Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:09 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Actually, even the foggy part of San Francisco receives 58% of the possible amount of sunshine per year. That's the same as or more than the percentage of sunshine received in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, OR, and a bunch of other US cities.
Whoever came up with the 58% number must be on something or it probably came out of SF tourism department to promote the city. For the western half of SF I think it will 20-30%. Stop being in denial!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Actually, even the foggy part of San Francisco receives 58% of the possible amount of sunshine per year. That's the same as or more than the percentage of sunshine received in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, OR, and a bunch of other US cities.

I think the problem is with expectations. People expect the beach in NorCal to be as sunny as it is in SoCal and it isn't (and some are even disappointed with SoCal as well). People don't expect it to be sunny in New York City all the time.
I see that you from San Jose. I am talking about SF here not SJ and FYI there is very little in common between SF and SJ weather. SJ weather is surely nice!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 AM

It does not matter if SFO is 14 or 44 or 440... If you are used to flying out of say DFW, one of the largest and busiest airports in the world, then SFO seems kind of inconsequential.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I see that you from San Jose. I am talking about SF here not SJ and FYI there is very little in common between SF and SJ weather. SJ weather is surely nice!
Andy please behave and spread kindness. Your welcome to come out and stay at my house and bring your wife! Get away from SF for the weekend and hang around with a fellow Texan. My partner is also from Texas!

Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
It does not matter if SFO is 14 or 44 or 440... If you are used to flying out of say DFW, one of the largest and busiest airports in the world, then SFO seems kind of inconsequential.
So in other words, you realize how idiotic your post was but now want to attempt to diminish it right? How typical.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,252 times
Quote:

Dude step away from the forum...your too negative and angry. It will be good for U.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:18 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Living part of the year in San Diego, and part of the year in the Bay Area, I would surely consider SFO a major airport! SD doesn't have ANY direct international flights to Europe, and they won't land 747s. That's a small airport. SFO gets quite a lot of traffic, and we have two more large regional airports to boot. It's not a major hub except, I think, for United, but all the big international carriers fly here.

I have decided I am getting on the bad SF weather bandwagon. We left the East Bay yesterday to go into the City, and it was dreadful -- overcast, a biting 30mph wind -- and when we got just across the Bay Bride to Emeryville again later, it was clear skies, no wind, bright sunshine. That's only a few miles away. And just 20 minutes inland from here, it's 95 degrees in Concord. At least that's summer. SF is having really crappy weather this year in particular. I would agree that there are only 2 good months in the western part of SF, compared to the opposite in places like San Jose, where there are only 2 bad months. So why does anyone live in the western part of the City, anyway? It's not cheap, or beautiful.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Living part of the year in San Diego, and part of the year in the Bay Area, I would surely consider SFO a major airport!
Only an idiot wouldn't. Its not really up for debate whether or not its a major airport. That's simply a fact.

Quote:
I have decided I am getting on the bad SF weather bandwagon. We left the East Bay yesterday to go into the City, and it was dreadful -- overcast, a biting 30mph wind -- and when we got just across the Bay Bride to Emeryville again later, it was clear skies, no wind, bright sunshine. That's only a few miles away. And just 20 minutes inland from here, it's 95 degrees in Concord. At least that's summer. SF is having really crappy weather this year in particular. I would agree that there are only 2 good months in the western part of SF, compared to the opposite in places like San Jose, where there are only 2 bad months. So why does anyone live in the western part of the City, anyway? It's not cheap, or beautiful.
I like this post of yours for several reasons. Everything here is accurate for the most part IMO. The first bold part is a nice reminder to the vapid, hard-headed imbeciles of times past that I've dealt with on here trying to deny the existence of micro-climates in this region. I like that you pointed out that your disappointment with the weather has to do with the fact that we have our unusual, cold summers here and that summer is somewhat different from the rest of the year - something one idiot in particular that posts here has been unable to recognize.

But I especially like that you specified that there only being 2 good months in San Francisco (if by "good" one means "warm/sunny" since weather preferences are subjective) is confined to the WEST SIDE of SF, rather than blanket a whole city incorrectly like that same moron I mentioned earlier does (I really doubt I even need to use his name at this point ). I also like that you've noted that this year in particular has been especially crappy and odd, as opposed to taking the same uneducated stance of posters like that same moron I've been mentioning and speaking on the weather patterns here year in and year out after only being here a few months. Thank you for giving your opinion constructively and avoiding the idiocy many of SF's critics delve into.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
SF is having really crappy weather this year in particular. I would agree that there are only 2 good months in the western part of SF, compared to the opposite in places like San Jose, where there are only 2 bad months. So why does anyone live in the western part of the City, anyway? It's not cheap, or beautiful.
SF is not having a crappy weather this year! The weather is actually resembling the long term average. So you can say the weather has been crappy here all along.

The western part of the city is significantly cheaper compared to many desirable parts of the city. For the most part it is not pretty except the areas around Golden Gate Park or the hills of Inner Sunset/Golden Gate Heights. But I guess the area is cheap mainly because it is not yet full with overpriced restaurants, trendy bars or boutique shops which attracts the wealthy yuppies like the flies are attracted to s*it! So I guess the good effect of bad weather is keeping out the yuppies/hipsters and assorted variety of other shallow, materialistic people for whom a 'trendy lifestyle' is actually more important that living-

Old 06-28-2010, 12:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Even when I lived in SoCal, I experienced a version of this living near the beach.

Sometimes we'd get a fog siege - around a week of endless fog with little to no burn off - and would go inland to see the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland