Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,071 times

Advertisements

I've been working in NYC for 3 months, but dislike my job and the city environment. Recently, I'm considering moving back to the Bay Area, however, I heard many negative things about the market condition over there. I'm interested in international business planning, marketing, financial advisory. I don't mind doing marketing or strategic planning for tech companies which Bay Area is full of. How is the overall job market for entry-level positions for recent bachelor's degree graduates in Bay Area versus in New York City? The unemployment rate in California is 14% compared to NY's 8%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Right now, the job market in NY is better.

My brother-in-law finished his residency in LA and wanted to move up North to be near he and his wife's(my sister) families but the positions he applied for each had hundreds of applicants. It was insane.

So he took a job in Philadelphia instead.

When the Bay Area job market is hot-no where is hotter.

But when its weak, its 'hella' weak.

LOL

Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,751 times
There really is no comparison, the NYC market is robust, and the the bay areas is not. Its really that simple.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:26 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
There really is no comparison, the NYC market is robust, and the the bay areas is not. Its really that simple.
More like the NY Job market has a cold and the SF job market is in the hospital with pneumonia.

I wouldnt characterize either as 'robust' in the least, but NY is doing better at the moment.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:22 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
People in NYC have told me that it's really rough there too. Things here are pretty bad too. I would sit tight and wait for the economy to get better, hopefully it does this fall or at least early next year, I was planning on moving to NYC but I'm going to wait until the economy gets better.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,257 times
I don't know how SF's job market compares to NYC's right now but it seems like a good share of hiring in SF is in the dot com type of companies- Twitter keeps expanding, Yelp seems to be hiring like crazy, and lots of web start ups are moving back into SoMa and Mission again

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/inthemission/detail?&entry_id=65794

Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 PM

306 posts, read 758,701 times
It depends on what you want to do. If you wanted to, say, be a public school teacher, no school district in California is hiring at all and New York City's is at least still hiring substitutes. New York is also surrounded by more other states and other cities with their own opportunities, and they're closer to it than anything is to San Francisco. With New York at least there are other places around it to look, too, while with San Francisco there are not.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 PM

334 posts, read 1,066,885 times
Our next door neighbor is an ivy league educated corporate attorney from a top firm (his boss had some issues so he had to leave, but wasn't fired or laid off, just a bad scene) and he absolutely positively could NOT find another legal job in San Francisco. He was oddly able to get several interviews in LA and landed a job down south. He up relocating his whole family to LA and renting his house out in the bay area because he cannot sell it due to being at least 300k underwater.

Unfortunately for us, they were in a hurry and rented their place to red necks w/ 3 over sized trucks that don't fit in the garage or driveway and actually hang past the side walk into the street! These things take up the entire culdesac when they are all parked here. It is so obnoxious.

Our other neighbor in corporate sales relocated his family to Texas because he couldn't find anything up here. They are also underwater on their house and rented it out. Not sure who those people are yet since they never come outside.

Finally the people across the street are also relocating and are in the process of renting out their underwater home as well. Not sure where they are going.

We are finally moving out of here as well. Yay! But just to another part of the bay area.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM

675 posts, read 1,189,929 times
It's true, it really depends on the career path. For instance, I'm in stock brokerage operations. Now, as far as being a stock broker, or financial advisor, you can do that pretty much anywhere. But operations is a little more specialized. When I lost my job in 2001, stock brokerage operations in San Francisco started to die everywhere. My company moved their operations to NYC and NC, after having operations for years in SF. Companies started doing the same, or even closing down (Robertson Stephens). So if you do something like Human Resources, they do that everywhere. But not every field is everwhere. Back in the 1990's, try finding tech companies outside of Silicon Valley and NYC, now they are everywhere. Hate to say it, but go where the work is. I hope to come back to the Bay Area some day, but I am not until I know I can continue my career out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland