Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:12 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times

Advertisements

Umm... Not Ladera at all.

More like one of the nicer areas below Baldwin Hills by the Crenshaw Mall.

I haven't been to Compton in years, but that area of town is NOTHING like Compton of the 90's and early 2000s. ARe you talking about slauson by la cienaga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Then you'll be okay. The area of Oakland your talking about is much quieter and slower paced than what ur used to in LA.

I would even venture to say that Maxwell Park and Frick are like a lightweight Ladera Heights because both MP and Frick are predominantly Black and have many middle and upper middle income Black households.

Not as visibly wealthy as Ladera Heights, but demographically in the same vein.

Anyway, good luck to you.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:16 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Fist fight out in front of the Fairmont! LOL!
I believe around those parts they call it 'fisticuffs'

Old 06-24-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
I never said it was about "classiness", that's something you assumed on your own.
I didn't assume that you said this, it's right here in the thread:

Quote:
Nob Hill is actually a high class area
Quote:
My point was that both areas have lots of crime surrounding the area. But Nob Hill is considerably nicer in its immediate area than the border of Maxell/Seminary.
Units of "nice" aren't any more objectively measurable than units of "class," and the OP wasn't looking for either, he was asking about crime.

Quote:
So there is a benefit to living in Nob Hill, while there really isn't much benefit to living on 55th and Brookdale.
Of course there are benefits to living there, not the least of which is its affordability.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:19 PM

74 posts, read 149,563 times
The immediate area around 55th and Brookdale is nice, although there is a lot of traffic on 55th. There is also a boarded-up, foreclosed house on the corner of 55th and Brookdale that is an eyesore, although it's a beautiful old craftsman with an amazing porch. But Brookdale on both sides of 55th is a neighborly street. And just a couple blocks away, El Camile and Hillen are well-kept tree-lined streets.

But you would be pretty close to Foothill, which isn't that great. I walk my dog all around, and I feel the area bounded by 55th and 62nd, Foothill and International is one of the rougher areas in of Central East Oakland. I can only judge this by the general upkeep of the houses and large number of vicious dogs barking at me, because otherwise it's very quiet on Sunday morning when I'm walking through!

Old 06-24-2010, 07:33 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Umm... Not Ladera at all.

More like one of the nicer areas below Baldwin Hills by the Crenshaw Mall.
Well, I did say 'lightweight' Ladera Heights. LOL

Point is, Im guessing that generally speaking, the OP isnt going to feel very out of place.

Quote:
I haven't been to Compton in years, but that area of town is NOTHING like Compton of the 90's and early 2000s. ARe you talking about slauson by la cienaga?
Slauson by La Cienega as I remember it is Ladera Heights and is one of my favorite areas of Los Angeles.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
I didn't assume that you said this, it's right here in the thread:
Okay, where is it stated "it's about classiness"?
I'm simply pointing out a benefit of living in Nob Hill over an area of East Oakland (generally looked down upon in the East Bay as a place to live).

Quote:
Units of "nice" aren't any more objectively measurable than units of "class," and the OP wasn't looking for either, he was asking about crime.
I don't think anyone measures a neighborhood by "units of nice" when they look for a place to live. But even a child could tell you that Newport Coast is a better place to live than West Oakland. It's a benefit of location, and I implied nothing more.

Quote:
Of course there are benefits to living there, not the least of which is its affordability.
You pay for what you get.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Fist fight out in front of the Fairmont! LOL!
Bullets also:
http://www.youtube.com/v/9Hct6pbboNk&h

Old 06-24-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Okay, where is it stated "it's about classiness"?
I'm simply pointing out a benefit of living in Nob Hill over an area of East Oakland (generally looked down upon in the East Bay as a place to live).

I don't think anyone measures a neighborhood by "units of nice" when they look for a place to live. But even a child could tell you that Newport Coast is a better place to live than West Oakland. It's a benefit of location, and I implied nothing more.

You pay for what you get.
You just kicked into rapid-fire fallacy mode - three red herrings in a row is quite the feat.

To you, the benefit of living in Nob Hill is it's "nice" (not a quantifiable state), and East Oakland is "looked down on." That's funny, because both of those speak to perception of a place, and perception of a place is something you continuously claim has no bearing at all on the subject of where someone should live, and only cold, hard crime statistics can tell the whole story.

Newport Coast and West Oakland? Who was talking about those? The OP wants to know about a very specific area of East Oakland.

What you get in measurable terms is an area that has comparable crime to many urban neighborhoods, Nob Hill being one of them. If you want to bring perception into the equation, you have to allow that perception has merit when discussing the relative values of neighborhoods.

If you acknowledge that perception has merit, then you acknowledge there is more to a neighborhood than its crime stats. Therefore, the perception of people on here who live in certain neighborhoods becomes valid, particularly since most have greater amounts of more recent personal experience.

If you're going to argue with someone's subjective opinion, it should be with your own subjective opinion. If you're going to argue crime stats, you should allow for relative crime stats of other places.

Do you know one of the major reasons East Oakland is "generally looked down on"? It's almost never because of personal perception - it's because people, yourself included, attribute the worst crimes committed in Oakland and the deepest blight existing in Oakland to every single Oakland neighborhood, which is another egregious fallacy of logic.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:36 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Here is a GORGEOUS house that is just around the corner from Brookdale & 55th(on Ruth & 55th)
2bd/1bth for $389,000
I am SO tired of freaking neutral colors. There are real colors out there, people....

Like my aqua and pink dining/sewing room.... so restful....

Old 06-25-2010, 05:37 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
You did. ;-)

The parts of Ladera that I'm familiar with would be closer to homes off Sequoayah, Malcom, some of the Oak Knoll area. Although Ladera tends to have the 60's split level vibe. The area I'm thinking of towards BHills and Crenshaw has the older homeowner, transitioning, tucked away feel that parts of this area has. I'm going with my "feeling" when in each area.

Either way, I think the OP will feel fine.

Quote:
Well, I did say 'lightweight' Ladera Heights. LOL

Point is, Im guessing that generally speaking, the OP isnt going to feel very out of place.

Slauson by La Cienega as I remember it is Ladera Heights and is one of my favorite areas of Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland