Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:00 PM

77 posts, read 339,911 times

Advertisements

I have a Bachelor's degree in engineering and 3 years of work experience in the IT field as a Database Administrator. I am currently out of a job looking to go back to school to get my Master's degree.

I am looking for schools that offer a Master's degree in the field of Information Systems and I have come up with the below two schools that offer this program:

1) University of San Francisco, Cupertino Campus
2) Santa Clara University, Santa Clara

Can anybody tell me how these schools are in terms of reputation, quality of education, costs and most importantly future job opportunities?

The next two schools I am interested in do not offer the MSIS program. The closest degree they offer is Master of Science in Engineering Management. These schools are:

3) San Jose Sate University
4) California State University, East Bay

Can anybody who is familiar with the Bay Area schools and are in tune with the companies and job market give me the pros and cons of getting a Master's degree in Information Systems vs. Engineering Management. Also how do the 4 schools compare with each other?

Does one degree or one particular school offer me better opportunities in the long term?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 02:47 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,064,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
I have a Bachelor's degree in engineering and 3 years of work experience in the IT field as a Database Administrator. I am currently out of a job looking to go back to school to get my Master's degree.

I am looking for schools that offer a Master's degree in the field of Information Systems and I have come up with the below two schools that offer this program:

1) University of San Francisco, Cupertino Campus
2) Santa Clara University, Santa Clara

Can anybody tell me how these schools are in terms of reputation, quality of education, costs and most importantly future job opportunities?

The next two schools I am interested in do not offer the MSIS program. The closest degree they offer is Master of Science in Engineering Management. These schools are:

3) San Jose Sate University
4) California State University, East Bay

Can anybody who is familiar with the Bay Area schools and are in tune with the companies and job market give me the pros and cons of getting a Master's degree in Information Systems vs. Engineering Management. Also how do the 4 schools compare with each other?

Does one degree or one particular school offer me better opportunities in the long term?
Your location shows Houston. Are you looking to relocate and go to school, or are you already in the Bay Area?? None of those schools you mentioned are well respected for IT, IS, or Eng in this area. Where is your BS in Engineering from? Is it from Rice? Having worked in IT in the Bay Area for 12 years, I really can't see any of those schools being very well respected. If you are doing this to further your career in Silicon Valley, I think you are on the wrong path. Don't take this personally, I don't know what an MS IS degree is, but it sounds pretty worthless to me. What is Engineering management?? SJSU and CSU East Bay are not very good schools. The first two aren't very impressive either. It would be a waste of time and money. People in Silicon Valley are not impressed with those kind of degrees until they are from a really well known program. If you are really good at what you do, programming, DBA etc, you can get a good job without going to a top notch school.

Ahh.. I see that you are currently out of a job. That's tough, I know. I still say that what you are considering is a complete waste of time. You are better off continuing to network, and continuing to look for jobs. You say you have 3 years experience as DB admin. That's one of the hottest skills. Instead of getting a grad degree, consider doing something to build on your DB skills. Get some contract jobs, work for a temp firm, set up a blog, etc. I hear a lot of programmers who say they can still find work. Try looking for some freelance jobs as DBA or developer.

In summary, if you want the best opportunities long term, you need a degree from someplace like Stanford, Berkeley, Rice, etc. Of course those programs are hard to get into and very expensive. It's not something I'd recommend when you are out of work and have no money.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:04 PM

153 posts, read 381,788 times
An engineering/CS degree from Berkeley/Stanford, or even Rice will far outstrip anything from those four schools you mentioned in terms of prestige, as well as instruction. Although bay area tech scene/silicon valley doesn't follow a power structure as rigid as say, wall street, so if you're genuinely talented you'll be able to get a job w/o the need for a high-end education.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:11 PM

65 posts, read 184,037 times
I disagree with the last two post. A degree is needed if you look around.
All if not most employers are wanting experience plus a degree. Given that you have
exper. in IT already and have your degree. I would say you should be fine.
As always, if you can try to line up some interviews and visit before moving.
Overall I think you should be fine.
I've lived in SF all my life and have been inthe IT for over 8yr. But for me,
I never really got lucky and had a opportunity to advance in my field. Right now I'm
living in SD and attending college to get my BS in computer science infomation technology
management which I am hoping will open new doors.
From what I have heard n learned sp far. Employers will hire a person with little to
no experiense who has their BS, MS over a person that's doesn't have their degree. I too will
be moving back to the Bay Area as SD isn't all that great in the IT field. Good for science engineers
but not for infomation tech...

Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,064,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue04 View Post
I disagree with the last two post. A degree is needed if you look around.
All if not most employers are wanting experience plus a degree. Given that you have
exper. in IT already and have your degree. I would say you should be fine.
As always, if you can try to line up some interviews and visit before moving.
Overall I think you should be fine.
I've lived in SF all my life and have been inthe IT for over 8yr. But for me,
I never really got lucky and had a opportunity to advance in my field. Right now I'm
living in SD and attending college to get my BS in computer science infomation technology
management which I am hoping will open new doors.
From what I have heard n learned sp far. Employers will hire a person with little to
no experiense who has their BS, MS over a person that's doesn't have their degree. I too will
be moving back to the Bay Area as SD isn't all that great in the IT field. Good for science engineers
but not for infomation tech...
blue04, good luck to you and I hope everything works out for you. It definitely can be tough to move ahead. I think we are all saying basically the same thing. No one is saying that you can get ahead with just a high school degree anymore. It sounds like you were able to get into the IT field without a 4 year degree, but now it's probably too competitive for that to happen. Some schools are considered better than others, that's just a fact.

What made you decide to get your degree in San Diego instead of staying in San Francisco? Were you layed off or did you decide to go back to school first. Do you mind if I ask what school you are going to in San Diego??

Old 06-20-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
blue04, good luck to you and I hope everything works out for you. It definitely can be tough to move ahead. I think we are all saying basically the same thing. No one is saying that you can get ahead with just a high school degree anymore. It sounds like you were able to get into the IT field without a 4 year degree, but now it's probably too competitive for that to happen. Some schools are considered better than others, that's just a fact.

What made you decide to get your degree in San Diego instead of staying in San Francisco? Were you layed off or did you decide to go back to school first. Do you mind if I ask what school you are going to in San Diego??
Thanks, during my younger years when I attend CCSF. I drop out cause I wasn't able to keep up with the grades and work FT. When your living on your own and have to do everything at that young age. Things are pretty hard! later on I took my A+ and MCSE course which was a little over a year and that started my career in IT. I was at that time grateful and glad and hopeful things will go well finally as I am sure we all do. But like the old saying goes. Some people got lucky and landed a higher position not because they knew more but they just got lucky. The problem for IT jobs are most if not all of them were only contract position, least it was for me...

Competitive is being polite if anything nowadays. The problem is that most company's are outsourcing their IT services and support. Others are adding more duties that's not always related to the position and now all the employers are wanting MORE experience at a lesser pay. Plus adding a degree which makes it that much harder for many of us out there.

As for which schools are good and bad. That's kinda hard to say but I think there are some in general to stay away from. like Devry, ITTech, and Phoenix are the ones to stay away from. Not cause they are an online school but many employers will laugh and not even bother nor read your resume if they see that you got your degree from them. I'm attending National University here in SD and yes. it is a online course for the most part. Even the best Universities now offer online classes and actually found that the students are learning more and doing better cause of it. Trust me, I did a at of research on which schools are good and respected and National does rank up there.

I moved to SD cause I was dating someone whom I was very serious with. End result, well I'm single now and guys are NOT the only people that cheat.... Worst part of this was I quit my great job in the Bay when I came here. Yeah I know 'stupid' no need as I already know I only started school here cause I needed to get my degree to more forward. Plus there is a National University in San Jose when I do move back. I'm not planning to move to SF but around the Bay like Sunnyvale, Mountain View etc... which offer better weather overall compare to SF.

Bottom line is now you do need a degree. I even see help desk positions are for a degree. WTF!! That's just crazy and asking for way too much but hey. What the hell can we do right until you hit the lotto LOL

Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM

12 posts, read 29,241 times
Hi,

I noticed the thread and I know someone who attended USF for a masters in I.S. I believe he graduated last semester. He has not found a new job yet. I am not sure of the reputation. A coworker earned his MBA from Santa Clara in December 2009 and he has not found a related position yet. We are all in the tech field with 10 plus years of work experience in desktops, servers, and networks in San Francisco.

IT is a very difficult field at the moment. I would hate to discourage anyone but if you aren't too entrenched in the field I would move on to something else. Larger companies have outsourced or will outsource their IT departments to HP, IBM, etc. and employees will lost their jobs or be swallowed up by the It services companies. Employers are now buying IT services they need, and concentrating on their core businesses. In house, they likely need IT security and network architects. Everything else is likely outsourced or best shored(if one can stand that term). This has driven down salaries, and as one poster stated, employers are asking for superstars for their positions and offering reduced salaries. One only has to go to Dice.com - Job Search for Technology Professionals to see what I am referring to. I could go on and on but it's nothing really one hasn't heard already since the beginning of 2000 or earlier.

IT is not the only field undergoing this transformation but it's one I am in and I had to express my thoughts on it.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcallefty View Post
Hi,

I noticed the thread and I know someone who attended USF for a masters in I.S. I believe he graduated last semester. He has not found a new job yet. I am not sure of the reputation. A coworker earned his MBA from Santa Clara in December 2009 and he has not found a related position yet. We are all in the tech field with 10 plus years of work experience in desktops, servers, and networks in San Francisco.

IT is a very difficult field at the moment. I would hate to discourage anyone but if you aren't too entrenched in the field I would move on to something else. Larger companies have outsourced or will outsource their IT departments to HP, IBM, etc. and employees will lost their jobs or be swallowed up by the It services companies. Employers are now buying IT services they need, and concentrating on their core businesses. In house, they likely need IT security and network architects. Everything else is likely outsourced or best shored(if one can stand that term). This has driven down salaries, and as one poster stated, employers are asking for superstars for their positions and offering reduced salaries. One only has to go to Dice.com - Job Search for Technology Professionals to see what I am referring to. I could go on and on but it's nothing really one hasn't heard already since the beginning of 2000 or earlier.

IT is not the only field undergoing this transformation but it's one I am in and I had to express my thoughts on it.
boy do I hear and feel you on this. IT isn't what people think it is and I don't think is was never what people were thinking. Even in the so-call good old days with all the .com company's opening up. It was more of a contract position and I for one fell right into them all. Most of them were 3 ++ month and nothing they promised was ever given. For what we call a career, if feels more like just a job that don't offer any stability whatsoever. Like I said before, some people were lucky but most were doing contracts left and right.
I have read that all desktop and lite server position will no longer be in the near future. Maybe will get outsourced as said or added to the duties of the position they will fill.
I wanted to study something else but really I don't know what I can do. Very depressing really to read and hear what the future has in store for IT. One thing that scares the hell out of me is what was just said ^^^
Even with a degree people can't find a job and now they have added bills to pay back. What can we really do??
To the OP, I think it's best for you to just stay in Houston and I've heard Houston is doing pretty well in IT. Well compare to CA they are for sure. Even I was thinking at one point in moving to Houston. But having DBA experience is a BIG plus for sure. Correct me if I am wrong but most people have desktop / Service experience and that's what everyone is looking at and applying for. Engineers / Database Management and Security are what the future is now. So for people like me that only have been doing Frontend/Backend Support. Its a fight that seems to have no end which is why I am back at school going for my BS.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:44 PM

12 posts, read 29,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue04 View Post
boy do I hear and feel you on this. IT isn't what people think it is and I don't think is was never what people were thinking. Even in the so-call good old days with all the .com company's opening up. It was more of a contract position and I for one fell right into them all. Most of them were 3 ++ month and nothing they promised was ever given. For what we call a career, if feels more like just a job that don't offer any stability whatsoever. Like I said before, some people were lucky but most were doing contracts left and right.
I have read that all desktop and lite server position will no longer be in the near future. Maybe will get outsourced as said or added to the duties of the position they will fill.
I wanted to study something else but really I don't know what I can do. Very depressing really to read and hear what the future has in store for IT. One thing that scares the hell out of me is what was just said ^^^
Even with a degree people can't find a job and now they have added bills to pay back. What can we really do??
To the OP, I think it's best for you to just stay in Houston and I've heard Houston is doing pretty well in IT. Well compare to CA they are for sure. Even I was thinking at one point in moving to Houston. But having DBA experience is a BIG plus for sure. Correct me if I am wrong but most people have desktop / Service experience and that's what everyone is looking at and applying for. Engineers / Database Management and Security are what the future is now. So for people like me that only have been doing Frontend/Backend Support. Its a fight that seems to have no end which is why I am back at school going for my BS.
The dot com bust really shook out a lot of people who were in IT or starting out in IT. The current wave is virtualization and cloud computing. Supposedly, dt people are in demand again but I don't know at what rate. Network people are now faced with knowing servers, security, scripting, and just about anything else a keyboard can interact with. Network Engineering with some emphasis on VOIP and security is a good area to get into.

Word of caution: By the time one gets up to speed in any area of IT the target has moved. For instance, the Cisco CCIE R/S was the holy grail of network certifications. Now, it's still respected but it's really legacy at this point. and not likely to command the high rates it has in the past.

Blue, while I am sure you love IT, once you get your B.S. prepare for the next degree; possibly an MBA. Add business and project management skills to your technical skills. You'll find you'll be more attractive to employers or you might decide you want to be your own boss. Always be one step ahead of the market. Your future may depend on it.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcallefty View Post
The dot com bust really shook out a lot of people who were in IT or starting out in IT. The current wave is virtualization and cloud computing. Supposedly, dt people are in demand again but I don't know at what rate. Network people are now faced with knowing servers, security, scripting, and just about anything else a keyboard can interact with. Network Engineering with some emphasis on VOIP and security is a good area to get into.

Word of caution: By the time one gets up to speed in any area of IT the target has moved. For instance, the Cisco CCIE R/S was the holy grail of network certifications. Now, it's still respected but it's really legacy at this point. and not likely to command the high rates it has in the past.

Blue, while I am sure you love IT, once you get your B.S. prepare for the next degree; possibly an MBA. Add business and project management skills to your technical skills. You'll find you'll be more attractive to employers or you might decide you want to be your own boss. Always be one step ahead of the market. Your future may depend on it.
Thanks and the BS I am going for now actually focus on management and security both wireless and VOIP as well. Yeah, I recall back when the few who had their CCIE was in demand but was getting over 100K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland