Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2010, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA
36,666 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Reputation: 21255

Advertisements

Toler Heights
Average Household Income: $59,075
Pop. Density: 6,306 per sq mile


Toler Heights is located directly west of the 580 freeway at 98th Avenue. Its a hilly, wooded neighborhood that is the home of Bishop O'Dowd(Oakland's largest private school) and Holy Redeemer College.

Bishop O'Dowd


Oakland's Zoo is directly across the 580 from Toler Heights


Toler Heights has views.


Some homes currently for sale in Toler Heights

4bd/3bth for $389,000


2bd/1bth for $229,000


3bd/2.5bth for $160,000


The area is another location where we see lower and upper middle income familes co-existing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2010, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA
36,666 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Reputation: 21255
Okay, CH is not middle class but its very diverse. Here's a post I did in another subforum regarding diversity:

After doing a little research, I think Caballo Hills in Oakland is probably one of the most diverse affluent neighborhoods in the country.

Caballo Hills
Average Houshehold Income: $121,583
Pop Density: 984 per sq mile


The views up there are amazing...



http://sherrybenninger.com/images/46...m_blue_sky.jpg


http://www.listingproducer.com/Uploa...s/_smh2207.jpg


http://media.cdn-redfin.com/photo/10...472052_8_0.jpg


http://image3.examiner.com/images/bl...ckingham_1.jpg


http://sherrybenninger.com/images/4807calderwood_by.jpg


http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/l4f82a142-w0m.jpg


http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/ontheblock/2009/05/09/Rockingham_ext499x333.jpg


http://media.cdn-redfin.com/photo/10...40472052_1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 02:42 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,411,459 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Toler Heights
Average Household Income: $59,075
Pop. Density: 6,306 per sq mile


Toler Heights is located directly west of the 580 freeway at 98th Avenue. Its a hilly, wooded neighborhood that is the home of Bishop O'Dowd(Oakland's largest private school) and Holy Redeemer College.

Bishop O'Dowd


Oakland's Zoo is directly across the 580 from Toler Heights


Toler Heights has views.


Some homes currently for sale in Toler Heights

4bd/3bth for $389,000


2bd/1bth for $229,000


3bd/2.5bth for $160,000


The area is another location where we see lower and upper middle income familes co-existing.
I never paid much attention to the names of neighborhoods up there. My last few years in the Bay Area, I lived not far from the zoo. I lived on Burr st. right off 98th ave. I like that part of Oakland a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA
36,666 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Reputation: 21255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I never paid much attention to the names of neighborhoods up there. My last few years in the Bay Area, I lived not far from the zoo. I lived on Burr st. right off 98th ave. I like that part of Oakland a lot!
As far as the neighborhood names, I also didnt really think about the neighborhood names but its really interesting because it gives our homes and surrounding neighbors a name-an identity beyond just the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2010, 07:46 PM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,576 posts, read 9,169,267 times
Reputation: 3248
You have got to stop being dilusional. The american indian schools (both elementary and the high school are charter) are not traditional schools. You have to apply to get in, and they dont just let anyone into american indian high. Infact the american indian schools have been getting into some contraversy as people are saying they are trying to deliberately doctor their stats by over recruiting in heavily chinese/asian schools in laurel and diamond, specifically lincoln elementary.

But over all you have got much less of a chance of getting your kid into american indian high than you do getting them into bishop odowd. The only catch is you gotta pay money to bishop.

But as I have pointed out you do not have Children, nor do you seem to have much of a clue as to what parents want, or middle class people want. But thats okay, you can keep thinking oakland has a thriving and healthy robust middle class, with stable neighborhoods to live in. What ever makes you feel better.

But most people can see simple enough that the disparity between haves and have nots has never been worse in the bay area, and the forclosure crisis is not helping. Only the marginal neighborhoods are seeing reasonable price decline and many people have lost decades worth of equity if not all of it all together.

That might be your idea of whats needed for a stable middle class area, but it sure as hell aint mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA
36,666 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Reputation: 21255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
But as I have pointed out you do not have Children, nor do you seem to have much of a clue as to what parents want, or middle class people want.
What do they want? a huge house whose focal point is the garage? vapid-manic-depressive kids who learn that materialism is more important than forging meaningful relationships with all sorts of people-not just their own kind?

Are middle class families really only interested in making sure they spend hours in traffic just so they can have a big yard they can brag about and waste tons of water keeping green?

If those are the kinds of middle class families that you represent than you can keep the whole lot of them.

I am only interested in middle class families that want to contribute to a city-not flee from it. Middle class families who arent afraid of their damn shadow and middle class families whose kids will ride a city bus to school with ugh, black people, families that are in it for the long haul and want to explore the nooks and crannies of Oakland, who celebrate not only diversity, but urban living, not just running further and further away from the great things that urban life has to offer.

If that life is not for you then fine-but do NOT apply your definition of MIDDLE CLASS to everyone else.

Ironically the suburban mindset is all about that-conforming and losing a sense of individuality.

You can't even pick your own damn drapes in new subdivisions--what a ridiculous way to live. LMAO.


Quote:
But thats okay, you can keep thinking oakland has a thriving and healthy robust middle class, with stable neighborhoods to live in. What ever makes you feel better.
There are apparently many nice Oakland neighborhoods a middle class family can actually afford and would probably enjoy living in.

And by the numerous inquiries made on C-D by potential new Oakland residents, there is a lot of interest in Oakland.

Sorry haters. Go cry.

Quote:
That might be your idea of whats needed for a stable middle class area, but it sure as hell aint mine.
Good, stay where you are. I still don't understand why you, Mr Fantastic and the like, feel so strongly about telling the rest of us that we are wrong when your opinion is no more valid-and in the case of Oakland, your opinion is MUCH LESS valid than ours.

But keep it up if you want, your opposition is meaningless to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 5,256,429 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
You have got to stop being dilusional. The american indian schools (both elementary and the high school are charter) are not traditional schools. You have to apply to get in, and they dont just let anyone into american indian high. Infact the american indian schools have been getting into some contraversy as people are saying they are trying to deliberately doctor their stats by over recruiting in heavily chinese/asian schools in laurel and diamond, specifically lincoln elementary.

But over all you have got much less of a chance of getting your kid into american indian high than you do getting them into bishop odowd. The only catch is you gotta pay money to bishop.

But as I have pointed out you do not have Children, nor do you seem to have much of a clue as to what parents want, or middle class people want. But thats okay, you can keep thinking oakland has a thriving and healthy robust middle class, with stable neighborhoods to live in. What ever makes you feel better.

But most people can see simple enough that the disparity between haves and have nots has never been worse in the bay area, and the forclosure crisis is not helping. Only the marginal neighborhoods are seeing reasonable price decline and many people have lost decades worth of equity if not all of it all together.

That might be your idea of whats needed for a stable middle class area, but it sure as hell aint mine.
Excellent post.

18Montclair continues to try and paint some fantasy picture of Oakland as a middle-class paradise, when unemployment in the city is hovering around 20%, and the average workers makes $35,000. The city has the highest violent crime rate in the state, and has a 52% dropout rate. Great place to raise a family according to 18Montclair.

Then she goes and post pictures of $1,000,000 homes to "prove" Oakland is middle-class.

That is the epitome of delusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 5,256,429 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

And by the numerous inquiries made on C-D by potential new Oakland residents, there is a lot of interest in Oakland.

Sorry haters. Go cry.
Too much defending, not convinced.

You know, and I know, that the only reason Oakland gets ANY "inquiries" at all is because of price. Oakland neighborhoods are dirt cheap for the Bay Area, and there's a reason for that; You get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 03:10 PM
 
3,098 posts, read 3,789,000 times
Reputation: 2580
mr fantastic again i found your reasoning flawed and lacking.
"the average workers makes $35,000"
this number does not disaggregate what type of workers :highschool and college kids working after school,people who choose to work part time etc.

according to the us census data found by googling the phrase below:

"Oakland city, California
Selected Economic Characteristics: 2006-2008
Data Set: 2006-2008 American Community Survey 3-Year Estimates
Survey: American Community Survey "


Median earnings for male full-time, year-round workers dollars$46,383

Median earnings for female full-time, year-round workers dollars $44,690


furthermore when you differentiate household income were people work from those on puplic assistance of some kind(ssi,retirement etc)
you find
Mean earnings (dollars)
$76,027





when you remove the families on puplic assistance ,ssi and retired you will find that working families earn enough to live decently in oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA
36,666 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Reputation: 21255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Too much defending, not convinced.
Says the racist waiter.

Your opinion is about as valuable as the grotesque bird droppings your restaurant passes off as food. *gags*

Quote:
You know, and I know, that the only reason Oakland gets ANY "inquiries" at all is because of price.
Yes, in other words Oakland can accomodate more Middle Class Families for the price-no argument here. You act like being cheaper is something to be ashamed of?

Also, The $300,000-$400,000 range in Oakland is far more desirable than what that buys in SF. A beautiful house in a clean and quiet neighborhood-AND A BACKYARD? That's excellent.

2bd/1bth for $299,000
2626 56Th Avenue, Oakland, CA, 94605 - MLS #40462977 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.comĀ®
Such charm and curb appeal.


Just look at the craftsmanship. no bland suburban home for $299K could ever top this.


from cabinetry, countertops to floor tiles to appliances-just perfect.


Furthermore, people who can afford to live in the Oakland Hills can afford to live anywhere. And they happen to be Oakland's fastest growing demographic.

Households Earning $200,000+, 2007(growth rate 2005-2007)
Los Angeles 78,427, +32%
San Francisco 35,748, +52%
San Diego 29,223, +26%
San Jose 27,055, +41%
Oakland 8,985, +80%
Long Beach 6,255, +51%
Sacramento 4,733, +62%

They seem to be really impressed with Oakland.

Now, go buss a table or something and let the grown ups talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

Ā© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top