Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 04:46 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times

Advertisements

Specifically the triangle bounded by 51st on the south, college on the east, and Hwy 24 on the west. Basically between Rockridge and the Temescal. I'm looking at a place near there tonight and I have never been around there. Bad? Good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 07:10 PM

304 posts, read 850,715 times
Break-ins at night have been a problem in the area in the past, but the police seem to have gotten that under control. It's a nice, busy area with a lot of foot traffic and a bohemian feel. Montclair is a safer neighborhood but that area is not bad.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Well I just went to see an apartment there and signed the lease. Really cool area, lots of nice restaurants and shops up and down College south of the Rockridge BART station. Seems like a really nice area, the apartment is on a quiet residential side street where everyone has their doors open and were sitting on their porches chatting. Very different from SF (where I live now)

Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Well I just went to see an apartment there and signed the lease. Really cool area, lots of nice restaurants and shops up and down College south of the Rockridge BART station. Seems like a really nice area, the apartment is on a quiet residential side street where everyone has their doors open and were sitting on their porches chatting. Very different from SF (where I live now)
If you like dive bars, check out Kaye's at 40th and Broadway or so. It's a good neighborhood, and I'm a fan of the super-CVS.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Good spot. Enjoy. You are between a bunch of neighborhoods there: Rockridge, Piedmont Ave and Temescal.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:42 AM

379 posts, read 785,515 times
Several of my classmates lived in this area when I was a grad student. It's not the most exciting area, but I wouldn't feel unsafe there. It's quiet and residential, plus near Ashby BART and some cute areas of Berkeley. Rents are affordable - a classmate told me she got a pet-friendly 1-br in-law unit for $1200 a month. Easy highway access, especially going away from SF.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:14 AM

Actually it's about half a mile south of the Rockridge BART station which is itself probably a mile SE of the Ashby station. It's definitely a nicer area than what I have seen around Ashby in south Berkeley. I think I'll like it, it was about 70 and sunny then when I got back to SF it was about 55 and cloudy and windy...

Old 07-09-2010, 10:18 AM

386 posts, read 797,277 times
There are plans and community discussions right now on the Safeway remodel at 51st and Broadway. That entire complex will be redone. There are also drawings to tear down the bank on the corner and build there, as well as developing the diagonal corner that is currently vacant save for a large billboard and new car storage that is fenced off. CVS is going to relocate, but I believe in the same complex. Since you are moving to the area, I suggest that you subscribe to the Rockridge Community Network and Rockridge Crime Watch which are both Yahoo groups to stay in touch with your surroundings. If you have trouble finding these, send me a PM.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:58 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I'm thinking of getting a bike since this area will be more spread out than what I'm used to in SF and so I could get around more quickly without having to wait for AC Transit buses which seem to run really infrequently compared to Muni.

If I lock up my bike when I leave it outside should it be ok, like outside a store while I'm shopping for half an hour? What about riding my bike to BART and leaving it there all day at a bike rack then riding home from BART to my apartment on the bike? I.e. is locking up a bike at Rockridge BART station all day a stupid idea?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 PM

386 posts, read 797,277 times
Rockridge BART has bike storage facilities on the west side of the station on the sidewalk near the ceramic tile memorial for the Oakland Hills fire. I don't know how to rent one so you would have to search the BART website. If you have a bike of value, I would recommend taking it with you or renting a storage locker. If you are commuting to SF or East, get a foldable bike. You can take them on BART during commute hours (when you can't bring a normal road or mountain bike) and not have to worry about locking it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland