Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:39 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
YThe area from Noe Valley in the south to Duboce Park in the North is a really cool area and fairly affordable though the housing stock is rather decrepit depending on the apartment.
That area is affordable???? I thought thats Castro and its one of the more desirable and expensive parts of the city! Find me a decent 2 br there for <2500 and I am moving there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 AM

334 posts, read 1,067,453 times
Im from LA and it is much easier to live in the city down south w/ kids there than in SF. There really isn't an SF equivalent to any of those areas you mentioned that I would live w/ kids, and I lived in Noe Valley/Mission area when I moved here during my pregnancy. You should look into San Jose area where you could walk to Santana Row, sort of a smaller 3rd St. Promenade type scene and much easier commute to Fremont. You can always go up to SF on the weekend. That is what most people do who want to enjoy the dining, shopping, and cultural activities of the city without the hassle, expense, and inconvenience of living there.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 PM

263 posts, read 529,993 times
There are no artsy neighborhoods in San Jose that I am aware of. San Jose is not an urban city by any stretch. Someone mentioned Santana Row in San Jose. The poster stated that he's an urban type - I can't imagine him liking Santana Row.

Berkeley would be out of the question due to commute time, as would northern SF. I think commuting from Bernal Heights/Mission/Noe Valley/Glen Park would be do-able (50 minutes). I'd also consider certain parts of Oakland, like Lake Merritt or Temescal. Schools there would be poor however, so keep that in mind.

Most of the east bay outside of Oakland/Berkeley is quite sterile and very suburban. One town that's actually somewhat interesting is Sunol, which would be a super easy commute to Fremont. It has more of a small town secluded feel to it, which I personally found much more appealing than places like Fremont or Pleasanton.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:37 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
in oakland consider TRESTLE GLEN/CROCKER HIGHLANDS ,ADAMSPOINT,LAKESIDE APARTMENT DISTRICT,LAKESHORE safe ,nice range of housing stock,restaurants
most important 15 minutes to sf and 30 minutes to fremont

Old 07-02-2010, 02:31 PM

76 posts, read 243,269 times
gotigers123, you're right. My wife and I are urban folks. That doesn't mean we need skyscrapers and lots of traffic, but definitely density, walkability, proximity to open space, and cool places to hang, like coffee houses, restaurants, the whole thing. We do like the Mission, haven't really looked at anything else outside of the downtown core (UnionSq, Financial, Chinatown, none of which is too kid friendly).

Old 07-02-2010, 03:49 PM

263 posts, read 529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired of being inside View Post
gotigers123, you're right. My wife and I are urban folks. That doesn't mean we need skyscrapers and lots of traffic, but definitely density, walkability, proximity to open space, and cool places to hang, like coffee houses, restaurants, the whole thing. We do like the Mission, haven't really looked at anything else outside of the downtown core (UnionSq, Financial, Chinatown, none of which is too kid friendly).
I live in the Mission now and I think it's a great neighborhood. However, the area isn't the most kid-friendly place. In fact, most of the neighborhood is downright anti-kid. If you're looking for a kid friendly place in the city (that also fits your other criteria), you should definitely check out Noe Valley. You'd still have access to the Mission restaurants/coffee/nightlife and you'd also have 24th St in Noe Valley.

I still think you should seriously consider parts of Oakland. Temescal and Lake Merritt would both fit your needs. It would shave 15 minutes off the commute, you wouldn't have to deal with crossing a bridge every day, the weather is better, you'd save money on rent, and parking your car would be much easier and cheaper.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I'd add Alameda to your list. It isn't urban, but completely walkable/bikeable and kid friendly. The "downtown" has both main street downtown and suburban strip mall. Main Street has lots of restaurants, bakeries, cafes, the usual suspects. The strip mall has safeway, trader joes and other suburban fare. There are lots of parks and a bay front beach. It's actually really charming.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
That area is affordable???? I thought thats Castro and its one of the more desirable and expensive parts of the city! Find me a decent 2 br there for <2500 and I am moving there...
OPEN HOUSE SATURDAY - Top Floor Apartment in Heart of Noe Valley (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/1822540696.html - broken link)

Have fun moving there! If that listing is legit that is a great location.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired of being inside View Post
I agree with gotigers that the "heart" of the Mission is not great for kids. Anywhere on or to the EAST of Mission Street is very dirty, sketchy, and there will be a lot of drug dealers and gang members. If you are on your own it's ok but I would not really recommend it for a single woman or for a family with young kids. Anywhere to the west of Valencia is a LOT better, quieter, safer and cleaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland