have to move or build. The housing stock is really varied on the other hand, so it's possible to get a bigger home in the neighborhood if you really want to stay in the area.

It's those issues that cause some of us to include other cities like Albany, Alameda, or the suburbs as options for the next house, even though most of us would prefer to stay in Oakland if at all possible. Most of us really like Oakland, our homes, and many of the people in the neighborhood.
+1

Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Crime stats notwithstanding-
Well that's the crux of it.

You would rather forget that any crime happens in the neighborhoods you are recommending to people as potential places to buy. As a real estate professional, that type of attitude is unconscionable, self serving, and illegal in many states.

I on the other hand believe that all information should be on the table for any client.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Excellent.

Millsmont is another area that is a very promising prospect for middle class to upper middle class families. It runs the gamut from really nicer parts to shadier parts down by Mac/Foothill. Very interesting actually.

(my aunt and uncle(we're Tongan) live on Mokelumne btw)

Millsmont Average Household Income: $50,999

3bd/1bth for $400,000-not bad at all.

2bd/1bth fixer for $199,000

3bd/2bth for $290,000

+1
Most "middle class" families aren't going to want to live in a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom home.

$400,000 for 3 beds and ONE bath is about as bad as it gets in terms of value.

None of the homes you listed are actually good deals for what is middle class in Oakland (Median income = 48k).

Not to mention the crime report is spotty at best:
Millsmont, Oakland, CA Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

Old 06-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Well that's the crux of it.
The crux is that you are basically ignorant when it comes to Oakland. That has been woefully obvious from the first time you began posting in the SF Forum.

And now we have evidence that you have a deep-seeded hatred of at least one racial group:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic

For instance, I routinely serve less food at the restaurant I work at to Hispanics. They are none the wiser.

//www.city-data.com/forum/13447406-post62.html
This sort of explains your hatred of Oakland, a city that is overwhelmingly dominated by minorities. As I've stated in the past, what peeves you the most about Oakland is that it offers so much more pluses as a place to live then you ever imagined...its hilarious.

[quote]You would rather forget that any crime happens in the neighborhoods you are recommending to people as potential places to buy. [quote]
Never said that. There are other things to consider and in the case of many Oakland neighborhoods, the possibility of crime occurring isnt enough of a factor to keep many middle and upper middle class families away.

Maxwell Park is a great example of that.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:

$400,000 for 3 beds and ONE bath is about as bad as it gets in terms of value.
Welcome to the Urban Bay Area.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:41 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,069 times
Dude, is your ignore button broken?? LOL

I grew up in Oakland. There was a middle class the 70's, 80's and 90's.
There is a middle class there now.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:

And now we have evidence that you have a deep-seeded hatred of at least one racial group:
Takes one to know one right Kalen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair
Its also a fact that whites in this country spent 300 plus years stomping on black people, threw them in a ditch that they are still trying to claw their way out of.

Many have made it out, but many are still trying. 300 years of damage is going to take some time to overcome. And you are just going to have to deal with it. Their recovery is not going to be based on your timetable, but on theirs.

You do not get to piously generalize about all black people and all black communities without first confronting the insurmountable obstacles placed in their way by YOUR KIND.
//www.city-data.com/forum/14382808-post118.html
Then of course, after being rightfully called a racist by dozens of forum members, your half hearted, and humiliating apology:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair
I have received a few PMs about my last posts and I would like to clarify some things because we are an otherwise nice and friendly group in the SF Forum.

So my apologies to you if took any offense. I will tone down the rhetoric out of respect for you and the other forumers in the SF forum whom I also respect and will attempt to treat this issue with more tact.

Cordially,
Kalen
Talk about being destroyed by one's own words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland