Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:34 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,260,403 times

Advertisements

West Oakland
Average Household Income $34,670
Pop. Density: 16,113 per sq mile

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 02:35 PM

282 posts, read 383,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
West Oakland
Average Household Income $34,670
Pop. Density: 16,113 per sq mile

That's Camden New Jersey but you already knew that. You're trying to be funny. CAN WE BAN THIS IDIOT PLEASE HE CONTRIBUTES NOTHING.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:35 PM

527 posts, read 1,578,922 times
I live in, and love, Cleveland Heights - I walk to the farmer's market every Saturday, eat more Ethiopian than most folks eat Mexican, jog the lake, visit the bird sanctuary, walk to downtown - much better than Piedmont Ave., in my opinion.

I believe the reason for the high prices is due to lack of housing stock. The neighborhood has a lot of apartment buildings, with less single family dwellings, and even less that are for sale. Rents, however, are cheap, and rental stock is abundant and nice if you know what to look for.

Lake Merritt from my roof:

View towards Park Ave. (you can tell by the palm trees where the big manor used to be):

Old 06-18-2010, 02:38 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,260,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
That's Camden New Jersey but you already knew that. You're trying to be funny. CAN WE BAN THIS IDIOT PLEASE HE CONTRIBUTES NOTHING.
Umm no, that's actually West Oakland and I've walked down that street numerous times. It's one of the few affordable places in Oakland based on the median income of the city.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:52 PM

36,684 posts, read 67,682,500 times
This is one of the most quintessentially middle-class areas of Oakland IMO. I've always found Laurel to be pleasant, centrally located and it has a very good shopping district. As in the other neighborhoods we've talked about, there is a strong sense of community in Laurel.

Laurel
Average Household Income: $64,857
Pop Density: 11,184 per sq mile

The neighborhood added 2 gorgeous arches at opposite ends of its retail strip a few years back.

World Grounds is a neighborhood institution

So is Farmer Joe's

Here are some homes currently for sale in the Laurel Neighborhood:

2bd/1.5bth for $439,000

2bd/2bth for $339,000

2bd/1bth for $199,000(the blocks between Macarthur and 580 in the Laurel District, behind the Lucky and Hollywood Video, are actually very livable imo)

OH, one more thing...

Laurel is home to 2 of the Bay Area's highest scoring schools.

San Francisco Bay Area Top High School API Scores, 2010
Oakland Charter High, Oakland, 955
Lowell High, San Francisco, 949
Mission San Jose High, Fremont, 949
American Indian Public High, Oakland, 946--is in Laurel
Monta Vista High, Cupertino, 935
Saratoga High, Saratoga, 933
Miramonte High, Orinda, 928
Pacific Collegiate Center, Santa Cruz, 928
Lynbrook High, San Jose, 925
Campolindo High, Moraga 919
Henry Gunn High, Palo Alto, 915
Dougherty Valley High, San Ramon, 905
Piedmont High, Piedmont, 903
Acalanes High, Lafayette, 902
Palo Alto High, Palo Alto 901

Oakland-East Bay's Top Middle School API Scores, 2010
Thornton Junior High School, Fremont, 987
American Indian Public Charter Middle School, Oakland 977---is in Laurel
Windemere Ranch Middle School, San Ramon, 947
Orinda Intermediate School, Orinda, 945
Oakland Charter Academy Middle School, Oakland, 943
Gale Ranch Middle School, San Ramon, 935
Diablo Vista Middle School, Danville, 933
American Indian Public Charter Middle School II, Oakland, 932
Piedmont Middle School, Piedmont, 928
Joaquin Moraga Middle School, Moraga, 921
Pleasanton Middle School, Pleasanton, 921
Harvest Park Middle School, Pleasanton, 921
Charlotte Wood Middle School, Danville, 920
Iron Horse Middle School, San Ramon, 918
Pine Valley Middle School, San Ramon, 911
Stone Valley Middle School, Alamo, 905
Los Cerros Middle School, Danville, 904
MH Stanley Middle School, Lafayette, 904

Last edited by 18Montclair; 06-18-2010 at 03:01 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
I live in, and love, Cleveland Heights - I walk to the farmer's market every Saturday, eat more Ethiopian than most folks eat Mexican, jog the lake, visit the bird sanctuary, walk to downtown - much better than Piedmont Ave., in my opinion.

I believe the reason for the high prices is due to lack of housing stock. The neighborhood has a lot of apartment buildings, with less single family dwellings, and even less that are for sale. Rents, however, are cheap, and rental stock is abundant and nice if you know what to look for.

Lake Merritt from my roof:

View towards Park Ave. (you can tell by the palm trees where the big manor used to be):
Just amazing pics! I HEART your neighborhood.

I even commented here several times a while back that I settled for Upper Rockridge because none of the houses I LOVE in Cleveland Heights were for sale.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
That's Camden New Jersey but you already knew that.
Ur right, this is definitely NOT West Oakland.

Quote:
You're trying to be funny. CAN WE BAN THIS IDIOT PLEASE HE CONTRIBUTES NOTHING.
He's trying so hard in vain to derail yet another thread...we'll see about that.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:07 PM

527 posts, read 1,578,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Just amazing pics! I HEART your neighborhood.

I even commented here several times a while back that I settled for Upper Rockridge because none of the houses I LOVE in Cleveland Heights were for sale.

I upped the asking price for the RE search to $4m, and there's still only two houses for sale - one is a 5br/3ba that I think you posted for $800k, which is a lot of house for the money, not to mention the views. I have serious love for this area, and my trendy European SF-dwelling boyfriend loves it too - I think we get some granola/hipster cred for hanging out at Cafe 504 and Boot and Shoe Service

I like Rockridge too, but the strip feels a little claustrophobic to me because of the dense traffic. I am also not quite of the right social group to fit in with the trendy stroller brigade.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
I have serious love for this area, and my trendy European SF-dwelling boyfriend loves it too - I think we get some granola/hipster cred for hanging out at Cafe 504 and Boot and Shoe Service
Well I discovered that area in high school(went to O-High) and one day there was no parking near the school so I had to drive a few blocks into the neighborhood to find a spot and was totally shocked at how NICE the area is...since then I've learned at lot more about the area and am totally in love with the place.

And yes, you get serious granola/hipster cred for going to those 2 places.

Quote:
I like Rockridge too, but the strip feels a little claustrophobic to me because of the dense traffic. I am also not quite of the right social group to fit in with the trendy stroller brigade.
Well, I really like Rockridge, but I too don't fit into the yuppie-foodie-power-soccer-mom demographic scene over there.

I mainly moved there cause I loved the house and the surrounding 10 or so blocks. They were homes built after the 1991 fire. But most of time in Oakland is spent in your neck of the woods and points east.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:32 PM

The Civic Center/Lakeside area is probably ideal for a middle-class single or a couple. Right in the heart of downtown, the area enjoys proximity to Oakland's uptown and waterfront areas, and is next to Chinatown, bordered to the East by Lake Merritt. Great location.

Civic Center/ Lakeside(the area around the Alameda Co Admin Bldg)
Average Household Income: $67,427
Pop. Density: 11,004 per sq mile

2bd/2bth condo for $360,000

1bd/2bth condo for $299,000

1bd/1bth condo for $399,900

Studio/1bth for $299,000
[IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland