Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
I'm not familiar enough with lots of areas to say for sure, but I'd say the following are solidly middle class:

Piedmont Ave.
Grand Lake (middle class singles mostly)
Cleveland Heights
Upper Dimond
Laurel
Bushrod (middle/working class)
Adam's Point (lots of singles here too)

From my real estate searching, Eastmont Hills seems middle-class also.

I'd also throw Glenview, Trestle Glen, Montclair, Piedmont Pines, and Rockridge into the mix - they're well-off, but still middle (Glenview)/upper-middle (Montclair) - well-off but not wealthy.

Household income is a tricky measure; in high-density condo and apartment areas the per capita and household income are the same, skewing the numbers downward. Middle class is also difficult to define, especially where the line blurs between working/middle and middle/upper.

trestle glen/crocker highlands ,montclair and lower/upper rockridge have a lot of variation in price running from $650,000 to $2,000,00.
maybe i have too much of a working class background but the higher end areas seem to be approaching affluent more than middle class

$1,875,000
[SIZE=3]901 Hillcroft Cir, Oakland CA[/SIZE]
FEATURED

10 photos

by () on
OPEN ,
4 br / 5 ba

Trestle Glen (94610)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,103 times
The median income for an entire household in Oakland is 48k.
Designing A Socially Just Downtown in Oakland, CA With Grassroots Housing Advocacy

There is no middle class in Oakland.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:35 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
trestle glen/crocker highlands ,montclair and lower/upper rockridge have a lot of variation in price running from $650,000 to $2,000,00.
maybe i have too much of a working class background but the higher end areas seem to be approaching affluent more than middle class

$1,875,000
FEATURED

10 photos

by () on
OPEN ,
4 br / 5 ba

Trestle Glen (94610)
Yes, also, we think of rich being gated estates on large lots but in the Bay Area's more crowded areas, as in many crowded areas elsewhere, wealthy areas don't always fit the mold that most people envision when they think 'wealthy'.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:19 AM

527 posts, read 1,576,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post

$1,875,000
FEATURED

10 photos

by () on
OPEN ,
4 br / 5 ba

Trestle Glen (94610)
Well, true - I guess I just think about the people I know in those areas, who either live in the less expensive houses, or their family has been there for ages and it wasn't worth nearly as much when the family moved to the area.

In Piedmont Pines, the average household makes $150k and lives in a $1m house. This is a little less than a place like Orinda, which I would consider as being upper middle class rather than affluent. Anyway, it's just a feeling I have, but I'll happily relegate Piedmont Pines et al to the wealthy category if that's the general consensus

Does anyone know about Harrington, Allendale, Millsmont and Maxwell Park?

Last edited by lmk1707; 06-17-2010 at 12:02 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 12:31 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, also, we think of rich being gated estates on large lots but in the Bay Area's more crowded areas, as in many crowded areas elsewhere, wealthy areas don't always fit the mold that most people envision when they think 'wealthy'.
Here's a middle-class definition from Wikipedia that I thought was interesting:

Members of the middle class belong to diverse groups which overlap with each other. Overall, middle class persons, especially upper middle class individuals, are characterized by conceptualizing, creating and consulting. Thus, college education is one of the main indicators of middle class status. Income varies considerably from near the national median to well in excess of $100,000.[2][5] Household income figures, however, do not always reflect class status and standard of living, as they are largely influenced by the number of income earners and fail to recognize household size. It is therefore possible for a large, dual-earner, lower middle class household to out-earn a small, one-earner, upper middle class household.[6]

Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
Here's a middle-class definition from Wikipedia that I thought was interesting:

Members of the middle class belong to diverse groups which overlap with each other. Overall, middle class persons, especially upper middle class individuals, are characterized by conceptualizing, creating and consulting. Thus, college education is one of the main indicators of middle class status. Income varies considerably from near the national median to well in excess of $100,000.[2][5] Household income figures, however, do not always reflect class status and standard of living, as they are largely influenced by the number of income earners and fail to recognize household size. It is therefore possible for a large, dual-earner, lower middle class household to out-earn a small, one-earner, upper middle class household.[6]
very good.

+1

so true. A single person who earns $60,000 is probably going to have a better standard of living than a family of 5 with a $100,000 income.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:57 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
When people mean there is no middle class in oakland they mean it in the cultural sense. Of course oakland has middle class people and neighborhoods almost exclusively of these people.

Every city does.

When people say there is no middle class the mean it in the coastal california sense. As in there are no stable middle class areas where a middle class person can afford to buy. Where are a couple of teachers making 40k a year each going to take their 2 boys, 1 girl, and 1 german shepard. Even in the rarity you find a place that is acceptable to your life style, Where you gonna get the 6k and 10k a year per child for elementary and high school tuition respectivel?. Let alone save money for their college, your retirement, and financial saving/padding. And forget about worldy vactions and fancy cars, most people are happy just to scrape by and make ends meat.
A middle class with little purchasing power and little padding between them in the poor house makes for an unstable economy, as is evidenced by all the california metro's unemployment rates.

And dont even get me started on the crime rate.

This is not a problem specific to oakland, nor the bay area. You see this all over coastal california and in manhattan. It's just at the worst end of the quality of life vs cost of living spectrum.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,103 times
Norcal is pretty much on the spot. Oakland has never, and for a long time, won't have a "middle-class".

In a city where the average person only makes $35,000 and the median HOUSEHOLD INCOME is only 48k, how can you expect to build a middle class?

Add high crime, and a high dropout rate, and you have a recipe for disaster. This is something new people (couples, families) looking to move to Oakland should consider.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
While I am pretty much on the spot as usual, oakland did have a middle class, it just kicked the bucket with the start of manufacturing decline in the us and was sped up with the crack-aids boom of the 80's (thats what really sent the middle class to the other side of the hill), and was finished with the dot com boom

Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post

This is not a problem specific to oakland, nor the bay area. You see this all over coastal california and in manhattan.
Basically.

Expensive areas will offer less for the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland